Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Who are all these people in the back of the plane during Elite boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond

On my last few (when I've paid attention) AS flights, I note huge lines to board with "First Class and Top Tier Elites" and when I get on - generally I'm in the back of that line - the rows behind the exits are filled with people.

Doesn't AS practice public shaming of people who board out of sequence? Or are all of these people late booking elites who got stuck in the back by the lavs?

Also, why have they given up boarding F first and letting it clear a bit before leaving us unfortunates on the jetway?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:49 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
[QUOTE=BlueHenFlyer;24688126]

Doesn't AS practice public shaming of people who board out of sequence?
Nope never, they dont care

Or are all of these people late booking elites who got stuck in the back by the lavs?
with way less blocked elite seats it could be depending on the route
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Conceptually, it could be families with one elite and several non-elites who sit further back because there was more space or something.

In practice I don't know.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:15 pm

I've been booking/changing flights a lot recently less than 1 week out. It's not uncommon for the only aisle/window seats to be behind exit rows, or only middle seats left (I'm 75K).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AS gold
Alaska Airlines also tends to hire agents who have a lot more empathy than other air carriers, and I think they are quite liberal when boarding people before the elites. Although the announcement typically restricts early boarding to those needing extra assistance, in practice this can be very little assistance and they will board most people who ask to go on, without probing for their reason or disability.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Or are all of these people late booking elites who got stuck in the back by the lavs?
Sometimes that's me, yes.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
my boyfriend and I were flying on last minute tickets and were in like row 29 of the 737-900 (with open middle). The FA did a doubletake on the list when she asked "how on earth did you end up back here? most 75Ks never sit beyond the overwings"...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
When we're not upgraded, my wife and I (both MVPG) always sit in row 6....it seems like its almost always been available when booking our tickets....we do book in-advance enough to get the best fare available so I'm assuming that helps....I've never been able to stomach paying $$$ for last minute tickets with seats in the back of the plane so I just don't do it
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Conceptually, it could be families with one elite and several non-elites who sit further back because there was more space or something.
I've had to go back behind 17 to find an aisle. And my upgrade did not clear

Originally Posted by ANC

with way less blocked elite seats it could be depending on the route
This seems to be more and more of an issue. Wish AS wouldn't release soo many elite seats.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
On my last few (when I've paid attention) AS flights, I note huge lines to board with "First Class and Top Tier Elites" and when I get on - generally I'm in the back of that line - the rows behind the exits are filled with people.

Doesn't AS practice public shaming of people who board out of sequence? Or are all of these people late booking elites who got stuck in the back by the lavs?

Also, why have they given up boarding F first and letting it clear a bit before leaving us unfortunates on the jetway?
Flights are pretty full these days. You book late, you don't necessarily get a great seat. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have seen people turned away from elite boarding and in general people board where they should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.