Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Row 6 on Alaska 737-800 Beyond?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

So I'm doing the SEA-PHL-SEA run tomorrow & seats in row 6 on the PHL-SEA just opened up. I switched from 24 something to 6E. My question, does the curtain bug people? And also, does this seat also have power outlets? I haven't been on any AS planes with the new Beyond service yet but from my understanding the AC/USB ports are in the seat back in front of you... Does row 6 get screwed out of that?

(Further, I know row 6/7 are for refundable full dare/elite, this late in the game if those seats open up when you check in via the app is there a chance I'll get bumped if an elite checks in and wasn't already assigned that seat? I don't mind sitting a couple rows back if it means I get window or something vs me just being bumped randomly to middle seat hell ;-) )
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:08 pm

In row 6, the outlets are in the back of the row 4 center console and there are only two per side in that row. They are very obvious to see.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If I had an aisle seat further back (even row 24), there is no way in the world I would move to a middle seat on a transcon (even bulkhead). With that said, my wife and I always book 6AC or 6DF with the hope that the middle will remain empty...the good news is that thus far, we haven't had to worry about it because we always get upgraded as MVPGs....so far. ^
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, my mistake. I'm 6F, no way would I move to a middle seat either, lol.

So the power ports are still easy to reach despite whatever divider between first & coach?
Still better to have 6F then move back to 7A?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
The curtain isn't bothersome at all. 6F all day, every day. You're one row closer to being first off the plane.

Neil
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
The curtain isn't bothersome at all. 6F all day, every day. You're one row closer to being first off the plane.

Neil
Yep!! I'm just concerned on the power situation. (For some reason I can picture how there is still the heavy curtain but it's still on the rear of the console between the last first class seat row... Surely you don't have to get out of your sit and bug the first people by plugging in or something & it couldn't go under the curtain, that seems messy...)

I'm not taking my notebook or iPad this time around. It'll be the first long haul since I got my iPhone 6 Plus and I'm going to see if the screen is large enough to keep me happy as my primary internet device (if GoGo plays nice) and media device. It'll be nice to leave the MacBook and iPad home from here on out if I'm perfectly happy burning away the hours on my iPhone. I'm very curious if GoGo will be decent enough to handle some poker online for fun... That'll pass the time fast :P

Anyway, all that is to say between killing the time in the airports, my day starting at 5am & ending at midnight, and the time on the jets, my iPhone is going to be sucking the battery down as much as it can...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
There is nothing to worry about. The power plugs are right there. It isn't a heavy curtain, and is in no way anywhere near the power plugs.

Neil
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by acarney
Yep!! I'm just concerned on the power situation. (For some reason I can picture how there is still the heavy curtain but it's still on the rear of the console between the last first class seat row... Surely you don't have to get out of your sit and bug the first people by plugging in or something & it couldn't go under the curtain, that seems messy...)
The curtains between rows 4 and 6 seats on the 800 are "shorty" curtains, with a lighter, longer gauze-like curtain in the aisle. You'll do fine.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
The curtains between rows 4 and 6 seats on the 800 are "shorty" curtains, with a lighter, longer gauze-like curtain in the aisle. You'll do fine.
Ya, happened to notice that as I was boarding the outbound flight... Now my issue is that it looks like row 6/7 finally filled up while rows further back (like 20+) still would leave an empty middle seat... Which I'm super happy I lucked out and got on this outbound... Not sure if I'll swap or not... Probably will though...

Quick edit: Also, only about 30 to 40 minutes in PHL before boarding again... Recommendations on good coffee again and something decent to munch on kinda near gate D6?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
If it's the curtains for the new Sky interior, I HATE them. They hang down right in the middle of your tray table. We had one FA who'd tuck them into the back of the F seat, and another that would look at us annoyingly and untuck them.

I much prefer 17 if available. But would likely take 6 over other random rows.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat
So I'm doing the SEA-PHL-SEA run tomorrow & seats in row 6 on the PHL-SEA just opened up. I switched from 24 something to 6E. ... (Further, I know row 6/7 are for refundable full dare/elite, this late in the game if those seats open up when you check in via the app is there a chance I'll get bumped if an elite checks in and wasn't already assigned that seat? I don't mind sitting a couple rows back if it means I get window or something vs me just being bumped randomly to middle seat hell ;-) )
Under the new "Economy+" process for bulkhead/exit rows announced by AS a few months ago, doesn't a non-elite pay an extra fee, then makes a confirmed seat selection into these rows without fear of being booted out ?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsmythe
Under the new "Economy+" process for bulkhead/exit rows announced by AS a few months ago, doesn't a non-elite pay an extra fee, then makes a confirmed seat selection into these rows without fear of being booted out ?
I have no idea, but I was keeping an eye on seat availability up till a few minutes before boarding. The app let me change into those open seats without any mention of a fee or anything during my outbound flight. Basically all of 6 and 7 were open, by the time I landed (~45 minutes before boarding) 6 and 7 were almost all full while rows towards the back of the plane were totally empty. I figured by that point the standby list for seats was probably as long as it was going to get and the people "in the know" had already made all their changes. About 5 minutes to boarding time I switched back to row 27 and seat A and had my whole side to myself all the way back while 6/7 was almost full (minus the one window seat I switched out of). It was more enjoyable having two empty seats next to me then having a few extra inches maybe... Also i had a couple hour layover so I wasn't in a huge rush to get off the plane.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM
I would not pick a middle seat on long flights like that, I rather sit far behind to get aisle seats. Are you 75k, FC upgrades are very likely if you are on this route

Last edited by WinSea; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:03 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WinSea
I would not pick a middle seat on long flights like that, I rather sit far behind to get an isle seat. Are you 75k, FC upgrades are very likely if you are on this route
Nope, I have no status and this was a MR, first step to getting some status :P

My goal is MVP but if they have any double EQM offers this year I might actually just be able to get MVPG a if I'm lucky. And ya, the middle seat originally was a typo. It would have been a window seat in row 6 but I moved back since I would have had someone sitting in the middle seat if I stayed in row 6 and further back there were empty rows...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Nope, I have no status and this was a MR, first step to getting some status :P

My goal is MVP but if they have any double EQM offers this year I might actually just be able to get MVPG a if I'm lucky. And ya, the middle seat originally was a typo. It would have been a window seat in row 6 but I moved back since I would have had someone sitting in the middle seat if I stayed in row 6 and further back there were empty rows...
Aisle seat is the way to go, windows seat means you will have to ask two person to get up for you, i tend to use the wash room more so I rather to get a isle seat, considering it is a long flight, esp your returning flight is at lest 1.5 hours longer than departure flight.

Last edited by WinSea; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.