Search

Please don't page me at the gate to ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Please don't page me at the gate to ...

... see if I'll switch seats in F to accommodate an upgraded family that wants to sit closer together.

I was probably one of four or fewer paid fares for the cabin, based upon the seatmap before UG period started.

(1) In the rare event I'm ever paged at a gate, I think "oh eff, what happened?" It would be different if I were awaiting a seat assignment, UG, etc.
(2) I don't like my name blurted out over a loudspeaker if I can avoid it. This includes professional reasons.
(3) My first flight on the trip was already seat "mix and match" in F because of a similar amount of UGs. Fortunately, no one asked me.
(4) I pick my particular seats of choice for a reason.
(5) I don't mind people politely asking onboard and not being offended if refused. The lady next to me was very nice. The person that didn't get to sit next to her was glaring at me.

But back to 1 and 2, please don't page me for this.

Ok flame away.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
+1

No flame from me.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
+2...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
+!

If the "family upgrading together" really wanted to sit together, they would have purchased the seats together, just like you did. When you get something for free...like a first class upgrade, just enjoy the seat and excellent AS service, look at your family member from the next row, and reunite in a couple of hours. It's not the end of the world to sit apart for a little while.

Most importantly, don't ask me to move from row 1 or 2, which I paid for and selected, to row 4, where they may be no divider and no choice of meals. I don't need to be put into a position to politely say no and then feel weird for the rest of the flight, because I was not "accommodating" to your upgrade success.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Another vote for discretion... and that was not discreet.

Reminds me of a story somewhere on the UA forum where a retired Mike Ditka (former coach for the Chicago Bears) flying out of ORD saw on the screen that he had been upgraded. He approached the counter just as the GA was about to make an announcement, making the call for upgraded pax to get their new BPs. Coach Ditka knew what was about to happen, and tried to get the GA's attention. Something along the lines of:

Coach: Excuse me, miss...
GA: Sir, please give me a second, I have to make an announcement.
Coach: I know, but...
GA: I'll be right with you.
Coach: But...
GA: ***PAGING PASSENGER DITKA... MICHAEL DITKA... PLEASE REPORT TO THE GATE COUNTER***
Gate Area: <crickets> ... <stampede>
(the above was a dramatization of events)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:42 am

To the family: take the upgrade and just be grateful for it! Not nitpicking your seat...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kenhawk
+!

If the "family upgrading together" really wanted to sit together, they would have purchased the seats together, just like you did. When you get something for free...like a first class upgrade, just enjoy the seat and excellent AS service, look at your family member from the next row, and reunite in a couple of hours. It's not the end of the world to sit apart for a little while.

Most importantly, don't ask me to move from row 1 or 2, which I paid for and selected, to row 4, where they may be no divider and no choice of meals. I don't need to be put into a position to politely say no and then feel weird for the rest of the flight, because I was not "accommodating" to your upgrade success.
You pay to sit in row 1? Ha
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Agreed. Now, where can this be posted where those asking for seat changes will read it?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
You pay to sit in row 1? Ha
If it is the only aisle left, you betcha! Also, I'll take 1 over 4.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AS
Not to be the contrarian, but I'd much rather have a AS staff person make this request of me (either the FA or the gate agent) as opposed to another passenger. It's a lot easier to explain why I don't want to move to an employee as opposed to a high strung passenger who is emotionally invested in where they site.

My only concern about gate announcements is that I'm probably not going to be at the gate much in advance of when it's time to board, so I'm not sure how effective of a communication strategy this even is.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kenhawk
+!

So, how exactly am I supposed to know that you paid for that seat instead of being upgraded into it and having it selected randomly for you (and possibly you being indifferent to being switched so people can sit together)? Do you wear a button saying "DYKWIA"?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, how exactly am I supposed to know that you paid for that seat instead of being upgraded into it and having it selected randomly for you (and possibly you being indifferent to being switched so people can sit together)?
If you work for AS at the gate you can see fare codes.

I don't have a problem with AS having a policy (which I don't think they do) of not asking folks to move around in the F cabin to take care of those being upgraded at the last minute.

Either take the upgrade(s) with the seats that are available or keep your seats in coach.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_sparky
Not to be the contrarian, but I'd much rather have a AS staff person make this request of me (either the FA or the gate agent) as opposed to another passenger. It's a lot easier to explain why I don't want to move to an employee as opposed to a high strung passenger who is emotionally invested in where they site.

My only concern about gate announcements is that I'm probably not going to be at the gate much in advance of when it's time to board, so I'm not sure how effective of a communication strategy this even is.
Several years ago in SEA, a gate agent claims to have paged me several times for the same thing. I was at the gate area probably T-50, and the first thing I knew anything was amiss was when I went to board and my BP scan had an error, I was sent to the counter, where she informed me that "she paged me, I didn't respond, and she changed my seat" (to a row 4 window, IIRC).

An AS staff person asking me isn't the issue. An AS staff person paging me on a loudspeaker is.

And, I don't need to explain why I don't want to move. I'm not a high strung passenger. I'll most likely switch to any aisle in rows 1 through 3. I will not switch to an AS window, where I'll be trapped. I also want a decent shot at my meal choice.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I think the reason for it may be a factor. A couple or family sitting together, let's work it out on the plane.

I was paged a couple months ago for a disability pax to swap (he needed the other side aisle because of an injured leg, and they wanted to preboard him into the ideal seat (mine)).

No problem with the swap and the page there, that's more out of necessity, IMO.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
I think the reason for it may be a factor. A couple or family sitting together, let's work it out on the plane.

I was paged a couple months ago for a disability pax to swap (he needed the other side aisle because of an injured leg, and they wanted to preboard him into the ideal seat (mine)).

No problem with the swap and the page there, that's more out of necessity, IMO.
That's another story. Also, one could be seated in an actual seat that is subject to loss because it is a designated H seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.