Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Min. connecting time at DCA to US Shuttle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold

Hi gang, I'll be on the AS PDX-DCA nonstop next month and am looking to book a separate ticket DCA-BOS on US. Having never connected thru DCA before, I read each pier has its own security checkpoint and no airside connections, so I'd need to re-clear TSA albeit with PreCheck in hand. If everything is on time, PDX-DCA arrives 5:40 pm. I can book the US Shuttle at 6:30 pm or 7:30 pm. Is 6:30 pm pushing it?

Cheers,
Tom
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if your flight is on time 6:30 is doable with a mobile boarding pass and TSA Pre. however, if you're late inbound on AS and you miss it, you might find the 7:30 flight to be full and putting yourself in a bad situation of having to standby, or connect in PHL/LGA to get back on track and avoid a DCA overnight.

why not book PDX-BOS nonstop on AS? already bought the DCA ticket?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If any other time, I would book the earlier and take the later in case of misconnect. But, PV_Premier is correct, that 7:30 is often full. Better to book the 7:30 and hop on the 6:30 if, as is likely, you make it.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
iwhy not book PDX-BOS nonstop on AS? already bought the DCA ticket?
Yes, I have to be in DC for work the week after the BOS sidetrip, and work is only paying for PDX-DCA Hence the shuttle jaunt. Thanks PV_Premier and Often1!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the only issue with going standby on the earlier flight is the same day standby fee of $50 which presumably would not be waived as it doesn't appear OP has any US/AA status.

if OP is accurately relaying MVP status on his handle, and the flight from PDX-DCA is still >60 days away, it might behoove him/her to look at the possibility of the change fee waiver offered by AS and switch onto the nonstop PDX-BOS.

edit to add: above might be a better deal all around even if OP has to pay the change in fare out of pocket. then book a one way BOS-DCA to get back.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Does DL no longer fly this route? It would not require leaving security...
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the only issue with going standby on the earlier flight is the same day standby fee of $50 which presumably would not be waived as it doesn't appear OP has any US/AA status.

if OP is accurately relaying MVP status on his handle, and the flight from PDX-DCA is still >60 days away, it might behoove him/her to look at the possibility of the change fee waiver offered by AS and switch onto the nonstop PDX-BOS.

edit to add: above might be a better deal all around even if OP has to pay the change in fare out of pocket. then book a one way BOS-DCA to get back.
Yes, I am MVP and the trip is 5 weeks away. The PDX-BOS nonstop is going to cost me an extra $489 vs. the DCA-BOS r/t at $250. But thanks for the idea.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Only connecting through LGA/JFK.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by ptpinit
Originally Posted by beckoa

Only connecting through LGA/JFK.
Ah.

Iirc before the slot swap it was a n/s DL flight but haven't kept track.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:59 pm

There's always JetBlue (6:10 and 8:35). Unfortunately, I believe they are moving to Terminal B... today as it turns out. I think US also has a 9pm and 10pm departure, but those could also be full.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
There's always JetBlue (6:10 and 8:35). Unfortunately, I believe they are moving to Terminal B... today as it turns out. I think US also has a 9pm and 10pm departure, but those could also be full.
Why is that an unfortunately on the B6 front? They were previously over in the cr*ppy circular building monstrosity that they call terminal A. While they are not in the same pier as UA / DL / AS, they are now in the same pier (middle) as AA / US which is actually closer to the OP than the far pier in Terminal B/C where the Shuttle departs from.

OP should keep in mind that DCA pre-check closes ridiculously early so even if the OP has pre-check they may find themselves unable to access it if they are delayed or at least I recall that being the case prior to moving from DC earlier this summer.

FYI for your own future information - there is an airside connection (well bus) between the two piers that house VX, B6, AA, and US.

I would agree with others who say 730 and if you are able to make it over to the 630 just pay the $50 same day standby fee (or if any delays are in play for the 730 get that waived)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP is footing the bill, why not fly B6 which has 3 flights (6:25, 7:38 and 9:59) which might meet his needs. Fares, of course, vary, but random September dates show a low fare of $84-99 which likely beats either the USS or DLS hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.