Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA OAK Service Degradation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:50 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Back when this was first loaded into the schedule (OAK Service Cutback?) another plausible explanation that was brought up is aircraft availability:

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I think its probably a short-term thing pending new aircraft deliveries. AS has done this in the past on other routes like SJC-PDX. The evening OAK-SEA has been full whenever I fly and the fares aren't much different than out of SFO (if anything, SFO is often cheaper). OAK-SEA used to have more flights a few years ago, its a shame so many have shifted to the more congested SFO.
As for me, I used to take the 4pm SEA-OAK fairly often, but now the fares are usually ~$50 higher than the other nonstops. Since the 10pm flight gets in too late to reliably catch the last BART train, I have booked SEA-PDX-OAK at 3pm for my next trip. It takes a little longer, but it saves $30, gets a few more miles, and also priority security in SEA.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:13 pm

Quite a few responses are along the lines of: "must be a good business decision or they wouldn't do it". Huh? The corporate landscape is littered with companies that made bad business decisions. AS is in the process of making a strategy change with unknown results - dropping core west coast service in favor of new extremely limited scheduled service to eastern destinations. Does that mean it's automatically a good idea because that's their business decision? We'll see. My bet is that AS thinks they will convert their OAK passengers to SFO. But that may not work - and you don't need to manage an airline to have an informed opinion. Maybe you just need to be one of the impacted passengers. Bad idea Alaska.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by bofc
that may not work - and you don't need to manage an airline to have an informed opinion. Maybe you just need to be one of the impacted passengers. Bad idea Alaska.
Its own network and route planners or comments on FT...I wonder which AS should value more?
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Quite a few responses are along the lines of: "must be a good business decision or they wouldn't do it".
More like "Random people on an internet message board probably don't have access to things like projections from revenue management on routes and revenue, and people who fly out of (insert name of city here) are going to default to hating any decision that doesn't make their city the special-est snowflake of unique awesomeness and wonder they think it should be".

Could it be wrong? Sure. But AS has run a pretty good airline for a few decades now.

But cheer up, maybe they can restore SEA-OAK service with Q400s and you can have TWO things to complain about.*

*but I think at some point they'll put OO E75s on their West Coast routes once they get some critical mass in numbers, it might be a good way to add frequencies if they are short some planes. But I could be wrong too.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 16, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:37 pm

"As has run a pretty good airline for a few decades now".....allow me to finish the thought....by not expanding with low frequency service to distance locations from hubs at the expense of a strong regional base. But whatever they do MUST be correct right?

And if their route planners are so smart why did they fly out of Oakland (or any location they are driving passengers to WN) in the first place? The point is they are making a guess here. And IMO they are guessing wrong. Time wil tell.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"As has run a pretty good airline for a few decades now".....allow me to finish the thought....by not expanding with low frequency service to distance locations from hubs at the expense of a strong regional base.
AS started expanding to the East Coast in what, the 1990's?

I suppose you think that was a mistake when they could be flying 12x SEA-OAK and 8x PDX-OAK with 738s and 739s?

Let's face it, if they wanted to be WN in the AK/WA/OR/CA/MX area they could do it, but to run WN-style frequencies Hawaii's right out. So are transcons. Their fleet's maybe 20% of the size of WN's? Perhaps AS should try OAK-SNA and SFO-LAX? Maybe some SJC-LAX action? Those are bound to be great successes for an airline for a strong regional base.

And if their route planners are so smart why did they fly out of Oakland (or any location they are driving passengers to WN) in the first place? The point is they are making a guess here. And IMO they are guessing wrong. Time wil tell.
You mean like how using Q400s you hate over the last decade or so on PDX-Bay Area has ruined their business to the point of bankruptcy?

But anyways, I'm sure that if WN was to start targeting QX's BOI and GEG Pacific Northwest routes with their planes, they'd obviously walk all over AS with their lousy Q400s, because people love jets and hate propellers like you do. It's a good thing WN has never tried flying GEG-SEA with jets!

