Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Forcing MVP upgrade fare w/companion cert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forcing MVP upgrade fare w/companion cert

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I contacted our training department and clarified that it can be done, but it must be done over the phone.

And were kind enough to very quickly update the agent manual to clarify the process in which to process MVP + redemptive or GGU upgrades.

I expect that as with anything else, there will be a learning curve for those agents who have previously been taught to deny the request. Please just ask them to refer to their manual for direction.
Wow! Every once in a while, FT works miracles. ^ Thanks so much, missydarlin. Will call and ticket this in the next couple of days, and (hopefully) report back with my success.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Excellent news. Perhaps this information should be added to the companion pass and/or upgrades wiki's.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
And we all bow down once again to the awesomeness that is missydarlin! This sort of willingness to go the extra mile is a whole lot more valuable than another inch of legroom in first or whatever else we might occasionally gripe about. Yay missydarlin, yay AS.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Fail :(

ETA: Actually, success. See below.

Just spent the better part of my evening on the phone with AS. As always, very earnest, professional, and empathetic agents. ^ Unfortunately, after speaking with an agent, the rates desk, and a supervisor, I was unable to get this done. I actually hit two snags, one I overcame, the other I am still stuck with.

The first snag was getting the ticket upfared. Fortunately, after (finally) getting handed to a supervisor, that got taken care of. ^ I now have an MVP instant upgrade fare. All that remains is to get the upgrades.

Unfortunately, that same supervisor was unaware of anyway to do two different types of upgrades in the same record. I politely (well, as politely as possible for a customer to tell an agent with 20+ years experience, anyway) mentioned the update to the agent manual missydarlin mentioned, but she could find nothing of the sort

Update: Once again, I am floored by AS customer service. The supervisor I was speaking to actually called me back (which in and of itself was impressive, as she obviously used *69 or some such as my contact info was not in the record, and the number I called from isn't in my Alaska profile) saying that she was confused how I could be so certain, and went and checked the customer care manual where she did indeed find the text missydarlin referred to. While customer care was closed at that hour, she took my GGU info and promised to take care of it for me herself so I didn't have to spend more time on hold.

Soo..... I don't have a confirmed itinerary in my grubby little hands yet, but I grow even more impressed with AS customer service.

Last edited by Erasmus; Sep 7, 2015 at 12:01 am
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Thanks for the updates ^
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, B6, HA
OP, what ended up happening here?

I called yesterday about a similar situation (companion tickets booked in M class on a flight with U availability, one passenger is MVP and other isn't) and was told that it was impossible to upgrade without spending 30K miles or 2 GGUs.

(this was before I found this thread, so I didn't suggest that the agent might not be aware of any recent rule clarifications.)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Honestly, I'm not sure.

The flights were upgraded as I mentioned previously, but the ticket never reissued AFAICT (i.e., the fare/price info disappeared from the record on the website). The pax were able to check in and fly, however.

I spent a good hour (it was a slow day) with an extremely helpful ticket agent in SAN a few months ago trying to get a printout of the purported section of the customer service manual that missydarlin indicates was inserted (and the previous sup was apparently able to find), but was unsuccessful.

Would be interested if anyone is able to get any further clarity on this issue, as will likely need to do the same thing again with next year's companion certs...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If both passengers on a companion cert reservation on MVP, you should be able to purchase MVP upgrade fare and just call in to get upgraded, right?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If both passengers on a companion cert reservation on MVP, you should be able to purchase MVP upgrade fare and just call in to get upgraded, right?
The problem may be getting the website to display the MVP upgrade fare when your itinerary has 2 people. Have you got that part figured out?

Edited to add: See post #34. Maybe you have to book the wrong fare and then call in to get it changed. Also see post #18.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jan 27, 2016 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
MVP Upgrade and Campanion Fare

MVP is traveling with non-MVP. Agent says no way to get complimentary upgrade which is very frustrating. I understand that with this fare the two cannot be split into two itn but there are mileage upgrades and paid upgrades, where a combination could be used with the comp upgrade. Agent was implying it is not legal using comp upgrades, like this is a miles or dollars and miles ticket or something, which I fully understand no comp upgrade in those situations. Also, understand it's no problem for Gold MVP as long as there are two seats. I know I am asking to get flamed with no sympathy but can't help but feel frustrated.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by westcoastman
MVP is traveling with non-MVP. Agent says no way to get complimentary upgrade which is very frustrating. I understand that with this fare the two cannot be split into two itn but there are mileage upgrades and paid upgrades, where a combination could be used with the comp upgrade. Agent was implying it is not legal using comp upgrades, like this is a miles or dollars and miles ticket or something, which I fully understand no comp upgrade in those situations. Also, understand it's no problem for Gold MVP as long as there are two seats. I know I am asking to get flamed with no sympathy but can't help but feel frustrated.
There have been reports here (I'll see if I can find the posts) that an MVP on a qualifying (instant upgradable) fare and using a companion cert with a non-status companion can call in and upgrade both by using miles to upgrade the companion. But it requires purchasing a pretty high fare bucket (Y, S or B, I believe) as it has to be an instant upgrade for the MVP, miles for the companion and with U space x 2 available.

The key component is that both people have to be upgraded at the same time, regardless of the method used to upgrade as the PNR can't be split. It requires calling in and getting an agent who knows how to do this.

Edit: found the posts.
Read this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...nion-cert.html and in particular, this post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25378677-post30.html.

Maybe this thread should be merged with the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...nion-cert.html thread?

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 14, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
We were able to split a companion cert PNR last year (used GGU on one person, non-instant upgrade waitlist for the other). It took some time on the phone, but we got it done.

We're now trying to do the same thing for a new reservation and are being told the manual says it can't be split. Should there a difference between this situation (just put the MVP on regular waitlist) vs. the instant upgrade examples in this thread?

The flight is currently U1 and coincidentally we have only one GGU left!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Any recent experiences with splitting an itinerary so that at least one person can be made eligible for upgrade?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by EskimoGirl
Unfortunately the system is not designed to use two different upgrade types on the same flight on the same confirmation code ahead of time. The complimentary upgrade is processed as a request and we are unable to request it for only 1 person in the reservation thus the only way to use the comp upgrade and a GGU or paid upgrade on the same reservation is to have the ticket counter upgrade both passengers on the day of travel. Use of a GGU in that situation requires Customer Care to be open so they can be called for assistance in the use of the coupon.
This has been my experience as well. If you want to upgrade in advance of checkin you need to use GGU. MVP doesn't cut it. And as noted above both passengers must travel in same cabin so both must be processed at the same time. I have never been able to split the itinerary as soarttoday reported.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Consensus is that at check-in, the MVP can be split off and made eligible for a "day of" upgrade. Must you do this at the airport or can it be done over the phone? If requesting over the phone, should you check in first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.