Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Row 4 Question, experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

aloha
I've never picked row 4 in First Class before

One of my pet peeves is people who use the back of my seat to leverage themselves up or down to/from from their own seat, more often than not waking me up.

does this happen less often in row 4, since there is a divider ( usually curtain ) between row 6 and row 4 in AS flights?

Or does it happen more often?

whats your experience there??

Mahalo
Tony10s
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its always a possibility but then again you run into that problem in every other row since the pitch is so tight. In row 4 you can fully recline and not be in anyone's way. Since row 6 is so far away I think it would be less likely for someone to use it as leverage. Also the part that hold up the curtain can also be used for assistance getting out of the seat
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I never pick row 4 for two reasons:

1) If there is an aircraft downgrade to a 737 without a 4th row of first class, guess who is going to be the easiest to bump to Y??

2) On Hawaii and trans con flights, you'll usually be stuck with one meal choice since they start from front to back.

Even though I prefer the extra legroom in row 4, for the two reasons above, I'd even take bulkhead over row 4.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its always a possibility but then again you run into that problem in every other row since the pitch is so tight. In row 4 you can fully recline and not be in anyone's way. Since row 6 is so far away I think it would be less likely for someone to use it as leverage. Also the part that hold up the curtain can also be used for assistance getting out of the seat
Row 6 is not far away, so you reclining does affect the poor souls in coach.

I would also say that row four is likely to disappear for equipment swaps, so pick three or two, but not the bulkhead, I like that seat.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

If you are on a transcon or Hawaii flight there is basically no chance of equipment swap to non-800/900 equipment, so I wouldn't worry about picking a seat in row 4. On a midcon or shorter flight, it couldn't definitely disappear and I would avoid row 4 in those cases.

There is a decent bit of space between row 4 and row 6, such that row 6 actually seems to have more legroom than rows 1-4.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tony10s
One of my pet peeves is people who use the back of my seat to leverage themselves up or down to/from from their own seat, more often than not waking me up.

does this happen less often in row 4, since there is a divider ( usually curtain ) between row 6 and row 4 in AS flights?
I'd say less often, because the curtain hangs down below the top of the seats in row 4, so they would have to push it aside and grab it. On the older birds with the hard bulkhead, you're completely safe.

However, there is a different annoyance at 4C/4D: people will often wait for the front lav in the aisle between those seats, especially on the flights where the FAs don't close the curtain (which seems to be the norm).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

Thanks for all the insight!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.