Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
upgrades question

So far I have 4/5 trips successfully upgraded to first class this year, I am 75k, and my first 4 trips are upgraded to first class exactly at 120 hours before departure time, except this upcoming one, which I am still on fare class T (I have no idea why this one ended up with T instead of R) and it shows waitlisted.

My question is, if I didn't get roll-in as 75k, pretty much means it is full, right? or there is a possibility that any first class seat will becoming available between now and the departure day? How likely that would happen?

Cheers guys
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by WinSea
So far I have 4/5 trips successfully upgraded to first class this year, I am 75k, and my first 4 trips are upgraded to first class exactly at 120 hours before departure time, except this upcoming one, which I am still on fare class T (I have no idea why this one ended up with T instead of R) and it shows waitlisted.

My question is, if I didn't get roll-in as 75k, pretty much means it is full, right? or there is a possibility that any first class seat will becoming available between now and the departure day? How likely that would happen?

Cheers guys
I'd say sit tight and be optimistic. Use EF to see if there are any F seats for sale.

AS may be holding back inventory they think they can sell (or F could be full), but will release it for upgrade if it isn't.

Plus, you might have an F pax who change their mind and get off your flight... or you could get an F pax who gets ON to your flight.

I'd say, don't think about it too hard.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
I'd say sit tight and be optimistic. Use EF to see if there are any F seats for sale.

AS may be holding back inventory they think they can sell (or F could be full), but will release it for upgrade if it isn't.

Plus, you might have an F pax who change their mind and get off your flight... or you could get an F pax who gets ON to your flight.

I'd say, don't think about it too hard.
Thank you for your answer, I used EF and it shows still 6 seats available, I wonder why I am not rolled in. It looks like they are holding it.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thank you for your answer, I used EF and it shows still 6 seats available, I wonder why I am not rolled in.
Which route? If it's a popular route, it could just be an automated algorithm that thinks it can sell 6 F seats in the next 120 hours.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Which route? If it's a popular route, it could just be an automated algorithm that thinks it can sell 6 F seats in the next 120 hours.

SEA-DTW on 19th AS792
I took it before and was granted first class 120 hours before, not sure why this time they are holding it.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

SEA-DTW on 19th AS792
I took it before and was granted first class 120 hours before, not sure why this time they are holding it.
According to the algorithm set by AS, they think they can sell the seat. Some folks do buy last minute F fares, or like having the flexibility to change dates and still have seats left. So it could go either way.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's MLK JR day on the 19th. Could that be part of it?

DTW is now F2 Y7 Z7 S0 so it seems like a pretty packed flight. Seat map shows 5 empty in F so it just looks like some people do not have seat assignments up there. 12 seats are X'd out in back (looks like they have not determined new vs old config) there are also 16 unassigned seats blocked for elites so some Y passengers likely don't have seat assignment. It doesn't look good

Both ORD flights are completely sold out and MSP is only Y2.

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 15, 2015 at 7:33 am Reason: Looked closer at flight
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing

DTW is now F2 Y7 Z7 S0 so it seems like a pretty packed flight. Seat map shows 5 empty in F so it just looks like some people do not have seat assignments up there. 12 seats are X'd out in back (looks like they have not determined new vs old config) there are also 16 unassigned seats blocked for elites so some Y passengers likely don't have seat assignment. It doesn't look good

It's MLK JR. Day, I think you are right, this is the first time I experience their "hold", I will not put too much hope, at least I got the elite seat. Thank you very much for looking that up!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing

You are right, it doesn't look good, compare this route to SEA-PHL, it seems upgrades are not as easy. Right now the F class departure flight is filling up and returning is completely full.

I wonder what algorithms AS uses to predict first class sales, I guess base on their flight history? Seems like people tend to do paid upgrades when fly to Seattle from ny.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
You are right, it doesn't look good, compare this route to SEA-PHL, it seems upgrades are not as easy. Right now the F class departure flight is filling up and returning is completely full.

I wonder what algorithms AS uses to predict first class sales, I guess base on their flight history? Seems like people tend to do paid upgrades when fly to Seattle from ny.
That's the job of revenue management, to predict how many they can sell at the price that maximize revenue. They will hold some paid F seats until day of flight.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by seacarl

That's the job of revenue management, to predict how many they can sell at the price that maximize revenue. They will hold some paid F seats until day of flight.
If FT only had access to this formula

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.