Wiki Posts
Search

Empty Middle Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Empty Middle Seat

I know this was suggested a couple of years ago, but was it ever implemented? I have been on a couple of flights lately as an MVP/G and with 1-2 empty seats in the plane one was next to me. Is the system smart enough now to fill up the middle seats next to elites last?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I know this was suggested a couple of years ago, but was it ever implemented? I have been on a couple of flights lately as an MVP/G and with 1-2 empty seats in the plane one was next to me. Is the system smart enough now to fill up the middle seats next to elites last?
I have had the same thing happen to me on my only two flights in Y in the past 6 months. Both times, I had an empty middle. And I have booked flights for two different sets of friends with no status (using a companion pass for them) and both times, they had the third seat in the row left vacant. One was last November (middle left open) and the other was just last week in row 6 where the window went out unoccupied. Both times, there were only 2 or 3 vacant seats on the plane. They all think I am some kind of a God for somehow making this happen for them. I did not disabuse them of the notion.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've seen this behavior with certain *A carriers. EF indicated the seat was blocked, although the website itself showed open when moving seats (not my res).

But AFAIK this isn't the case with AS.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
That would be far and away the next best thing to an upgrade IMO. Better than a free drink - free Digiplayer or movie - anything.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
I'm not sure if this is related, but was just booking and selecting seats and 16E has already been taken by itself... Is this a blocked seat, or just some weirdo?

Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXchris
I'm not sure if this is related, but was just booking and selecting seats and 16E has already been taken by itself... Is this a blocked seat, or just some weirdo?

probably the latter
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I will reserve 16B or 16E when I'm on a 737-700 because I like to use the A's tray table for my laptop.

Maybe this plane was a 73G in its previous life..
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PDXchris
]Is this a blocked seat, or just some weirdo?
Ahhhh haa I laughed out loud at this one. ^
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've seen this behavior with certain *A carriers. EF indicated the seat was blocked, although the website itself showed open when moving seats (not my res).

But AFAIK this isn't the case with AS.
I always figured it was an Air Marshal following me. I wouldnt be too shocked although that doesnt explain why i'm a trusted traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.