Search

Redeeming AS miles for premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Redeeming AS miles for premium cabins

Hello,

Is it me, or are there few opportunities to redeem AS mile for premium cabins on international flights? All I seem to find are mixed cabins, with the longer of the two flights being in coach.

Does phoning in yield different results?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:06 am

It may help in some cases to search segment by segment, and then use the multi-segment itinerary to punch in the working segments (although it may not in some cases).

Keep in mind that premium cabin space on the "aspirational" flights (EK, CX, QF, etc) tends to get sold out far in advance. If you have the flexibility, space may open up on flights at the last minute, so one strategy is to book in Y or Y+ and then start calling in a few weeks before the flight to see if space has opened up.

Keep in mind that space may not open up, especially on a popular route during the high season for that route.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you need Cathay or LAN phoning will find different results since those carriers are not available for online booking. Those working the phones use the same exact tool for booking the other carriers as we do. I don't believe they have access to anything different except if you can get the rare rep who will manual sell Emirates which uses the similar system as the CX and LA awards
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ArrVea
Hello,

Is it me, or are there few opportunities to redeem AS mile for premium cabins on international flights? All I seem to find are mixed cabins, with the longer of the two flights being in coach.

As mentioned, you need to be looking in advance or very close in. I was able to redeem SIN-DXB-JFK on the A380 for two pax this summer at 100k AS each.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Hello,

Without knowing what you're searching for, which regions, which dates, this is kind of like trying to answer "how high is up?"

I've used AS miles to book a number of international premium cabins. So I can vouch that it's not impossible.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
It's more of a general question. Last year I tried to look for a trip to Europe on AS miles, and saw only mixed cabin results. This year I tried for both European and Asian destinations all about 3-4 months out.

Was just wondering if this was the norm when using AS miles, or if there were any tips.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
It's more of a general question. Last year I tried to look for a trip to Europe on AS miles, and saw only mixed cabin results. This year I tried for both European and Asian destinations all about 3-4 months out.

Was just wondering if this was the norm when using AS miles, or if there were any tips.
In this case your "general question" really doesn't have a general answer. Depending on what you're looking for and when, expectations should be different. Can you provide *any* more details?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I do use my miles to fly BA even with the ridiculous taxes. Why? Convenience (one less day of work to miss) and a pretty damn good service for 70K in miles.

You can find a lot of BA avail. even pretty far out and it certainly gets better closer to your departure date.

In other cases, I just look for the least painful connect to get where i need to go if I'm using AS miles (AA mostly with some AF).
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I do use my miles to fly BA even with the ridiculous taxes. Why? Convenience (one less day of work to miss) and a pretty damn good service for 70K in miles.

You can find a lot of BA avail. even pretty far out and it certainly gets better closer to your departure date.
Ditto here. My dream wish is that there could some partner points+miles option where you could spend cash and use points and still earn some miles overseas. Maybe if AS decided to expand their operations overseas? Dreaming.

AS seats may not be the most comfortable up front but their north of expected attitude is worth it to me.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Where are you originating? What were your dates? So you're now looking for Europe and Asia in, um, February-March 2016 with a search?

CX is not available online. That's a major source of Asia inventory.

Also... you might have just missed this:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-class-awards/

That being said, SEA-JFK-LHR on American, 3/15 outbound, and ZRH-JFK-LAX/ORD/SFO-SEA inbound 3/22. 100k miles, not mixed cabin, total cash cost around $100, you can get the three-cabin American Flagship Service on the way back. So these redemptions are out there... it helps when it comes to Europe if you're willing to open-jaw your trip.

Originally Posted by Calculon
In this case your "general question" really doesn't have a general answer. Depending on what you're looking for and when, expectations should be different. Can you provide *any* more details?
Absolutely. This board's ability to provide tips increases dramatically when specifics are provided...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo88
As mentioned, you need to be looking in advance or very close in. I was able to redeem SIN-DXB-JFK on the A380 for two pax this summer at 100k AS each.
Likewise, earlier this summer I used 200k AS miles to book JFK-DXB (2 day stopover!)-SIN on A380 F class for two pax as well. Flying in Feb 2016, so I did have to book in advance pretty far, am looking forward to it immensely. Best redemption I've made thus far... ^

Good luck.

-AD
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Prepping for West Coast -> DXB -> BKK for thanksgiving or Christmas 2016. Not in the window yet but today I found 2x F A380 all the way SFO -> DXB -> BKK in October. I'll take that as a good sign.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:57 am
Suspended

I haven't seen AF or KL lately. Do they still make awards available to AS? Or is that partnership dying just like DL?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I haven't seen AF or KL lately. Do they still make awards available to AS? Or is that partnership dying just like DL?
Yes, booked them both this week.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:12 am

Business class upgrade on cathay

Hi there....

I did some research on this as I really wanted to book 5 business-class seats to Asia in March 2016 on Cathay. What I found out is that Cathay releases their seats (ecnomy/premium econ/business class) around the 360 day mark before the flight. I uses the British Airways website to KEEP CHECKING each day if flights were available. I live in Canada and most of the flights originated either in LAX or SFO. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that AS includes the award flight to the gateway city in the same CLASS.

Have fun hunting....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.