Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS BR members expanded access to AA Admirals Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IceTrojan
"Board Room members with same day travel on a purchased or redeemed mileage ticket on Alaska Airlines or American Airlines have access to all Admirals Club locations listed below. Members also get complimentary access for their immediate family (spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21) or two guests. Board Room members and their guests do not have access to American Premium or Flagship Lounges."
Print Wikipost

AS BR members expanded access to AA Admirals Clubs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:51 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Are the AA staff still "declining" to provide (free) internet access to BR members? That was certainly the case last time I was through ORD a while ago.
how so? The ones Ive been in dont even have passwords
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by apodo77

Good news for Boardroom members. Wonder what the guest policy is?
Anyone have an answer to this yet?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by slopeboy40

Good news for Boardroom members. Wonder what the guest policy is?
Anyone have an answer to this yet?
Other AC's have been 2 guests, guessing they keep it.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BearX220
The AC agents at ORD have saved my bacon a couple of times during snow delays / cancels. Their superpowers alone make AC fees worthwhile. It's absurd that AS, a more service-minded airline in general, cannot do this in its own BRs.
It has to do with the personnel in the BRs - they are "management" jobs and per contract, cannot perform reservation/ticketing functions. As I recall, early on they couldn't even print a BP. Note that AS concierges perform various duties within the BR, while most other airlines have airline agents at the front, and contract out the F&B service to the lowest bidder. (This is not a commentary on good or bad, just on how it is.)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ANC
long been a peeve of mine. A lot of DL rooms are also staffed as such. What it comes down to is a case of union contracts run ammuck. The AS GA/CSA's at the airport basically throw a tantrum and say how dare those concergie's in the AS boardroom be allowed to do this, even though it would better the experience of our customers That statement might ruffle up some feathers but thats the quick answer as to why this doesnt happen in boardrooms. Been brought up at many a gold meetings when they were held and that was basically the response. We'd like to but we cant

Eh, work rules are negotiated. If this were a priority for AS, they would have figured it out.

Every other airline that has unionized gate/club staff and runs clubs has figured this out (UA, CO, AA, US). DL's gate and club staff are non-union, but they have work rules and MOA's, IIRC.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by channa
Eh, work rules are negotiated. If this were a priority for AS, they would have figured it out.

Every other airline that has unionized gate/club staff and runs clubs has figured this out (UA, CO, AA, US). DL's gate and club staff are non-union, but they have work rules and MOA's, IIRC.
DL SC agents have saved my rear in IRROPS several times and with same day changes. They are great in that regard.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Yes. Was announced in November 2014:

Admirals Club

Member Access to Select Alaska Airlines® Board Rooms
Your Admirals Club membership now extends your lounge access benefits beyond the network of 42 Admirals Club locations and 37 Qantas Club locations to include three more cities as part of a new arrangement with Alaska Airlines. You now have access to Alaska Airlines Board Room locations in Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; and Anchorage, AK when presenting a valid Admirals Club membership card along with a same day ticket/boarding pass on a flight operated and marketed by American Airlines. Additionally, two guests or immediate family members traveling with you are welcome at no additional charge.

Airport Location
Anchorage International Airport (ANC) Concourse C, near Gate C1
Portland International Airport (PDX) Concourse C, next to Gate C4
Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA) Just beyond the Central Security Checkpoint
T
hrough our new expanded lounge access program, Admirals Club members now enjoy the ability to visit Alaska Airlines Board Room locations when traveling through these three cities.
Alaska Airlines is a registered trademark of Alaska Air Group, Inc.

Anyway, this has now been changed for the better — Admirals Club members now receive Board Room access regardless of whether they’re flying Alaska, American, or US Airways.
This is not quite the same thing! Under the above policy, AC members don't get access when flying Alaska, rather ironic.
But under the new policy, is there actual "reciprocity"?? I don't see any wording anywhere saying AC members get full BR access.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL SC agents have saved my rear in IRROPS several times and with same day changes. They are great in that regard.
Exactly. It's standard to have lounge agents that are able to offer travel support and assistance.

AS lounge agents may be polite and friendly, but they're useless if you're in a bind. It's one of those AS quirks you just gotta accept if you're used to how big airlines work.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Exactly. It's standard to have lounge agents that are able to offer travel support and assistance.

AS lounge agents may be polite and friendly, but they're useless if you're in a bind. It's one of those AS quirks you just gotta accept if you're used to how big airlines work.
This disparity in service that (negatively) distinguishes AS from the rest should be a topic of conversation that FT'ers have with management at the periodic by-invite-only functions. If they don't hear about a problem or a beef, it's as if it doesn't exist.

As UAPremierexec and I did on a cruise ship function this past May, administering a beatdown on the matter of DL's nonstop 6 am service to SEA from JNU this winter, and does AS intend to match it. Whether anything comes of it remains to be seen, but at least AS brass heard about it loud and clear.

Just my two cents.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Are the AA staff still "declining" to provide (free) internet access to BR members? That was certainly the case last time I was through ORD a while ago.
Huh? In Phoenix, there are signs on the walls and tables with the Wifi information.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dave1013
This disparity in service that (negatively) distinguishes AS from the rest should be a topic of conversation that FT'ers have with management at the periodic by-invite-only functions. If they don't hear about a problem or a beef, it's as if it doesn't exist.

As UAPremierexec and I did on a cruise ship function this past May, administering a beatdown on the matter of DL's nonstop 6 am service to SEA from JNU this winter, and does AS intend to match it. Whether anything comes of it remains to be seen, but at least AS brass heard about it loud and clear.

Just my two cents.
Always good to voice things like this. If no one says anything they will never know.

Good job by y'all for at least stating your case.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I am EXP on AA and 75K on AS. When I can no longer use my DL SkyClub card to get into the BR, I will join the BR which is a whole lot cheaper than AC membership.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkkth
I am EXP on AA and 75K on AS. When I can no longer use my DL SkyClub card to get into the BR, I will join the BR which is a whole lot cheaper than AC membership.
With this change, I would anticipate a BR price increase shortly.

Another option to consider is the Citi Prestige card. It has AAdmirals Club access when flying AA, and Priority Pass access that covers the BR and others.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks - it has obviously been a lot longer than I thought!
Yes, it's been a while. . Funny thing is I still have a stack of the cards they used to give out for free wifi if you were a full member or an EXP on an INTL itinerary. Got a bunch when travelling as EXP on INTL flights and just figured I'd hold on to some for future use. Now I guess that have value as ice scrapers
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dave1013

Just my two cents.
For those who never get invited to these things - what about using the open comments section of AlaskaListens.com? I've received phone calls back from AS based on feedback I've made. They do ask questions regarding the BR's but I'm trying hard to recollect if they have an open comments section there.

Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.