Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades Still Broken

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you are "grabbing" upgrade space doesn't that mean you're either using miles, status upcharge or GGU's to pay for it (all forms of "payment")? I'm ok with that, it's having no tiered system (date of purchase within status rank) for the freebie upgrades that I have a problem with.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you are "grabbing" upgrade space doesn't that mean you're either using miles, status upcharge or GGU's to pay for it (all forms of "payment")? I'm ok with that, it's having no tiered system (date of purchase within status rank) for the freebie upgrades that I have a problem with.
"Grabbing" upgrade space means, say at T-72, an MVPG can call up and get U space that becomes available even though there is a waitlist that includes 75Kers that haven't been automatically upgraded yet due to the "bug" in the system.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think I would put this in the broken category...

Last month I purchased tus-sea-tus. I was able to use a gold guest upgrade to upgrade the return for the cheapest fare available at that time. The outbound was a G fare and I was "waitlisted" for an upgrade. The flight is on 3/17 and this morning I got an alert from Expertflyer that U1 was now available. Checking my reservation I found that I had not been upgraded.

I called this morning and was able to get the upgrade cleared manually. The agent I talked to said that when using a gold guest upgrade one needs to call in to be properly opted-out (her words) so that one is eligible for a complementary upgrade.

My trip was booked on alaskaair.com
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catmndu
I think I would put this in the broken category...

Last month I purchased tus-sea-tus. I was able to use a gold guest upgrade to upgrade the return for the cheapest fare available at that time. The outbound was a G fare and I was "waitlisted" for an upgrade. The flight is on 3/17 and this morning I got an alert from Expertflyer that U1 was now available. Checking my reservation I found that I had not been upgraded.

I called this morning and was able to get the upgrade cleared manually. The agent I talked to said that when using a gold guest upgrade one needs to call in to be properly opted-out (her words) so that one is eligible for a complementary upgrade.

My trip was booked on alaskaair.com
Being "opted-out" or being taken off the complimentary upgrade list is necessary to use the gold upgrade cert, but that explanation has nothing to do with why you were automatically upgrade when U = 1 inside your complimentary upgrade window....so yeah, it's still broken, but congrats to you on being the first to call....if an MVP or MVPG would have called before you did, you would have lost....lol.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:03 pm

Just going to mention that today my upgrade cleared just as normal and there was no sign of a "bug".

I even put a rule in expertflyer and a calendar alert so I could call in if indeed my upgrade wasn't processed correctly.

But it was.

So I think this bug is subtle and difficult to reproduce and it probably only happens "sometimes".

Probably won't be too easy to fix...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lastquestion
Just going to mention that today my upgrade cleared just as normal and there was no sign of a "bug".

I even put a rule in expertflyer and a calendar alert so I could call in if indeed my upgrade wasn't processed correctly.

But it was.

So I think this bug is subtle and difficult to reproduce and it probably only happens "sometimes".

Probably won't be too easy to fix...
Did your upgrade clear around your elite upgrade window or later? The bug only seems to be an issue when U space opens well after the upgrade window has past.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
SEA-IAD this past weekend. Upgrade list had a dozen people on it night before travel. Random no-status couple upgraded with cash morning of the flight (and then tried to convince me to swap my favorite aisle seat for a bulkhead window so they could sit together - no thank you!). 3 no-shows in F after boarding completed; GA upgraded top 3 on the waitlist just before door closed.

There is definitely a problem with U space released within 24 hours of the flight. It's the same problem that plagued AS years ago. Basically auto-upgrades are not processing within 24 hours, and any U space released becomes a free-for-all to whoever grabs it first: elites of any status for free without regard to waitlist order, or even non-elites who are willing to pay cash to upgrade.

Get it together AS, this is some JV behavior.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by baliktad
There is definitely a problem with U space released within 24 hours of the flight. It's the same problem that plagued AS years ago. Basically auto-upgrades are not processing within 24 hours, and any U space released becomes a free-for-all to whoever grabs it first: elites of any status for free without regard to waitlist order, or even non-elites who are willing to pay cash to upgrade.

