Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS 737 SEA-DEN overweight, passengers offloaded, why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS 737 SEA-DEN overweight, passengers offloaded, why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by tusphotog
If the plane you swapped with to had been fueled for a much, much longer flight (i.e. SEA-FLL, KOA or even DFW), chances are they'd be over max landing weight. To keep from delaying the flight even more, they probably didn't want to offload fuel.
^^^^^
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Um, in that example the plane would have to land with zero fuel!
Excellent observation!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
offloading fuel means you have to destroy it. It is considered "contaminated" if you have to offload fuel nowadays.

What we don't know if this was an 800ETOPS or 800 standard, maybe there was an MEL on something mechanical that prevented the plane from flying at optimal speeds/whatnot. (MEL = Maintenance item that doesn't affect how the plane flies but just needs fixed sooner than later).

But yes, odd that an 800 would take a weight hit on a short route.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:30 pm

I just read the thread title and thought it said "overweight passenger offloaded". This is definitely a case of punctuation being very important My first thought was, OMG! If they're offloading overweight passengers it won't be long before they start offloading overweight crew too. My days are numbered!!!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:42 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
over weight coinage flying from the Denver mint to the Fed Reserve bank in Seattle
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by SOCguy
Empty a/c (no pax or fuel) = 100,000 pounds.
Pax and cargo = 40,000 pounds.
Fuel = 30,000 pounds.
Fuel burn for flight = 20,000 pounds.

So, plane leaves at a weight of (100,000 + 40,000 + 30,000) 170,000 pounds.
En route, it burns off 20,000 pounds of fuel so when it arrives at its destination, its expected to land at 150,000 pounds.

BUT, the aircraft's maximum landing weight is 140,000 pounds. Guess what, you're now 10,000 pounds overweight out of your origin.
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Um, in that example the plane would have to land with zero fuel!
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Excellent observation!
Perhaps I'm missing it, but they'd land with 10k pounds of gas in the tanks in the example quoted above. To get under max landing weight in the quoted example, they'd have to pull 10k worth of cargo/people or 5k of people and increase fuel burn by 5k (assuming the remaining 5k worth of gas is legal under the reserves) to get under max landing weight.

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
offloading fuel means you have to destroy it. It is considered "contaminated" if you have to offload fuel nowadays.
Makes great heating oil or you can even run it in your diesel car. It might need a little lubricant in it though.

Originally Posted by jackal
Can they just request to fly at a lower altitude--say, 20,000 feet--that burns more fuel than normal cruise and thus get down below max landing weight?
Sure they can, but if the aircraft is fueled for Hawaii or Florida and you're only going 1,000 miles, flying at 20,000 feet won't burn off enough gas. There could be other concerns that would prohibit flying down low as well: convection, turb, icing etc.

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
If they're offloading overweight passengers it won't be long before they start offloading overweight crew too. My days are numbered!!!
Must be all those left over chocolates I see in the galley!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I totally read the title as "overweight passengers offloaded" at initial glance. Lol
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I just read the thread title and thought it said "overweight passenger offloaded". This is definitely a case of punctuation being very important My first thought was, OMG! If they're offloading overweight passengers it won't be long before they start offloading overweight crew too. My days are numbered!!!
I am so glad someone else read it this way! While i do not need a seat belt extender neither am I allowed on zip lines for example and to my profound relief!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:26 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
VDB on AS....now that's a rare event these days (compared to DL or UA where it seems like almost every time you check-in, you get asked if you want to be put on the VDB list)....it's been since maybe the 90's or early 2000's that I got VDB on AS--what is the compensation these days?
For a different flight that got a last minute swap from a -900 to an -800 (the first leg of SEA-SFO-PVR) I got a $300 certificate. This was about a a year and a half ago but I'd imagine that it would be about the same now.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
Originally Posted by ctporter
I am so glad someone else read it this way! While i do not need a seat belt extender neither am I allowed on zip lines for example and to my profound relief!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.