Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

DL offering a targeted elite status challenge to WA/OR/AK residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I just received an email offer from Delta offering me Silver status after just 2 round-trips and Gold status after just 6 round-trips....I'm fairly certain it's a targeted offer that is clearly aimed at AS flyers since you have to be a resident of WA/OR/AK to be eligible....for awhile it looked as if they were focusing all their promotions like double EQM at WA residents, but it appears they are branching out to the entire Pacific Northwest including AK.

Don't worry AS, I'm already a happy camper and I'm sticking with AS Mileage Plan 100%. I don't have the extra $$ or desire to become an elite with two different airlines, especially Delta's lousy revenue-based program.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I got the same email. I agree with the OP, no thanks!!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I didn't see the six trips for gold part, but still, no thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I got the same email. I agree with the OP, no thanks!!
+1 here AS. I am curious though if anyone else also has their Amex card?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just received an email offer from Delta offering me Silver status after just 2 round-trips and Gold status after just 6 round-trips....I'm fairly certain it's a targeted offer that is clearly aimed at AS flyers since you have to be a resident of WA/OR/AK to be eligible....for awhile it looked as if they were focusing all their promotions like double EQM at WA residents, but it appears they are branching out to the entire Pacific Northwest including AK.

Don't worry AS, I'm already a happy camper and I'm sticking with AS Mileage Plan 100%. I don't have the extra $$ or desire to become an elite with two different airlines, especially Delta's lousy revenue-based program.
Originally Posted by JPat
+1 here AS. I am curious though if anyone else also has their Amex card?
It does seem to be targeted at AS flyers out of PNW and AK hubs, as the eligible airports in the terms & conditions are pretty specific and the promotion is only for residents of AK, OR and WA.
Only itineraries that originate at eligible airports will qualify for this promotion. Eligible airports include: Spokane/GEG; Pasco/PSC; Seattle/SEA; Eugene/EUG; Medford/MFR; Portland/PDX; Redmond/RDM; Anchorage/ANC; Fairbanks/FAI; Juneau/JNU; Ketchikan/KTN; and Sitka/SIT
I don't think it has any relation to AmEx unless it's somehow linked to the SPG AmEx card - but I could be wrong. While I do carry that card, it has never been linked to DL or my inactive SkyMiles number.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:26 am

I got it as well. Here's my thing with DL...I enjoy flying them. They're a solid airline in the air, have a better F product than AS and I've generally had good customer service with them, plus I have the Platinum DL Amex for the companion ticket that comes with it.

But they're never going to be my primary for these reasons:

1. I live in ANC. I applaud them for beefing up their ANC-SEA schedule and adding year round FAI and JNU service but most of my travel is to PDX and IAH and AS flies nonstop/same plane direct.

2. Their absurd $200 change fee per ticket.

3. As has been discussed ad-nauseam on here, SkyMiles is just atrocious compared to Mileage Plan.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Basic plain bottom-of-the-barrel Delta AMEX that I keep after 20 years for credit scoring purposes, and charging the occasional Delta flight for AS credit.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:37 am

I got the email as well. I also have the AMEX/SPG card.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
I got it as well. Here's my thing with DL...I enjoy flying them. They're a solid airline in the air, have a better F product than AS and I've generally had good customer service with them, plus I have the Platinum DL Amex for the companion ticket that comes with it.

But they're never going to be my primary for these reasons:

1. I live in ANC. I applaud them for beefing up their ANC-SEA schedule and adding year round FAI and JNU service but most of my travel is to PDX and IAH and AS flies nonstop/same plane direct.

2. Their absurd $200 change fee per ticket.

3. As has been discussed ad-nauseam on here, SkyMiles is just atrocious compared to Mileage Plan.
You have experience with DL while some of us do not, Chugach. Here's my question: If one were to be able to add the 2 RTs on DL to get Silver or 6 RTs on DL to get Gold - without compromising AS flights for status - might it be worth it?

It looks like they have some same-day $180 RTs between SEA & LAX. Could there any tangible benefit to be gained by doing 2 of those to get Silver? I can read about their status levels on the webpage, but don't know how DL status translates to reality.

Basically, is Silver or Gold "worth anything" in real life?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
You have experience with DL while some of us do not, Chugach. Here's my question: If one were to be able to add the 2 RTs on DL to get Silver or 6 RTs on DL to get Gold - without compromising AS flights for status - might it be worth it?

It looks like they have some same-day $180 RTs between SEA & LAX. Could there any tangible benefit to be gained by doing 2 of those to get Silver? I can read about their status levels on the webpage, but don't know how DL status translates to reality.

Silver, not really. Gold, probably. But the problem with DL gold is that you still have two elite tiers above you for upgrades. But it does get you free economy comfort and free bags. I'd say if you are going to get your AS status regardless, it can't hurt to have DL gold in your back pocket.

I hit MVPG in June last year, so I did some test driving on DL the remainder of 2014 and arrived at the conclusions above.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by AKCuisine

Well, you get to be above MP members on the insanely long Delta upgrade list...

Even on the Delta board there is pretty much the feeling that Diamond is the only status that really matters over there.

DL Silver and Gold will get you free bags, but not even SkyPriority. Maybe a little better handling of IRROPs and faster ability to get through on the phone.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lg20
Well, you get to be above MP members on the insanely long Delta upgrade list...

Even on the Delta board there is pretty much the feeling that Diamond is the only status that really matters over there.

DL Silver and Gold will get you free bags, but not even SkyPriority. Maybe a little better handling of IRROPs and faster ability to get through on the phone.
Pretty sure DL Gold gets SkyPriority unless it changed recently.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DL Gold is SkyTeam Elite Plus, which gets you lounge access on international flights (Mexico/Caribbean excepted).

Both Silver and Gold get complimentary Economy Comfort seats (24 and 72 hours out, respectively). Those come with free drinks (effective 3/1 domestically).

DL upgrades can be far more competitive on longer hauls, but less so on shorter hauls or West Coast flights.

I think it really depends on whether AS's route network meets your needs. If it does, for the most part, why bother with the switch? But for some, the breadth of DL's network may be a tipping point to get some to move.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:43 pm

Thank you for your insights and opinions, Chugach, Ig20 and channa.

As an Alaska resident for decades, I am quite loyal to AS and plan to remain so. But it's helpful to have a better understanding of the DL benefits that could possibly be of use at some point in time.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't Gold also get change fees waived?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.