Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Does the upgrade list have a mind of its own?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

I flew about 190k on AS metal this year. I noticed that even though there is U space open I rarely get F until 24hr before when waiting for UG to clear, even then a few times I have had to call and ask to be placed on the list. When I see the reservations it always says first class waitlisted, usually Y class.

My last flight SEA-ANC I was #8 in UG and as I was boarding a GA asked if I wanted F at the gate. I have had great luck when I call before flying and getting U but as much as I fly I shouldn't have to feel like I should babysit reservations and call every other day to ask for each of them. Sometimes I just pay F since the process feels so random at times and is close enough in price to Y anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:59 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
do you book through a TA?

You do now have to ask to be waitlisted. Been that way for a few years and are prompted as such when buying at alaskaair.com. You get 3 options, waitlist, dont waitlist, or use a GGU. Depending on if you use a TA or 3rd party booking site, this can be a real PITA
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP GLD
I thought the last time I called on this, I was told you have to be removed from the waitlist to get the U upgrade. I think you do have to babysit and be proactive.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVP GLD
I had a situation Nov 6th SEA-DEN 674. Spouse and I were 1 & 2 on the UG list. #5 on UG list disappeared off the list at about T-40 minutes. The one available FC seat went away. Would this have been a paid/miles UG? It seemed very odd.
As it happened, 2 FC passengers did not make the flight and the gate agent moved us up prior to takeoff.
I have started taking screen shots of the UG list to monitor.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by JimH64
I had a situation Nov 6th SEA-DEN 674. Spouse and I were 1 & 2 on the UG list. #5 on UG list disappeared off the list at about T-40 minutes. The one available FC seat went away. Would this have been a paid/miles UG? It seemed very odd.
As it happened, 2 FC passengers did not make the flight and the gate agent moved us up prior to takeoff.
I have started taking screen shots of the UG list to monitor.
It appears to me that #1 & #2 (you) and #3 & #4 were both companions traveling together on the same PNR. If only 1 seat opens up, pairs will be skipped and it goes to the next single flier. Happens to me and my wife all of the time.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:31 am

Does it seem weird that add a 75k we've been the ONLY ones on the upgrade list at the gate? Is it possible that everyone else was upgraded before us (traveling with a companion). This has occurred on three different flights over the past couple days?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by ffmiles99
Does it seem weird that add a 75k we've been the ONLY ones on the upgrade list at the gate? Is it possible that everyone else was upgraded before us (traveling with a companion). This has occurred on three different flights over the past couple days?
Makes me wonder if sometimes U space is dribbled out one seat at a time? In that case, since you were traveling with a companion, you'd get leapfrogged by all the single travelers.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
For this very reason...

Originally Posted by braffy
Makes me wonder if sometimes U space is dribbled out one seat at a time? In that case, since you were traveling with a companion, you'd get leapfrogged by all the single travelers.
...my wife and I (both MVP Gold 75K) book our flights on separate PNR's. That way, we don't get leapfrogged.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by braffy
Originally Posted by ffmiles99
It can happen.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

So how does the UG list work? I checked in dutifully at t-23hr, and was the first on the list, I checked this morning and now I am fourth. I am traveling on paid Y and am 75k, what higher tiers am I missing?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by alaskan9974
So how does the UG list work? I checked in dutifully at t-23hr, and was the first on the list, I checked this morning and now I am fourth. I am traveling on paid Y and am 75k, what higher tiers am I missing?
Other 75Ks that purchased their tickets before you did.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Other 75Ks who requested the upgrade before you.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Other 75Ks who requested the upgrade before you.
That's what I thought last week when this happened, but a G/A pulled me out of line during boarding and gave me a U seat since I was the only 75k flying, the ones that had skipped me last time I assumed were gold's.

Regardless of tier it bases it on ticket purchase date?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
That's what I thought last week when this happened, but a G/A pulled me out of line during boarding and gave me a U seat since I was the only 75k flying, the ones that had skipped me last time I assumed were gold's.

Regardless of tier it bases it on ticket purchase date?
Maybe it was a glitch? It's always by tier then time of upgrade request. A person could purchase a ticket earlier but it always doesn't mean they would be prioritized higher. Some people don't request the complimentary upgrade at the time of booking (after you select seats).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:57 pm

Hi -

I could easily be wrong, but I thought that 75Ks had their own upgrade pool by date of request. And MVP/MVPG were in their own combined upgrade pool, also by date of request.

That said, the reservation engine looks for U space between T-120 and T-72 (for 75Ks); between T-72 and T-48 (for 75Ks and Golds) and T-48 and T-24 (for all elite tiers).

The upgrade waitlist (to clear seats at the gate) gets populated by when you requested your upgrade, regardless of when you check in. Again, an exception being that 75Ks are at the top of the list and then listed by date of request.

I thought this explained why when someone goes in and updates their tier status, they go to the bottom of their respective list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.