Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska to Take First 737 MAX Delivery - First Flights in March 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
N215AK, the last 737-900ER AS has on order, rolled off the ramp at KRNT yesterday up to KPAE. I believe all future 737 deliveries will be MAX 9.

Carfield, Daze, CREN and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I just booked a pretty far out in August LAX-SEA return leg from an international trip and it looks like it is on a 737-900 MAX.

It's AS 465, noon flight out of LAX. It looks like the earliest I see it making the switch from 737-900 to 737-900 MAX is on Tuesday July 16th. The flight isn't showing up on Monday the 15th and on the previous Sunday it's still a standard 737-900. Looks like they're taking "mid July" seriously, at least for planning purpose

The seating charts are kinda messed up right now. On my flight in August rows 6-9 are showing as Main instead of Premium, but row 10 and onward still show "elite & refundable".

The flight on July 16th appears to show row 6 as Main and rows 7-9 as Saver seats - and people seem to be taking advantage of it
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Pretty disturbing report in the WSJ today—the initial accident investigation suggests ET pilots correctly followed Boeing’s emergency procedures for MCAS malfunction and still lost the aircraft anyway due to manual trim being virtually impossible at higher air speeds.

Originally Posted by nearlysober
The seating charts are kinda messed up right now. On my flight in August rows 6-9 are showing as Main instead of Premium, but row 10 and onward still show "elite & refundable".
One would hope that all tickets on a MAX will be “refundable” for the foreseeable future.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by milypan
One would hope that all tickets on a MAX will be “refundable” for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, saw that article - that is not good news. I'm a Boeing fan but man they really messed up on this one.

Well, these flights are still quite a ways out. AS probably hasn't even taken delivery of the plane yet? Anyway, if there's any doubt I'm sure AS will do an equipment swap as the date approaches, or if I'm uncomfortable with it I'll just swap to the next flight.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Yeah, saw that article - that is not good news. I'm a Boeing fan but man they really messed up on this one.

Well, these flights are still quite a ways out. AS probably hasn't even taken delivery of the plane yet? Anyway, if there's any doubt I'm sure AS will do an equipment swap as the date approaches, or if I'm uncomfortable with it I'll just swap to the next flight.
AC is canceling use of MAX through June, FI still has 7M8 on the schedule four weeks out.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I'm a Boeing fan but man they really messed up on this one.
Every aircraft manufacturer has had its' problems, going back to the de Havilland DH 106 Comet and before that. I remember passing a large row of Airbus A380's parked at LAX for several months after the QF incident, with the entire fleet included. I am not apologizing for Boeing. It appears they took shortcuts not needed but they wanted to get a not ready aircraft in the air ASAP. Fixes are in the works. I just hope that proper oversight will be in place before these birds have living souls onboard again.

Last edited by BOB W; Apr 4, 2019 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I hope alaska sticks with proven type and orders more Airbus
Old May 17, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Looks like the new entry of service for the AS 7M9 is 8/27, flight 418 SEA-SAN departing at 7:50am. That's not from any official announcement, just me scouring the schedule after checking that it's gone from the 7/15 flights, so it's possible that it appears somewhere else earlier that I just couldn't find. Also totally possible that they'll move it again, either our or in, given that nobody really knows when MAXs will be back in the air, and when the deliveries will be back on schedule.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CalanMan
Looks like the new entry of service for the AS 7M9 is 8/27, flight 418 SEA-SAN departing at 7:50am.
I hope AS primarily operates the 7M9s out of SEA for the next couple years. It seems fair that BA employees should be the beta testers for the patched-up aircraft.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how many people will be willing to fly in this thing. At first I thought that the public wouldn't notice but there is sufficient media coverage about this that that might not be the case.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I wonder how many people will be willing to fly in this thing. At first I thought that the public wouldn't notice but there is sufficient media coverage about this that that might not be the case.
I certainly plan to book away for the time being when feasible, at least until it gets a couple million flights under its belt — let others be the guinea pigs, if they so choose. But given how thin the AS network is ex-SFO, I suspect I may be forced onto it at some point if I want to maintain and use my AS status.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
I certainly plan to book away for the time being when feasible, at least until it gets a couple million flights under its belt — let others be the guinea pigs, if they so choose. But given how thin the AS network is ex-SFO, I suspect I may be forced onto it at some point if I want to maintain and use my AS status.
If it comes to that I'll just move even more of my travel to UA. I love the AS FFP but I'm not risking my life to collect a few miles.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:25 pm

If it comes to that I'll just move even more of my travel to UA. I love the AS FFP but I'm not risking my life to collect a few miles.
You mean the UA that already has 14 7M9s, comprising over 2% of their mainline narrowbody fleet? Alaska won't reach that percentage until well into 2020, when UA will have even more of them.
jinglish and Flying for Fun like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalanMan
You mean the UA that already has 14 7M9s, comprising over 2% of their mainline narrowbody fleet? Alaska won't reach that percentage until well into 2020, when UA will have even more of them.
I'm pretty sure I can avoid that 2%. Their large number of flights makes that easy.

I only expect this to be a problem for a couple more years. By then I expect there to have been a few more incidents and this plane will be grounded for good.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:39 pm

I'm pretty sure I can avoid that 2%. Their large number of flights makes that easy.
Avoiding something with a greater-than-2% chance is harder than avoiding something with a less-than-1% chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.