Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MP System Down: 8/14-8/18 Please Pardon Our Dust Mileage Plan System Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:21 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

Per my MVP Statement I just received:

Please Pardon Our Dust
Mileage Plan System Update
From August 14 to August 18, we'll be performing some scheduled maintenance to the systems that power our Mileage Plan. During this time, you'll be unable to view Mileage Plan information in your MyAccount, redeem miles for award travel, or buy, gift, and transfer miles. If you can, please plan ahead and book, buy, gift, or redeem ahead of time.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
wow, that's a long and annoying outage. sucks for anyone who is trying to book a partner award on dates that might fall at the tail end of the booking calendar during that period.

i wonder if guest upgrade application and other non-mileage functionality will be impaired too. did it say anything about whether miles could be redeemed by calling during this period of time?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
wow, that's a long and annoying outage. sucks for anyone who is trying to book a partner award on dates that might fall at the tail end of the booking calendar during that period.

i wonder if guest upgrade application and other non-mileage functionality will be impaired too. did it say anything about whether miles could be redeemed by calling during this period of time?
Yeah -- seems like read only access should be granted to account information, at least.

Also hope AS has the sense of mind to provide the call center a printout/spreadsheet of account information for the planned downtime. At least that way the masses can call and inquire as to their account balance.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold

I agree as to the length - it seems excessive. What would be nice is if they would agree to waive the service fee for calling in during this time.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dave1013
I agree as to the length - it seems excessive. What would be nice is if they would agree to waive the service fee for calling in during this time.
Don't think calling in to redeem is an option either.

Otherwise there's no change in fees that I can think of.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I pasted exactly what was in the email. nothing more / nothing less was included.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:05 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
guest upgrades and companion certificate use will also be affected during the outage.

They are planning to put more comprehensive information up around the 1st of August
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:08 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Don't think calling in to redeem is an option either.
correct
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

But how will I be able to check my account balance multiple times daily? This act of egregious maleficience on behalf of AS is deplorable. I demand compensation and punitive damages.

Oops, sorry, this isn't the DL forum.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
guest upgrades and companion certificate use will also be affected during the outage.

They are planning to put more comprehensive information up around the 1st of August
But... That means potentially sitting in coach!?

*Collective freak-out from elites*
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin

Thanks, I look forward to the info!

That said, there can be a big difference between "system maintenance" and "scheduled update". It's hard for me to envision how system maintenance would take the equivalent of a full workweek so there has to be some big changes coming!

Last edited by dave1013; Jul 9, 2014 at 11:26 am Reason: The equivalent of
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
take date stamped screenshots of your mileage/EQM/guest upgrade/my wallet balances before the outage! there are sure to be shenanigans!

oh wait, this isn't UA.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
take date stamped screenshots of your mileage/EQM/guest upgrade/my wallet balances before the outage! there are sure to be shenanigans!

oh wait, this isn't UA.
I will be doing a screenshot. I need to fix some awards before it soes down. I had one where schedule chaneg and now reservation shows i paid 1/2 as many miles as I Did. would hate for them to lose any data backing it up.

Maybe they can fix the Emirates awrds while they are at it
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

That said, there can be a big difference between "system maintenance" and "scheduled update". It's hard for me to envision how system maintenance would take the equivalent of a full workweek so there has to be some big changes coming!
Hopefully not a switch to revenue based!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, Starwood PLT, Hertz PC

While there might be changes in the future, I highly doubt we will see big changes after this maintenance.

To me it sounds like they are making significant & massive changes to the back end systems powering this, most likely also a migration from one database to another (even potentially changing the actual database software in the process). In this time, even RO access is pain.

It is a very conservative approach to take the entire system offline and in most cases a Technology team within a company *never* gets this type of window because it frustrates customers and most just don't have a clue on how IT backend systems work. The fact that AAG management is "okay" with this, shows they are taking this quite seriously and they'll have time to resolve any issues (of which there will be plenty, the folks working that week wont be getting a lot of sleep).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.