Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

25,000 Bonus Mile Offer with BoA Checking Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Today I received a Bank of America checking account offer for 25,000 Alaska Airlines miles if I open a new Bank of America Interest Checking or Bank of America Core Checking account before July 31, 2015. The offer also mentions you must receive at least two direct deposits of $2,000 or more within 90 days of opening the account.

The offer seems to be targeted to Bank of America customers with an Alaska Airlines Visa card.

However, it seems that all you have to do is go to http://bankofamerica.com/alaskaoffer to sign up.

You may have to connect an Alaska Airlines Visa card to the account to verify that you are eligible.

I am debating the value of this Bank of America checking account offer. I currently use BECU which is a credit union. I have my mortgage through them and I respect what they stand for. BoA… not as much. I do already have a BoA Alaska Airlines Visa card because I love the sign up bonus and the yearly companion fare. This Bank of America checking account offer is the same as opening a new Alaska Airlines Visa card — 25,000 miles. Opening a Visa card is actually much easier (if you have the credit) and can be done multiple times. So I am not sure that it is worth setting up a new checking account and switching over my direct deposit from work.

Of note this offer is meant for people with a high income level. The requirement is to have two direct deposits of over $2,000. Most people I know get paid every two weeks, meaning you would have to have an income of $52,000 after taxes and any other deductions in order to qualify for this offer. Some people may get paid once a month and this would be much easier to meet if that is the case for you. The terms say that the direct deposit must come from an employer (or similar situation), so you couldn’t meet this qualification with a transfer from another bank account.

Photos of the flier I received are here: http://singleflyer.com/2015/05/27/ba...account-offer/

If this is the wrong location for this post, let me know. I didn't think it should go under Credit Card Programs since this is really about a bank.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
I currently have a BofA online checking account which doesn't have any requirement for no monthly fee. Rumor has you do anything stupid (like go to the branch counter) and this will becomes another type of checking account which you have to meet certain requirement for no monthly fee.

Not sure if opening this account will convert my existing account.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd be curious about this because I currently have a BoA Checking account, but I've had it since college and I'm pretty sure I'm not the primary signer on the account.

Since it's just a bank account and not a hard pull it's probably worth the time, IMO. Only wild card is the 1099... Has BoA done miles bonuses in the past for AS or another airline, and idea on how those are treated?
Old May 27, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Man, I just switched away from BofA after finally getting fed up with their crap. I'm highly tempted to switch back for a couple months now though.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sounder
Man, I just switched away from BofA after finally getting fed up with their crap. I'm highly tempted to switch back for a couple months now though.
Haha, I know, I'm trying to decide the same thing.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Other than the 2k$ DD required, it's very tempting. Anyone know if a push transfer from another bank like Cap360 will work?
Old May 28, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by hiima
Other than the 2k$ DD required, it's very tempting. Anyone know if a push transfer from another bank like Cap360 will work?
Another idea is Google Wallet or Venmo. Deposit a large amount in there, and withdraw to your new BofA account. Not sure if that would work, but if it does then I'd be sold on this. I don't particularly feel like waiting a month for 2 paychecks to direct deposit into an account I don't intend to use...
Old May 28, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I was ready to open a checking account until I read the fineprint under footnote 1.

Eligibility: Offer only available to customers who receive this offer via a direct communication from Bank of America®. New eligible personal checking account must be opened between May 24, 2015 and July 31, 2015. Bank of America may change or terminate this offer before this date without notice. To be eligible for this limited-time offer, you must not currently have a personal checking account with Bank of America. You are not eligible for this offer if you were a signer or owner of a Bank of America personal checking account within the last twelve (12) months.

Unfortuantely, I did receive this offer directly from BOA, and I already have an existing personal checking account. Has anyone had experience from similar previous promotions? I'd like to know whether BOA enforces these provisions.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiima
Doctor of Credit (link at the bottom of my post) said that transfers from other banks HAVE qualified as a direct deposit in the past if it goes through ACH (Automated Clearing House). I am by no means an expert, so check out his post

Originally Posted by Sounder
Another idea is Google Wallet or Venmo. Deposit a large amount in there, and withdraw to your new BofA account. Not sure if that would work, but if it does then I'd be sold on this. I don't particularly feel like waiting a month for 2 paychecks to direct deposit into an account I don't intend to use...
Problem with Venmo or Google Wallet is I believe you will be hit with a fee (3% maybe?). That could add up on $4,000. It also likely would not count as a Direct Deposit.

Originally Posted by Totoro
I was ready to open a checking account until I read the fineprint under footnote 1.

Eligibility: Offer only available to customers who receive this offer via a direct communication from Bank of America®. New eligible personal checking account must be opened between May 24, 2015 and July 31, 2015. Bank of America may change or terminate this offer before this date without notice. To be eligible for this limited-time offer, you must not currently have a personal checking account with Bank of America. You are not eligible for this offer if you were a signer or owner of a Bank of America personal checking account within the last twelve (12) months.

Unfortuantely, I did receive this offer directly from BOA, and I already have an existing personal checking account. Has anyone had experience from similar previous promotions? I'd like to know whether BOA enforces these provisions.
I have read reports of people being able to get the deal that did not directly receive it; however it looks like you do have to have an Alaska Air Visa. Do you have that?

However already having a Checking account looks like it MAY make you ineligible.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I have read reports of people being able to get the deal that did not directly receive it; however it looks like you do have to have an Alaska Air Visa. Do you have that?

However already having a Checking account looks like it MAY make you ineligible.
Unfortunately, I cancelled my AS BOA Visa in March after BOA declined to offer retention bonus for $10000+ spend in first 3 months. Additionally, I've had a BOA personal checking account for 10+ years. With two strikes, I think I will avoid bothering HR to re-direct my direct deposits unless I hear differently about others' experiences.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

This is a good offer but no visa. Was recently rejected for a card. Hmm, maybe I'll apply for a card again in early July and if approved, apply for the bank account. It's a good offer.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
There's no longer an AS earning debit card available from BoA to compliment this offer, is there? My SunTrust SkyMiles Debit Card is having its earning rate cut in half come July, so I'm looking for a better earning debit option and an AS Debit card would be perfect.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's worth taking a look. Sometimes big banks have better value and services than credit unions.

My employer has a relationship with a CU, and I was shocked when they came in, at how lousy their web interface was and the fees they charge for some things I've been getting from BofA for free for over a decade.

I know BofA gets a bad rap for being a "big bank," but they work well for a lot of people if one of their packages works for you. They also have a rewards program with several tiers which offers additional complimentary services if you carry the right balance in your accounts and/or use their Merrill brokerage.

There are holes in the BofA ATM network (e.g., AK, HI, a few mainland states), but overall it's pretty broad.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
There's no longer an AS earning debit card available from BoA to compliment this offer, is there?
Nope. IIRC, the BoA AS Debit Card died sometime in 2014.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by channa
It's worth taking a look. Sometimes big banks have better value and services than credit unions.

My employer has a relationship with a CU, and I was shocked when they came in, at how lousy their web interface was and the fees they charge for some things I've been getting from BofA for free for over a decade.

I know BofA gets a bad rap for being a "big bank," but they work well for a lot of people if one of their packages works for you. They also have a rewards program with several tiers which offers additional complimentary services if you carry the right balance in your accounts and/or use their Merrill brokerage.

There are holes in the BofA ATM network (e.g., AK, HI, a few mainland states), but overall it's pretty broad.
Its just ironic as these are two large AS markets...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.