Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded while Crew in F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Downgraded while Crew in F

So I was supposed to be flying up on a later LAX->SEA flight today, but it was quite delayed, pushing my connection time in SEA into the 10 minute territory.

So I talked to an agent and switched to an earlier flight. I was told that no F seats were available, and in fact the only seat available at all was a non-reclining seat in row 16. Even though I had cleared an upgrade on the later dinner flight, I chose to "suck it up" and go on the earlier flight rather than end up with an impossible connection.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that there are at least 2 F seats taken by uniformed crew, who are (as near as I can tell) non-rev to SEA. In fact, one of them was originally seated in coach, then moved up to F after departure.

I totally get that sometimes, you have to take a downgrade to arrive on time, even through it's the airline's fault that things are running late. I'm fine with that. But I'm actually pretty annoyed right now that there were at least 2 F seats, which AFAIK should have been available for a 75k who had to make a change, which went to non-revs.

So, am I wrong to be annoyed? Or should I write to customer care?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
FAs during drink service didn't mention anything? I know the FAs usually talk about where each MVPG and 75K is sitting prior to the drink service. Maybe they thought it was odd that a 75K was sitting in Y while their colleagues were in F.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I'll ask them when they get back here.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
So I was supposed to be flying up on a later LAX->SEA flight today, but it was quite delayed, pushing my connection time in SEA into the 10 minute territory.

So I talked to an agent and switched to an earlier flight. I was told that no F seats were available, and in fact the only seat available at all was a non-reclining seat in row 16. Even though I had cleared an upgrade on the later dinner flight, I chose to "suck it up" and go on the earlier flight rather than end up with an impossible connection.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I discovered that there are at least 2 F seats taken by uniformed crew, who are (as near as I can tell) non-rev to SEA. In fact, one of them was originally seated in coach, then moved up to F after departure.

I totally get that sometimes, you have to take a downgrade to arrive on time, even through it's the airline's fault that things are running late. I'm fine with that. But I'm actually pretty annoyed right now that there were at least 2 F seats, which AFAIK should have been available for a 75k who had to make a change, which went to non-revs.

So, am I wrong to be annoyed? Or should I write to customer care?
Not knowing anything about the details of the specific flight, deadheading pilots have certain contractual seating guarantees, including/up to First Class when available, even if after they initially board.

Is there anybody on the AS app Standby List named "Dhd"?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Spoke to the FA who was super surprised I was a 75k. We definitely left with several seats empty and nonrev moved up.

While this isn't the sort of thing that I'll let ruin my day, I'm am going to write customer care about this. We closed early, so even I really don't know why the GA didn't upgrade me.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
I have found GA's at LAX to be the least helpful in the entire company when it comes to upgrades and changing flights. I have let Alaska know that before.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I had one where i SDC and had to re-add myself to the upgrade list but that was a year or 2 ago so not sure if its changed since then
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I had one where i SDC and had to re-add myself to the upgrade list but that was a year or 2 ago so not sure if its changed since then
The waitlist does not stick when SDC'ing.

One needs to proactively be added back (either online, by phone, or in person - in person can be the most difficult it seems)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The OP is free to do as s/he wishes. If it were me, I'd save my powder for something more substantively bothersome.

I adhere to the 48-hour rule. If I'm still annoyed two days later, then I think about submitting a comment.
nancypants, AS737 and Shadowfactor like this.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
The waitlist does not stick when SDC'ing.

One needs to proactively be added back (either online, by phone, or in person - in person can be the most difficult it seems)
Yup. I SDC all the time and fall off the list all the time.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Boarding JFK-LAX, first on wait-list, one open seat, and a pilot just cleared from the standby list directly to F and jumped me. Gate agent says it's 'operational rule' that he jumps the wait-list. This true?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by thegingninj
Boarding JFK-LAX, first on wait-list, one open seat, and a pilot just cleared from the standby list directly to F and jumped me. Gate agent says it's 'operational rule' that he jumps the wait-list. This true?
Deadheading pilot gets the seat per contract.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Deadheading pilot gets the seat per contract.
Yes, there were a few terms tossed around such as "non-rev" and "deadheading", the former is a bonus the latter work. I have sat in first with many pilots who are being re-positioned or heading somewhere for work, they have all the sparkling water they can drink. Luckily I have never been downgraded but for some reason, moved to another seat in first (and the person in my former seat was a uniformed AS pilot, not a FAM). It is a contractual issue but I believe (and I may be wrong) that it bumps upgrades but not full fare F. Some one can correct me if I am wrong.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Yes, there were a few terms tossed around such as "non-rev" and "deadheading", the former is a bonus the latter work. I have sat in first with many pilots who are being re-positioned or heading somewhere for work, they have all the sparkling water they can drink. Luckily I have never been downgraded but for some reason, moved to another seat in first (and the person in my former seat was a uniformed AS pilot, not a FAM). It is a contractual issue but I believe (and I may be wrong) that it bumps upgrades but not full fare F. Some one can correct me if I am wrong.
Its contractual, I've seen two in F on flights out of BWI back to SEA.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does losing an upgrade really count as a "downgrade"?

When I first read the thread title I thought that this was about people who paid for F and were bumped down to econ in favor of the crew.

(That doesn't happen, right? I understand that downgrades can happen because of broken seats or equipment swaps, but a paid F ticket has priority over crew, right?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.