Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why can't AS offer different FC food in different directions between city pairs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't AS offer different FC food in different directions between city pairs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Oh boy! Another thread about first class food!
No I think OP meant "food" served in First class - there is a big difference.

Etihad Airways has "First Class Food" !!!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:00 pm
IJK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uaflr
No I think OP meant "food" served in First class - there is a big difference.

Etihad Airways has "First Class Food" !!!
Actually, I wasn't commenting about the quality of the 'food' as much as the repetitive
offering of the same item for a whole month in both directions.

Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Exactly. Is anyone here going to switch allegiances and move to Delta or United over the food issue? Of course not, and Alaska is well aware of this.

I've just become resigned to it and am more than willing to self cater on those flights that I know to offer food that over time has become less appealing to me for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, I can and do take some humorous solace in the old Far Side cartoon showing a lady scooping out a can of dog food and the dogs thinking "Oh Boy! Dog food again!!!"

Oh Boy! Dog food again!!!
Oh Boy! Polenta again!!!
Don't switch to united, same issue there if not worse. Of course since no one gets upgraded you wouldn't know the difference
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Chili is now $8 a bowl.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:57 pm
IJK
Original Poster

Apparently, there is a 'new policy' that allows FC pax to order Coach meals just after takeoff,
when the in-flight service begins. I may have to try it to see if it works.

Also, the AS mobile app now allows pax to reserve Coach meals up to 12 hours ahead of time,
but only for certain flights, with all flights promised by the end of January 2015.

So we will see how this works. If I reserve the Coach meal before getting upgraded,
will it be automatically cancelled at the time of upgrade? And can I decline when
reaching my FC seat?

There were a number of folks commenting in the AS blog wanting the option to prepay.
I wonder if they never get upgraded.

Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
This has long been a complaint of mine as well, and it isn't just on the shorter hops.

Last week I was served the same gloppy salmon-flavored penne pasta and cheese on two long flights, ANC-PHX and the return. The other entree also was the same (blackened chicken with the ubiquitous polenta).

Yes, there were 2 options but you all know how that goes ... not everyone gets their first choice.

Why can't they serve different offerings on outbound versus return? Or maybe I should say, why won't they serve different offerings on outbound versus return?
I think for quite some time now it has been clear that AS doesn't want to spend much on catering so it's much cheaper for them to offer the same options for both inbound and outbound directions.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:34 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Oh boy! Another thread about first class food!
+1.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Chili is now $8 a bowl.
I sure hope the chili is still there when I fly SEA-ANC on 2/7. I may have to downgrade to Y so I can get some. Maybe bribe a Y passenger to buy me some? Another thought, I just want to see if someone thinks I'm punking them when I say "Hey i'll trade you my first class seat for yours. I really want to try the chili. "
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IJK
Sorry if I am sounding rantish, but this seems to be a sore point for a number of us who love AS.

If you value variety in F meals fly Delta. One can order a special meal on every flight with meal service. Do it online >12 hours in advance of scheduled flight and pick from 14 options; a few more are route-specific.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IJK
Apparently, there is a 'new policy' that allows FC pax to order Coach meals just after takeoff,

Also, the AS mobile app now allows pax to reserve Coach meals up to 12 hours ahead of time,
but only for certain flights, with all flights promised by the end of January 2015.

So we will see how this works. If I reserve the Coach meal before getting upgraded,
will it be automatically cancelled at the time of upgrade? And can I decline when
reaching my FC seat?

There were a number of folks commenting in the AS blog wanting the option to prepay.

So FC passengers can order Y meals for free after take off? Does that include fruit and cheese plates?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by IJK

Where did you hear/read about this "new policy," IJK?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by IJK

reaching my FC seat?

So FC passengers can order Y meals for free after take off? Does that include fruit and cheese plates?
AFAIK after the first pass in Y, those hot Northern Bites meals are complimentary in F, same with cheese plates. If you *really* want to try something and not run the risk of it running out- let them know before it commences and provide your CC.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IJK
I have never seen any of the Coach items offered in FC, for free or otherwise. I guess this is something that needs to be requested individually. Maybe we should start to do this. If we started requesting Coach meals, it is possible that someone at AS may, eventually, realize something that is painfully obvious to the rest of us.
The flight attendant working F on my SEA-EWR flight today is on a mission to get Alaska to start stocking F with 3-4 cheese platters and 3-4 tapas boxes to give away upon request. She says there's extra space in the catering carts to do it, and it would avoid the unhappiness of people in F hoping that econ doesn't chew through all of them. Apparently last week she got an earful from an 75K that got all DYKWIA about it.

Anyway, the upshot is: go to www.alaskalistens.com. Fill it in, tell them you want improved F food and/or a few of what coach gets made available as an option up front. It's called Alaska Listens for a reason

Neil
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
AFAIK after the first pass in Y, those hot Northern Bites meals are complimentary in F, same with cheese plates.
I discovered today it's after the last meal service run, not after first pass. On my transcon today they did two runs with the food cart and I had to wait (am still waiting and hoping, actually) for a leftover platter.

Neil
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
I discovered today it's after the last meal service run, not after first pass. On my transcon today they did two runs with the food cart and I had to wait (am still waiting and hoping, actually) for a leftover platter.

Neil
From what I've heard (based on the manual) its after the first one.

Granted things could of changed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.