Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need help with Gold U upgrade - quick!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I need help with Gold U upgrade - quick!

First time flexing my Gold muscles, and I'm very confused.

Flights have Gold U available, so I book them, at an upcharge to the coach fare.

Now I'm selecting seats and it's showing me the Y map! I thought if the Gold U was available, you could book it into F immediately?

This is not a Gold Guest Upgrade, but the Gold upgrade.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Have you booked it yet? I think the upgrade is processed after you actually book it.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

No, I didn't complete it.

When it asks if I want a complimentary upgrade, do I say "no" since I'm paying the Gold upgrade charge?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:19 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
pick any y seat or skip selecting seats. Once you get the purchase confirmation it should automatically show you upgraded to F, then pick your seats

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Have you booked it yet? I think the upgrade is processed after you actually book it.
This is correct. Once you confirm and pay, your reservation will show 'upgraded to first class' and you can go back in and select F seats. So just skip the seat selection when you book (or choose anything - it won't matter).
ANC

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No, I didn't complete it.

When it asks if I want a complimentary upgrade, do I say "no" since I'm paying the Gold upgrade charge?
select YES or you wont be upgraded
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:22 pm
ANC

An H fare with U space is a complimentary upgrade
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Ok, but before I go back to try again, just confirming what ANC said: I do select that I want a complimentary upgrade, right? That confuses me because it is not "free", I am paying an upcharge over the lowest Y fare...so just double checking that I do check "yes" for the complimentary upgrade...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Ok, but before I go back to try again, just confirming what ANC said: I do select that I want a complimentary upgrade, right? That confuses me because it is not "free", I am paying an upcharge over the lowest Y fare...so just double checking that I do check "yes" for the complimentary upgrade...
YES! Select YES!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Ok, here I go! I'll be back to report!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It is free. It is still a coach fare that anyone can buy, be they Gold or not. The upgrade is only free to those Gold and above. If the only fares available for purchase were H, that is what anyone wanting a coach seat would have to pay and they would not get a complimentary upgrade. Only a Gold or 75K gets that. So just say yes.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

I said Yes! And it worked! I love you guys!!!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:41 pm
ANC

I said Yes! And it worked! I love you guys!!!
the only time you dont select yes is if you dont want to sit in F OR you want to use a guest upgrade, then you would select the gold guest upgrade option. Im not sure what you would select with mileage upgrades but as a gold, whats the point of a mileage upgrade because like a gold upgrade at booking its the H fare or higher. Mileage upgrades can make sense for an MVP.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Great, one more thing I know how to do now! Thank you all again.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

And remember if feeling generous with AS this holiday season, YSBM all grant extra miles...H does not . But most times H is expensive enough. Not sure the jump H to M...but if its not too much, there's another 25% bonus in your future

Glad you selected yes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.