Anyways, I imagine if losing SEA-OAK frequency turns into a fiasco, it will get fixed. Keep those cards and letters coming in!

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"IMO they are guessing wrong. Time wil tell.
IMHO, time has told. You are wrong.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:32 am

Based on the expanded schedule and full flights where WN uses 737s vs AS Q400s (after AS dropped 737 service) Southwest clearly HAS won (OAK to PDX, SMF to PDX). SNA - OAK on WN is packed (another route the "can do no wrong" AS schedulers dropped). And the next WN win will be SEA - OAK if AS continues on this path. Time will tell.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Southwest manages to do ok, flying 7x 737s to SEA and 6 to PDX. Perhaps at some point Alaska will overextend with the national expansion and reallocate planes to improve service and be more competitive in what should be home territory on the west coast.

SFO in recent history had the BART advantage over OAK but now that's not an issue now with the BART connector. Hopefully the slide in service won't continue.
WN also uses OAK, along with SJC and SMF, as a connecting point to Southern California, which requires more seats. It's similar to asking why AS doesn't offer lots of flights to DFW or ATL; not as many AS passengers are connecting in those cities.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I fly over 75k a year (but not more than 110k) and the route I fly most often is SEA OAK SEA due to projects up in Richmond. I miss the 737s, and now take the Sky West flights. I am not sure that I can make a SFO to Richmond CA and back work even though I would prefer SFO as an airport (other than the weather delays) over OAK. I am thinking that going north would not work out well for me either, and I don't think DL has better options. It has been years since I flew on WN, not sure I want to get into that game!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:45 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Based on the expanded schedule and full flights where WN uses 737s vs AS Q400s (after AS dropped 737 service) Southwest clearly HAS won (OAK to PDX, SMF to PDX). SNA - OAK on WN is packed (another route the "can do no wrong" AS schedulers dropped). And the next WN win will be SEA - OAK if AS continues on this path. Time will tell.
OAK-SEA is 5-7x daily on WN and has been for a while, so AS never was trying to 'win' over WN in terms of number of flights or seats.

WN and AS have different strategies and needs for OAK (or any other airport) in terms of connections, fares, different markets, alternate airports, etc... so I wouldn't even try to say either is 'winning' as both airlines probably fulfill their own needs quite well here.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:54 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
they are pulling the 739 from that route to reallocate it to MDT

could be the largest plane to have service there since NW flew DC 10s out of there to DTW Ahh were those the days, short hops on massive jets

Last edited by ANC; Oct 17, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SNA - OAK on WN is packed (another route the "can do no wrong" AS schedulers dropped).
Did they drop that around when AS dropped SEA-GEG after WN entered that market and AS clearly couldn't handle that competition against WN either? I can't recall.

I mean, it's obvious that AS will always choose the wrong thing, whether it's flying Q400s or not doing 15x daily SEA-OAK. It's a miracle they're not in Chapter 11 again.

Originally Posted by bpe
WN and AS have different strategies and needs for OAK (or any other airport) in terms of connections, fares, different markets, alternate airports, etc... so I wouldn't even try to say either is 'winning' as both airlines probably fulfill their own needs quite well here.
Perish the thought...
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Or, on the other side, that they're allocating assets where they'll generate higher yields. There are 19 new B737-900ERs being delivered in 2016 alone, so this probably isn't a matter of being overextended but being selective on where your capacity goes.
Yields aren't and shouldn't always be the only consideration in asset allocation. Market share and preserving customer loyalty, especially in a core market like AS's west coast operations, is also an important consideration.

I commute on this route on a weekly basis and spend ~$12K/year. I see at least a half dozen other regular commuters on this route who happen to share my M-W schedule, not to mention those who fly this route routinely on other days. If that revenue goes away, so does our status on AS. Once that's gone, there's no more incentive to fly on AS's partners on international routes, which leads to more lost revenue. Once I commit to Southwest, I'm much less likely to come back to AS even if they undo all these changes.

This is a sticky change that AS is making, I just hope they realize it.

Last edited by IStream; Oct 18, 2015 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.