Wiki Posts
Search

AA to DL: We can play your game too...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
AA to DL: We can play your game too...

Looks like AA has added their code to a handful of ASflights - they used to have their code on just 2 JNU/SEA flights, now it appears to be on all of the nonstops. Didn't notice this until I got an email from AA yesterday notifying me of a schedule change. I was previously booked MIA-LAX-SEA-JNU with a 3 hour sit in SEA. I'm now routed via DFW with a 70 minute connection and now on the 640PM-ish nonstop.

American is normally VERY short in flight numbers, which is why they don't hand them out. I think that the fact AA is using VALUABLE flight numbers in the Alaska markets shows that there are more talks going on between AA and Alaska.

One of my fears has been that with the new DL/AS struggles, we (in Juneau) will lose some valuable and effective connections. One example is our 8PM JNU/SEA flight. Only DL puts their code on this flight, which offers easy connections to the SEA/XXX red-eyes since Alaska has nothing departing SEA that late except for GEG and PDX.

The AA code is NOW on that flight.

(current check of QuickTrip / Innovata shows that DL/AA only have their code on one flight a day per last week's filing.. this week's update should be hitting by Wednesday... aa.com is showing the 6A, 8A, 1PM, 3PM, and 8P as carrying their code now. I haven't done research to see if they also did this to the FAI/SEA and ANC/SEA flights).

Its VERY safe to say that American is now stepping up to take over as much of the AS/DL connecting business as they can.

Last edited by UAPremierExec; Mar 30, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reason: added detailed flight info
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:14 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
AA flight numbers have always confused me. They will use the same flight number on a round trip or they will use the same flight number to different cities on different days. For instance Ive seen the same flight numbers used from ORD-CWA, and ORD-Traverse city on the same day. It makes looking fight status up by flight number useless
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ANC
AA flight numbers have always confused me. They will use the same flight number on a round trip or they will use the same flight number to different cities on different days. For instance Ive seen the same flight numbers used from ORD-CWA, and ORD-Traverse city on the same day. It makes looking fight status up by flight number useless
I ran into a Delta round trip (turnaround) with the same number in both directions, which confused the hell outta me.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Airlines have been doing that for at least 2 years now as they are running out of 4 digit flight numbers.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Maybe it's just me but I'm a fan of AS getting closer to AA and helping show DL the door - even faster than they'd like. ^
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:23 pm

I agree. If Delta wants to charge AS elites to check luggage - dump 'em.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
It's good business by AA to get more passengers, and good business by AS to fill gaps that DL is leaving them with, and to show that they won't just be pushed around. If I were AS I'd look to codeshare and share benefits with UA now, too, unless AA wants to create an exclusive relationship
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I ran into a Delta round trip (turnaround) with the same number in both directions, which confused the hell outta me.
This sort of thing confuses DL agents too.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sort of thing confuses DL agents too.
Especially when a passenger is flying both segments of such a flight.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:35 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

IMO, AA's top two priorities at this point to ensure strong partnership with AS is to:

1. Remove any revenue fare bucket exclusions
2. Incorporate US flights for award redemption and mileage accural

I am ready to start giving AA my business [partly thanks to the Citi Prestige enhancements recently and their now solid presence at PIT], but I need them to sort out #2 first.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
IMO, AA's top two priorities at this point to ensure strong partnership with AS is to:

1. Remove any revenue fare bucket exclusions
2. Incorporate US flights for award redemption and mileage accural

I am ready to start giving AA my business [partly thanks to the Citi Prestige enhancements recently and their now solid presence at PIT], but I need them to sort out #2 first.
And I'm sure that AA is working feverishly to make this happen, but with all mergers, nothing happens overnight.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Actually, if AA were playing the same game as DL, they'd be introducing loads of SEA flights. That's the game DL is playing. AA is simply saying, "We're not proud, we'll pick up and enjoy your scraps."
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by 98103
Actually, if AA were playing the same game as DL, they'd be introducing loads of SEA flights. That's the game DL is playing. AA is simply saying, "We're not proud, we'll pick up and enjoy your scraps."
not scraps, just new partnership opportunities
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:27 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
so Im confused how airlines are out of 4 digit flight numbers?

You mean to tell me that 1-9999 are all used up for DL and AA?

They operate over 9900 flights a day between themselves and partners?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Continental ran out like 5 years ago. And yes, they really are using that many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.