Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by moomooman
This is more of a PHL airport employee issue than an a/c issue. With the city paralyzed by the snow, it will be very tough for people to get to work at the airport. Think agents, rampers, TSA etc. probably be a few days before things resemble normal. That said, AS should be able to recover quicker without airplanes and crews stranded all over the eastern seaboard.
In DFW a couple months ago, a little bit of ice that melted by noon around the metro plex everything cancelled and backed up. Not because of a/c or de ice capabilities but because of employees inability to get to work/sick calls to avoid having to try to come in.
I understand that. I know that the major roads around here (suburban Philly) are bare and that the snow had pretty much stopped by 9 PM last night (when I last shoveled my driveway and sidewalk; as of this morning, there was no snow that had fallen or drifted onto the shoveled portion). The airport SEPTA line is open (although most of the rest of the public transit system is not operating or sharply limited today). It's a beautiful, sunny day with calm winds.

So I'm rather surprised that the airport is still apparently in such bad shape that they don't expect to have good capacity to land Alaska's flight by 5 PM. (As you say, it's not like AA and other east coast-based planes and crews; the plane just has to get out of Seattle this morning and land safely. I guess I don't know if AS has a crew ready to go here in PHL or other east coast cities to operate the return flights to the west coast.) Oh well. I certainly don't envy the city the responsibility of dealing with clearing all this snow; I'm just skiing here (and wishing they weren't so efficient about clearing the roads -- I can't ski along them!).
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:09 pm

AS 32 SEA-PHL and AS 4 SEA-DCA tomorrow (1/25) both have scheduled stops in STL. Anyone know what that's for? Is it refueling to be prepared to circle over the destination for a long time? It's particularly odd to have a scheduled stop eastbound.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
AS 32 SEA-PHL and AS 4 SEA-DCA tomorrow (1/25) both have scheduled stops in STL. Anyone know what that's for? Is it refueling to be prepared to circle over the destination for a long time? It's particularly odd to have a scheduled stop eastbound.
possibly they are positioning crews to STL today in order to operate these flights tomorrow. The crew will likely fly STL-DCA-SEA or STL-PHL-SEA. They don't have crews positioned in those cities as they got them out in advance of the storm.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
possibly they are positioning crews to STL today in order to operate these flights tomorrow. The crew will likely fly STL-DCA-SEA or STL-PHL-SEA. They don't have crews positioned in those cities as they got them out in advance of the storm.
That makes sense. AS Twitter agent says they're fuel stops, though. Makes less sense to me than your guess.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
That makes sense. AS Twitter agent says they're fuel stops, though. Makes less sense to me than your guess.
Could be both. The crew timing issue makes sense, otherwise they would need to fly crews out on other carriers to be able work the return flights. (Or they would have to ferry empty planes back.)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by lg20
Could be both. The crew timing issue makes sense, otherwise they would need to fly crews out on other carriers to be able work the return flights. (Or they would have to ferry empty planes back.)
I don't think the fuel stop is an issue - otherwise they'd be doing fuel stops for SEA-EWR today, which they didn't, or the afternoon DCA. It's a crewing issue I'm fairly certain. Putting crew on another airline probably isn't an option right now since they are probably overbooked for the next week just trying to clear up the 100's of thousands of passengers that have had their flights cancelled.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by lg20
Well, I guess once they land in STL, they probably have to fuel up, so I guess that's a plausible hypothesis even if the stop really is due to crewing. Anyway, for my purposes (should I believe that the return PHL-SEA flight will really operate), it's good to have a plausible idea that doesn't mean they don't think they'll be able to land in PHL.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:32 pm

Well, I guess once they land in STL, they probably have to fuel up, so I guess that's a plausible hypothesis even if the stop really is due to crewing. Anyway, for my purposes (should I believe that the return PHL-SEA flight will really operate), it's good to have a plausible idea that doesn't mean they don't think they'll be able to land in PHL.
I assure you that it's to pick up the crew that will work PHL-SEA. They may add fuel only because they would need to because of the stop but it has nothing to do with the weather in PHL. That's over. The airport should be operating normally tomorrow.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
I was on the AS 31 return out of PHL Friday. The outbound crew (AS 32) that day did not stay in PHL (duh), they dead-headed back to SEA on Friday evening . So they do need a fresh crew....
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:20 pm

I assure you that it's to pick up the crew that will work PHL-SEA. They may add fuel only because they would need to because of the stop but it has nothing to do with the weather in PHL. That's over. The airport should be operating normally tomorrow.
Good to know. I'm well aware that the bad weather here is over and has been for 24 hours. Do you know if today's flight was cancelled because they didn't have a crew to operate the westbound flight and couldn't get one in?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:09 pm

Good to know. I'm well aware that the bad weather here is over and has been for 24 hours. Do you know if today's flight was cancelled because they didn't have a crew to operate the westbound flight and couldn't get one in?
I honestly don't know why they didn't operate the flight. I don't think it was crew related because they would have gotten a crew in there earlier if they needed to. There were a lot of people who were watching the storms very carefully and ready to do whatever needed to be done. I'm curious also.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is quite interesting ^

Thanks for sharing.

Glad to see stuff come back online and imagine the next week will be a mess. Think some of my luck this weekend on upgrades came from those who didn't make the trek out East...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
As an MVPG you can call Customer Care and have a replacement guest upgrade cert deposited in your account.
Thanks for your advise! I contacted them and the immediately reinstated an upgrade for future use!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yvrluver
Thanks for your advise! I contacted them and the immediately reinstated an upgrade for future use!
Good to hear. Takes some of the sting out of losing the original upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.