Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:06 pm

I didn't want to start a thread for this - it probably belongs in the newbie thread -

If I commence travel on a paid ticket, fly the outbound, and then decide to change my plans before flying the return, will AS allow me to cancel the return segment and put the credit in my wallet (and pay the change fee, of course)?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I didn't want to start a thread for this - it probably belongs in the newbie thread -

If I commence travel on a paid ticket, fly the outbound, and then decide to change my plans before flying the return, will AS allow me to cancel the return segment and put the credit in my wallet (and pay the change fee, of course)?
probably they would but i have never tried it myself; but to be safe, why not just book it as two one ways? since all AS fares are valid for one way or round trip travel (OW+OW price) you wouldn't be out any $$ by doing it this way.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
probably they would but i have never tried it myself; but to be safe, why not just book it as two one ways? since all AS fares are valid for one way or round trip travel (OW+OW price) you wouldn't be out any $$ by doing it this way.
I'm already booked - I have a BOS-SAN-BOS run coming up. I need to return sooner but don't want to do the change now since I want to stay on the waitlist (my status expired on 12/31). Given that they're selling B fares right now on the return, I'm already past the risk of the fare being ridiculous. I'm probably going to fly the outbound then cancel the return segment, since I have a reasonably priced AA return flight on hold.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm already booked - I have a BOS-SAN-BOS run coming up. I need to return sooner but don't want to do the change now since I want to stay on the waitlist (my status expired on 12/31). Given that they're selling B fares right now on the return, I'm already past the risk of the fare being ridiculous. I'm probably going to fly the outbound then cancel the return segment, since I have a reasonably priced AA return flight on hold.
i have dropped off the return leg of a round trip before outbound departure and the credit has been put back in my wallet. i did it with a phone call to the MVP line but truth be told i think you can do it online with "change reservation" link. so i know that would work. what i'm not sure about is if you can do it after you have already flown the outbound.

i'm not sure if this would reissue the ticket and result in re-waitlisting, as the flight i did it on did not have upgrades (QX).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:47 pm

Well, I'll give it a try and report back. I do know that canceling the return segment now, prior to flying the outbound, will reissue the ticket. I'll wait, fly and see if I can cancel the return segment and we'll get some new data here.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I once cancelled a return on AS at the last minute. Not sure if the same circumstances apply, but it was a dark and stormy night at PDX, they cancelled our flight and put us on one the next morning. Next morning the wind was still howling and we just did not want to fly so we rented a car and drove home. AS gave us our money back for that segment, even though the flight did leave and arrive on time and safely, so "weather" was not really a factor, it was our choice. It was probably in the form of a credit, but I don't recall.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:16 pm

I have 100k in Alaska airline milage and about 200k as miles. I am planning my first tour to Alaska from MCI and have few questions, I am sure I will get my direction from here.

- which mileage points should I use for best value?

- is it better to fly Anchorage and fly back from Fairbanks.

Any 5-6 days itinerary suggestion?

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mak101
I have 100k in Alaska airline milage and about 200k as miles. I am planning my first tour to Alaska from MCI and have few questions, I am sure I will get my direction from here.

- which mileage points should I use for best value?

- is it better to fly Anchorage and fly back from Fairbanks.

Any 5-6 days itinerary suggestion?

Thanks.
Can you clarify those mileage balances? You said 100k Alaska and 200k AS - AS = Alaska. Did you mean a different airline?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:00 pm

I saw in one of the FAQs that the companion pass can not be used for code shares. I'm not 100% sure what this means.

If I order a flight to Alaska through Alaska Airlines portal, but the first hop to Seattle is Delta (there are no Alaska flights direct from my airport), then does this count as a code share? Or is it only forbidden to book a Delta ticket which uses Alaska Airlines for the last leg?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Its basically good on 'Alaska Metal' ie flown by Alaska- this includes QX flights, KS operated ANC-DUT, and select OO flights marketed by AS. DL and AA metal is excluded from the companion certificate, even if AS has a codeshare on the flight.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:04 am

Can you clarify those mileage balances? You said 100k Alaska and 200k AS - AS = Alaska. Did you mean a different airline?
Sorry, its AA.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by mak101
Sorry, its AA.
From an award pricing perspective, AA and AS both price out Alaska from the lower 48 as any other domestic award. 25k RT coach, 50K RT in first with both airlines (if you look at the AA chart, you'll see 50k Business/First and 62.5k First - that has to do with a 2 or 3 cabin offering, and nobody's running 3 cabin Y/J/F to Alaska that I know).

Both AA and AS have access to one another's saver space, but while AA prices AS first as 50k, AS prices AA first at 65k. For that reason, I'd suggest that if you plan to fly F, you don't book an AA flight using AS miles.

Beyond that, how are you earning your miles and which do you value more? I'd personally be inclined to book with AA miles, since AS miles have some partner flexibility that AA doesn't.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
All. I have need of assistance. I am looking to switch over from DL, and they have made it almost impossible to get miles and would like to switch to Alaska. The problem is that I am based in ATL and there is only 1 flight per day that gets into SEA at 8:45pm, too late for most connections. I guess I am wondering from those in the know, is it even worth it to try and do Alaska?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
All. I have need of assistance. I am looking to switch over from DL, and they have made it almost impossible to get miles and would like to switch to Alaska. The problem is that I am based in ATL and there is only 1 flight per day that gets into SEA at 8:45pm, too late for most connections. I guess I am wondering from those in the know, is it even worth it to try and do Alaska?
kinda need more info to help ya
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
if you fly out of ATL to the west coast a lot, you are probably better off sticking with DL. however if you fly high fare buckets regularly you could fly DL metal and do pretty well with crediting miles to AS, particularly if you are buying a lot of cheaper F fares, which conceivably could earn better mileage on AS than DL in some circumstances.

what we really need to know is your fare buying patterns (cheapest available versus full fare versus paid F), your most frequent destinations, and what is most important to you in an FFP (valuable miles, upgrades, etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.