Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not eligible to purchase miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Not eligible to purchase miles?

I tried purchasing miles now that the promo is live, but after filling in the details and selecting the mileage to purchase, I was met with an error that says "Your account is not eligible to purchase miles" with no further explanation.

I thought it might be because I was having a non-N.American address, but my mother's account has the same problem and her account is registered in the US. Is it because her account is only a few weeks old?

I tried calling AS but they claimed they have no information on why this is happening since it's points.com that handles it.

Any ideas? Hopefully it's just a website error.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Kais767
Is it because her account is only a few weeks old?
That could be it. Some airlines have rules that you can't buy miles unless your account is of a certain age. I don't know specifically if AS has this rule, though (the one time I bought AS miles was after I'd had my account for several years).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Is it because her account is only a few weeks old?
That could be it. Some airlines have rules that you can't buy miles unless your account is of a certain age. I don't know specifically if AS has this rule, though (the one time I bought AS miles was after I'd had my account for several years).
I think this is the winner...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think this is the winner...
I do recall Missy stating their was an account age requirement just cant find the post or remember how long.

Looking at some terms and conditions from some other programs its appears to be 30 days. Ben at OMAT blog seems to indicate 12 days

I thought it might be because I was having a non-N.American address
According to the following post by an Australian member that the country of purchase requirement went away 2 months ago. OMAT blog still claims its not possile. How old is your acount with foreign address?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23397912-post4.html

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 28, 2014 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...w-account.html
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:23 pm

When gifting miles, does just the account doing the gifting have the be within the minimum age, or both?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Read on older posts One Mile At A Time can take up to 10 days before new members are able to buy AS miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.