Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDB improvements coming on mid/transcon flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDB improvements coming on mid/transcon flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
So how is it then that Alaska Airlines management decides to embark on an improvement to its inflight product but then fails to follow through on its successful systemwide implementation by apparently either abiding occasional haphazard mediocrity or looking the other way when a significant percentage of its flight attendants fail to consistently deliver that proposed upgrade to service?

Perhaps, unbeknownst to us - those service enhancements were only meant to apply to certain flight numbers or even days of the week.
My takeaway from it is that AS managment has no sense of what they want their F product to be from an identity perspective. Right now it is 75K/MVPG class. Let's face it. 90% of the people in that cabin are upgraders, perhaps down to say 70% on some high demand corporate/government heavy routes.

I feel like they are trying to figure out ways to monetize the cabin more, but what they are actually doing is F'ing all that up, by constantly changing the product and making the experience inconsistent at best.

AS FAs are the top of the line among the US carriers, as a whole. Sure there are a few bad apples but not in the same frequency of AA/UA/DL. AS managment needs to step up and deliver a product that is worthy of the $$. I've bought a grand total of one AS F ticket in my life, and the only reason was that it was $20 more than coach at the time and the extra miles alone made that worth it. If F earned the same as Y, I would have just bought the coach and surely gotten the upgrade as usual.

Don't get me wrong, I love the upgrades, but I would rather see my upgrade rate at 50% than close to 75%, if the product was twice as good when I made it up there and AS was making good money off it.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Let's face it. 90% of the people in that cabin are upgraders, perhaps down to say 70% on some high demand corporate/government heavy routes.
The systemwide average number of paid F, including discount F, is about 6 seats.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Absolutely no excuse why they can't offer anything in inventory absent a time constraint or local laws regarding liquor pre-departure. It's a minimal service standard and if other carriers can do it, these guys can too.
Amen. Hell if American can do it - the "best" airline in the industry can do it. But I will miss the flight attendant walking through the cabin offering hand outs of water like it's Aeroflot or something.

The real service discrep for AS with PDB is the usually less-rushed in-flight service once flight attendants get up means you can easily go over an hour from sitting down and getting anything to drink. When compared to the competition, it's a major fail.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No pdb yesterday sea-ord. No special circumstances (short turn, etc) that I am aware of that would have prevented it. Maybe it wasn't catered properly because the red wine ran out during the meal service a little over an hour and a half into the flight. Overall it was a strange flight, no nuts, first beverage service was close to 45 minutes in; no turbulence or other instructions from the captain to stay seated. The flight attendant up front seemed quite inexperienced.
Sounds like the same crew I had last week on SEA-LAS. 2 hour flight time. Didn't get a drink until 50 minutes in, meal at 60, and had to ring flight call button for meal tray pick-up after they started their patented sit down early for LAS arrival. It was poorly done.

And add to it I was dumb enough to board at 40 mins early so I could sit there and watch flight attendants chat up front.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Let's face it. 90% of the people in that cabin are upgraders, perhaps down to say 70% on some high demand corporate/government heavy routes.
Not so much.

http://crankyflier.com/2011/08/11/al...ls-more-seats/

That was back in 2011 before AS was selling P class; it's not gotten better.

For funsies and for an additional anecdote in replacement of hard data, go look at how many F seats are available for sale 6/24 on SEA-LAS. Most of the flights are sold out. This is BEFORE the MVPG upgrade window (and it was this way last week before the 75K window too).

Don't get me wrong, I love the upgrades, but I would rather see my upgrade rate at 50% than close to 75%,
That'll happen soon enough once the 738s go from 16F to 12F as part of the Y+/F improvement process.

Originally Posted by dayone
The systemwide average number of paid F, including discount F, is about 6 seats.
That's more like it.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
We were offered coffee, tea, and OJ in addition to the Dasani bottles on DTW-SEA today. Given that departure time was 7:00 AM, the lack of booze on offer seemed reasonable.

Last edited by jinglish; Jun 21, 2016 at 1:27 am Reason: goofed the airports and direction
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jinglish
We were offered coffee, tea, and OJ in addition to the Dasani bottles on SEA-DFW today. Given that departure time was 7:00 AM, the lack of booze on offer seemed reasonable.
I like my Coffee Irish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.