Get it together AS, this is some JV behavior.
I understand this is a very high priority for AS to address (I noted on another thread that I've also been bit by this bug) and I've been in direct contact with Customer Care on it, giving them lots of details.

It, however, seems different than the old Sabre bug -- and a CSR to whom I spoke thought so as well.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
I've been hit by the bug, but I've managed to call in and have the upgrade manually processed.

It seems like the upgrades just aren't processing automatically after the waitlist window at T-120/72/48.

On my last trip yesterday SEA-LAX, I got a notification at T-29 that U space had opened up. I called the gold line at T-27 and they were able to process my upgrade (after putting me on hold to ask a question). She said that she reset my upgrade request and then it automatically processed.

I would venture to guess that had I never requested the upgrade in the first place, waited for U space to open inside my T-72 window (as a MVPG), and then clicked the "Request Complimentary Upgrade", I probably would have been instantly upgraded.

One thing that seems to be different about the bug this time is that I haven't seen the "Upgrade to First Class" option during OLCI as much, even after U space has opened. So there seems to be a smaller window where this is possible.

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I understand this is a very high priority for AS to address (I noted on another thread that I've also been bit by this bug) and I've been in direct contact with Customer Care on it, giving them lots of details.

It, however, seems different than the old Sabre bug -- and a CSR to whom I spoke thought so as well.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Did your upgrade clear around your elite upgrade window or later? The bug only seems to be an issue when U space opens well after the upgrade window has past.
They're not not exactly the same thing, but my upgrades on tickets purchased within the window have been acting normally, including purchases both before and after check-in started, as well as upgrades on immediately-qualifying fares before the window opened.

(Also including immediate time-of-booking upgrades or automatic waitlisting on tickets purchased through Concur, despite the earlier poster that would have you believe this never works....)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Kieron
They're not not exactly the same thing, but my upgrades on tickets purchased within the window have been acting normally, including purchases both before and after check-in started, as well as upgrades on immediately-qualifying fares before the window opened.

(Also including immediate time-of-booking upgrades or automatic waitlisting on tickets purchased through Concur, despite the earlier poster that would have you believe this never works....)
Could the reason it works consistently for purchases within the window have to do with the (higher) fare class you are forced into buying?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
any update on this? still an issue I'm assuming?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Well, I just experienced the bug in an almost-controlled setting, in that I think I manipulated the system, but it didn't ultimately affect anyone.

Flying SEA-SNA tomorrow, was on a flight that showed as F2 U0 and I was already #3 on the waitlist, so I SDCed to an earlier flight that showed F5 U0, figuring my chances would be better. I ended up being the only person on the list.

I decided to check EF again to see how other flights were doing, and I noticed that my flight was now showing F5 U5, while my original flight was F2 U2.

Wanting to secure my choice in remaining seats, I called in to have AS manually upgrade me. I suspect that if I had asked to move back to my original flight and ask for the upgrade, I would have jumped the others ahead of me.

I'm definitely going to set my EF alerts to look for U inventory from now on.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Well, I just experienced the bug in an almost-controlled setting, in that I think I manipulated the system, but it didn't ultimately affect anyone.

Flying SEA-SNA tomorrow, was on a flight that showed as F2 U0 and I was already #3 on the waitlist, so I SDCed to an earlier flight that showed F5 U0, figuring my chances would be better. I ended up being the only person on the list.

I decided to check EF again to see how other flights were doing, and I noticed that my flight was now showing F5 U5, while my original flight was F2 U2.

Wanting to secure my choice in remaining seats, I called in to have AS manually upgrade me. I suspect that if I had asked to move back to my original flight and ask for the upgrade, I would have jumped the others ahead of me.

I'm definitely going to set my EF alerts to look for U inventory from now on.
Yup, same thing happened to me (sort of) on AS 512 today SEA - SNA. EF notified me of U availability early in the morning on 3/25. Called in and there were 7 U seats available but no one getting auto upgraded. Agent took me off list and put me on and I got insta-upgraded.

I wish the system just worked as intended but I don't feel bad about monitoring U availability within the 72-hour window if AS can't get the system to work properly.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Still an issue for me. Tomorrow's flight did not auto-upgrade when U opened up inside the window. Called in and agent happily forced the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.