Wiki Posts
Search

Fare classes in coach? Lame!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, Starwood
Fare classes in coach? Lame!

I'm a 75k and just booked a seat on the same flight with a co-worker. I called gold desk and they informed me that it would be an increase in fare to get him into the same row as my seat....? Have any of you ran into this yet?

Thanks,
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seekinghelp
I'm a 75k and just booked a seat on the same flight with a co-worker. I called gold desk and they informed me that it would be an increase in fare to get him into the same row as my seat....? Have any of you ran into this yet?

Thanks,
Doesn't it say on the color coded seat map key that some the seats are available for elites and those on higher coach fares only? That's pretty standard among US airlines...you're not gonna sit in the front of the coach section on the cheapest coach fare unless you have elite status. Passengers on the same PNR as an elite can sit in this section which is why I always make sue my kids are in the same reservation as my wife or I when they travel with us.

As a 75K, is this really the first time you've run into this?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by seekinghelp

Thanks,
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/dea...s-seating.aspx

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...w-blocked.html
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i think the OP is assuming that the charge would be waived due to his status. however it sounds like OP and OP co-worker are not on the same PNR. while another airline (UA) tends to waive E+ fees for elite companions who are not on the same PNR, apparently AS doesn't do this, and if that is their policy then so be it.

if OP and companion were on the same PNR, this would be a non-issue...but they aren't, so it is.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if OP and companion were on the same PNR, this would be a non-issue...but they aren't, so it is.
The problem I have is when I travel with my kids and some are flying on miles and some paid, then there is no way to put everyone on the same PNR. In the past I could just call in and have everyone moved together to row 6, now however, I am not sure if I can do that since I am the only elite in the group.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i think the OP is assuming that the charge would be waived due to his status. however it sounds like OP and OP co-worker are not on the same PNR. while another airline (UA) tends to waive E+ fees for elite companions who are not on the same PNR, apparently AS doesn't do this, and if that is their policy then so be it.

I've done this routinely when my family is on a different PNR without issue on AS by calling or Tweeting, most recently in January, accessing elite seats based on my AA status. (We've been on the same PNR for more recent flights.)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ashill
I've done this routinely when my family is on a different PNR without issue on AS by calling or Tweeting, most recently in January, accessing elite seats based on my AA status. (We've been on the same PNR for more recent flights.)
well, OP could certainly HUACA and see if a different agent would yield a different result...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Merge this with some thread where elites kvetch that all the "good" seats are gone. It's a scarce resource. If OP's coworker gets a freebie handout because of OP's status, then there's somebody else who doesn't get that seat.

Either OP's coworker pays for the "good" seat or I'm sure OP won't have any trouble trading his seat for something near the corworker.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Member

It really seems unlike Alaska to deny this accommodation simply because your companion is in a different PNR.

QL
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The problem I have is when I travel with my kids and some are flying on miles and some paid, then there is no way to put everyone on the same PNR. In the past I could just call in and have everyone moved together to row 6, now however, I am not sure if I can do that since I am the only elite in the group.
My general rule of thumb is to keep everything paid or everything on miles...otherwise you not only run into seating issues, but upgrade issues as well. If my wife and I are flying with the kids, we fly on paid tickets and if the kids are with us, we all fly on miles....keeps us on the same PNR and way simpler.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My general rule of thumb is to keep everything paid or everything on miles...otherwise you not only run into seating issues, but upgrade issues as well. If my wife and I are flying with the kids, we fly on paid tickets and if the kids are with us, we all fly on miles....keeps us on the same PNR and way simpler.
More simple, yes; always possible no. I have run into some weird miles issues. For example I am flying YKM-TPA with two kids on miles. When I looked for mileage tickets for two it showed up at 40,000 each. When I searched with a single person it was 25,000. Now I figured I would grab one 25,000 and the next one would be 40,000...but after booking the first one at 25,000 I went to book the second person and it showed up at 25,000. Net result 3 PNR's for one trip, but 30,000 miles saved.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by Often1
Merge this with some thread where elites kvetch that all the "good" seats are gone. It's a scarce resource. If OP's coworker gets a freebie handout because of OP's status, then there's somebody else who doesn't get that seat.

Either OP's coworker pays for the "good" seat or I'm sure OP won't have any trouble trading his seat for something near the corworker.
+1

Originally Posted by QuietLion
It really seems unlike Alaska to deny this accommodation simply because your companion is in a different PNR.

QL
Alaska SHOULD deny this accommodation. They are not "companions", they are not on the same PNR and I doubt that they've even linked their reservations. Not only would it reduce the number of premium seats for elites, but they are now monetized seats that come with additional benefits that shouldn't be given away just because your buddy is sitting over there. Should they upgrade the buddy to F as well if the OP gets upgraded?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
+1

Alaska SHOULD deny this accommodation. They are not "companions", they are not on the same PNR and I doubt that they've even linked their reservations. Not only would it reduce the number of premium seats for elites, but they are now monetized seats that come with additional benefits that shouldn't be given away just because your buddy is sitting over there. Should they upgrade the buddy to F as well if the OP gets upgraded?

+1 ^ ^ ^ Well said.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Called back this morning and they did it without even questioning. I forgot that when you call AS after 10pm, your luck changes.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
+1 ^ ^ ^ Well said.
I've had travel companions upgraded a lot to FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.