Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

HA A330 getting Lie-flat seats - will AS upgrade ETOPS first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA A330 getting Lie-flat seats - will AS upgrade ETOPS first class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Madone59
AS is never getting lie-flats. Ever.
Under the current fleet and mission of AS, I agree, but when AS change its mission to include long distance international flight, I think I would see AS to include them and (adds AS flair). I believe AS will eventually evolve and someday include international flights.... That day is not today.

Jiburi
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:11 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
that reminds me, I have a picture of a 787 hooked up to an AS PCA unit I should find that and post it

at the museum of flight
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jiburi
when AS change its mission to include long distance international flight
The use of "when" is wishful, at best.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:05 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by dayone
The use of "when" is wishful, at best.
if they plan on being around another 50 years at some point they will. Might be 15 or 20 years but at some point there would have to be a when. Just flying around North America from mainly the west coast there are only so many growth opportunities. I think when the MAX starts arriving you may see more central america stuff or even something like NAS or SJU

Last edited by ANC; Oct 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:00 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ANC
if they plan on being around another 50 years at some point they will. Might be 15 or 20 years but at some point there would have to be a when. Just flying around North America from mainly the west coast there are only so many growth opportunities. I think when the MAX starts arriving you may see more central america stuff or even something like NAS or SJU
You're right. AS' only hope is high-cost, low-yield flights to distant leisure destinations. No need to follow through with its plans to develop new focus cities or increase partner connectivity, especially with AA.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:47 am
ANC

Did I miss something? There is development of some new focus cities?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ANC
Did I miss something? There is development of some new focus cities?
One or two.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by diver858
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...lines/74256568

The relatively cramped first class seat pitch on AS is adequate for shorter flights, but for tall people like myself (6'2"), it can get uncomfortable on longer flights. With HA stepping up their game, perhaps AS can do SOMETHING on ETOPS equipment.

Sure - there is a big difference between wide and narrow body aircraft, I expect AS will stick with 737s, but the current hard and soft product could use some improvement to attempt to remain competitive.

If one reads just the headline of a news article, then it's often possible to miss important information -- in this case, the proposed routes.

From Australian Business Traveller (a good information source, even for those of us in the US) comes this detail about Hawaiian Air adding lie-flat seats on A330s:
"Hawaiian's move will not only boost the premium experience on Sydney-Honolulu and Brisbane-Honolulu flights but also close the gap against Qantas, which will offer its new A330 Business Suites on Sydney-Honolulu flights before the end of next year."

Last edited by AKCuisine; Oct 24, 2015 at 10:49 am Reason: Add quotation marks
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS sees F as upgrade class. They made their seats worse, what makes you think AS would reconfigure them to make them better after that. HA is doing this to compete with the big long haul international carriers so i don't think AS would be much interested in what HA is doing for that market segment.
This. Which is why the F seat on the -400 is better than the 800/900. Yes you get power on the newer planes, but it is cramped.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
"Hawaiian's move will not only boost the premium experience on Sydney-Honolulu and Brisbane-Honolulu flights but also close the gap against Qantas, ...
And this is it right here. For HA the A330 is a longhaul plane primarily to compete West from Hawaii and a few long (JFK) routes. Someone reported up thread that the A330 does show up in SAN, but that's not surprising, they're always going to have some schedules where they need to squeeze in a shorter route to get full plane utilization.

But overall, this will allow them to compete with QF/AA/DL for far Asian destinations. It's not about the Mainland <=> Hawaii leisure market.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:28 am
azj

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
And this is it right here. For HA the A330 is a longhaul plane primarily to compete West from Hawaii and a few long (JFK) routes. Someone reported up thread that the A330 does show up in SAN, but that's not surprising, they're always going to have some schedules where they need to squeeze in a shorter route to get full plane utilization.

But overall, this will allow them to compete with QF/AA/DL for far Asian destinations. It's not about the Mainland <=> Hawaii leisure market.
The 330 will very much be apart of the west coast-Hawaii network. These lie flats will allow HAL to better compete on the international stage and up the ante in the west coast market.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:31 am
azj

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
If one reads just the headline of a news article, then it's often possible to miss important information -- in this case, the proposed routes.
These lie flat seats will be on ALL 330s. That means they'll be flown on far more than just the SYD and BNE flying and will include all 330 destinations, which is at this point, nearly the entire international network and most of the domestic.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by azj
The 330 will very much be apart of the west coast-Hawaii network. These lie flats will allow HAL to better compete on the international stage and up the ante in the west coast market.
I doubt it, they are getting A321s for the west coast flights. Might see them on a few flights but anything within range of an A321NEO will probably be done by an A321NEO.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Even if they are used on Domestic, its not the NA-Hawaii flyer they are trying to grab. Its the Connecting international traffic. Which AS doesn't care about since they don't fly true international (Outside North/Central America)
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:12 pm
azj

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I doubt it, they are getting A321s for the west coast flights. Might see them on a few flights but anything within range of an A321NEO will probably be done by an A321NEO.
Sort of. You're right... they're getting them for west coast flights. They'll be used for expansion, and increasing frequencies in current markets. They'll likely replace the last 767s and be used to split cities up that currently see 1 330/day, for example HNL-PDX/OGG-PDX could be done on 2 321neo's. However... the 330 will still very much be apart of the west coast network. The 321neo WILL NOT replace all or even the majority of the widebody flying to the west coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.