Wiki Posts
Search

Does Alaska Offer Special Meals

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Does Alaska Offer Special Meals

I have a paid 1st Class flight from Portland to Maui and back. For healthy reason I need a so called special meal, in this case a diabetic meal. I could not find a link to order the meal on the Alaska website. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
No special meals on AS I believe.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No special meals.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ial-meals.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...=special+meals
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...fore-trip.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...have-talk.html
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:50 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Its just not cost effective for them to offer special meals. It seems easy but for an airline that only flies domestic service it can be a logistical nightmare. For starters you have Kosher, Vegetarian, special diet etc...Then lets say you request the meal and then dont show up for the flight? People in F cancel at last minute or dont show up quite a bit. Then what are they to do with that special meal? and the person upgraded into F for that no show gets to eat what? I still think that AS could publish what the meal or meal options will be 14 to 30 days out so that you can at least plan accordingly whether or not you need to bring your own food. Or perhaps they could accept special meal requests but if you dont show up for the flight you are booked on, then you get charged $20 or $25 for the meal you never used?

Last edited by ANC; Apr 2, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And the meals to/from Hawaii tend to be very "sweet" - lots of fruit sauces, very sweet desserts.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
Its just not cost effective for them to offer special meals. It seems easy but for an airline that only flies domestic service it can be a logistical nightmare. For starters you have Kosher, Vegetarian, special diet etc...Then lets say you request the meal and then dont show up for the flight? People in F cancel at last minute or dont show up quite a bit. Then what are they to do with that special meal? and the person upgraded into F for that no show gets to eat what? I still think that AS could publish what the meal or meal options will be 14 to 30 days out so that you can at least plan accordingly whether or not you need to bring your own food. Or perhaps they could accept special meal requests but if you dont show up for the flight you are booked on, then you get charged $20 or $25 for the meal you never used?
This is a nonsensical response. The smaller the route network and the fewer the flights, the easier it is. Airlines that are many times the size of Alaska (Delta etc..) seem to be able to offer these meals. And in the case of the Delta they can increasingly make it happen on routes they fly in competition with AS.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Airlines that are many times the size of Alaska (Delta etc..) seem to be able to offer these meals.
I don't believe DL offers special meals on domestic flights.

I would love AS to take a page from AA and let you select your meal when you book the flight.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tusphotog

I would love AS to take a page from AA and let you select your meal when you book the flight.
That would be excellent, as they know the menu months in advance, and this way, they'll cater appropriately, and if you don't like the choices, you can plan accordingly.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

They do as well, easy process online but you can't choose specific food.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That would be excellent, as they know the menu months in advance, and this way, they'll cater appropriately, and if you don't like the choices, you can plan accordingly.
^ I don't understand why airlines won't publish their F meals online. Just put an * with a footnote saying "*Meal options aren't guaranteed" if that's an issue.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Apr 2, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I seem to recall it being mentioned that AS phone agents can see what is being served in first class 48-72 hours before the flight, but that some phone agents may not know where to look for this information.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I seem to recall it being mentioned that AS phone agents can see what is being served in first class 48-72 hours before the flight, but that some phone agents may not know where to look for this information.
This is published internally on AS' internal alaskaworld site. So employees can see it.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
In premium cabins on Delta, special meal is served on all flights that have a meal service. Is the usual list, Childs meal, Infant meal, Kosher, Diabetic, Hindu, Halal etc.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
In premium cabins on Delta, special meal is served on all flights that have a meal service. Is the usual list, Childs meal, Infant meal, Kosher, Diabetic, Hindu, Halal etc.
I ordered a premium meal on my K5 20 flight. Can't wait
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Do they serve wings?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Originally Posted by beckoa

Do they serve wings?
Maybe they'll have port as a digestif?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.