Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there no evening PDX-SNA flight??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Looking to take the family to Disneyland next Fall and noticed that BUR, ONT, and LAX all have evening (5pm or later) flights from PDX, but the last flight to SNA is 3:35pm which doesn't work for those of us who work during during the day. The plan now is to fly into LAX and drive from there, but I am kinda surprised that an evening flight to a popular destination such as SNA doesn't exist (*fingers crossed* that there will be a favorable schedule change between now and then).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Popular" doesn't matter. Think about PRASM / revenue. Fill the flight with full Y and there will be hourly service into the late evening.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I know allowable nighttime noise at SNA is a lot lower than during the day. But the 737 isn't on the list of restricted aircraft.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is there a later one from SEA?

Would it work with a connection (granted might need to leave PDX at the same time to make this )
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

Would it work with a connection (granted might need to leave PDX at the same time to make this )
Last flight from SEA is 7:45PM. Definitively a capacity issue from PDX, per the usual.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa

Yeah, SEA has the 7:45pm and the latest I can reasonably get to PDX would be for the 6:30pm PDX-SEA flight which creates an illegal connection in SEA. The 8:45pmish LAX flight is actually timed right as far as a "stress free" trip to PDX (it's past rush hour) so we'll just have to be content with that, but I'd be curious to know how many folks on the late flight to LAX would actually pick SNA if given a choice
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:30 pm

SNA is slotted restricted and usually only the 700's are flying that route. Not certain but it could surely be an issue of aircraft availability, a 700 that is.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
SNA is slotted restricted and usually only the 700's are flying that route. Not certain but it could surely be an issue of aircraft availability, a 700 that is.
Interesting...that might be it....SNA just seems like the odd man out when you look at the late night departures from PDX (SAN, SFO, SJC, LAX, BUR, LAS, ONT, etc....but no SNA).
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:49 pm

Not correct, 5/6 flights today were -800s.

Slot restricted would infer that a -800, which can fly all of the -700 routes, would be used to provide more capacity. So, probably due to a -800 not being available.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
No, AC availability isn't the issue. Alaska "temporarily" gave four of their slots back to the airport a few years ago. Two weren't used and I believe the other two were used on PDX flights.

It's the same reason there's no 7a departure to PDX anymore.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Not correct, 5/6 flights today were -800s.

Slot restricted would infer that a -800, which can fly all of the -700 routes, would be used to provide more capacity. So, probably due to a -800 not being available.
My bad, I was going off of memory when all of the SNA flights except 1 were 700's and the other was an 800. Should have looked at the schedule before posting.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I (used to) fly that one a lot. My understanding is AS pulled it because nobody was taking the 6 something AM flight SNA/PDX, so they couldn't justify flying down at night, crew overnight, etc. This happened 2-3 years ago and they gave the slots back to the airport authorities. It's good news that it was temporary, I didn't know that. But I can say the PDX/SNA evening flight was very rarely full and I think it's a flight I always got an upgrade on, every time.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
SNA is both slot-restricted and "time-restricted" (i.e. no departures between 10pm and 6am or something similar). If AS couldn't fill an evening departure out of PDX and/or a morning flight to PDX, then that would be a very good reason to not have the flight. Too bad that they couldn't do a PDX-SMF-SNA or something like that with a 6pm departure out of PDX.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by formeraa
SNA is both slot-restricted and "time-restricted" (i.e. no departures between 10pm and 6am or something similar). If AS couldn't fill an evening departure out of PDX and/or a morning flight to PDX, then that would be a very good reason to not have the flight. Too bad that they couldn't do a PDX-SMF-SNA or something like that with a 6pm departure out of PDX.
Ugh. If they did that, you could be guaranteed that it would be on a Q400. No fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.