Wiki Posts
Search

AS Inaugural Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Amtrak
AS Inaugural Flights

I recently booked a ticket on the MSY-SEA inaugural on 6/12. Really looking forward to this one. Has anyone had any previous experiences with AS inaugural flights? Is anything special usually planned at the gate or in-flight?Just curious. It'll feel good being back on AS.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:23 pm

I've done several - maybe 7 or 8. Nothing to get exited about, other than being on the first scheduled flight. Usually a little reception at the gate, maybe a knick-knack souvenir, but the onboard experience is usually pretty normal. Best one I ever did was with my then 6 year old son. The marketing director (Jacqui?) and first class flight attendant (Duane) made my son feel pretty special as the unofficial first Boston passenger when we arrived in Boston.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I like them. Hula shows for Hawaii ones- the Mayor of PHL was to give a speech when that commenced. Some kind of food offering. MSY should have beads at least I'd wager.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:11 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I like them. Hula shows for Hawaii ones- the Mayor of PHL was to give a speech when that commenced. Some kind of food offering. MSY should have beads at least I'd wager.
bowl of gumbo in F class?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by ANC

bowl of gumbo in F class?
At the gate!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:24 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

At the gate!
yeah true. The coach BOB option would be a good bowl of Gumbo. The F meal is probably a cheese and cracker(3 crackers) platter
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
yeah true. The coach BOB option would be a good bowl of Gumbo. The F meal is probably a cheese and cracker(3 crackers) platter
oh stop it. There will be a full meal in F.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Did SEA-SLC inaugural, Gate had balloon arch display, food, which was essentially a continental breakfast. On board with a bag at each seat with small amount of brochures on SLC, and some Salt water Taffy IIRC. I was hoping for a Firetruck salute in SLC, but that didn't happen.

Other than a super friendly crew, it felt the same as any other flight, just a new city on AS.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Given the EQMs in the SLC market, I'm considering a day trip SEA-SLC-xxx-SEA to catch one. But i see that for the most part, these flights in and out of SLC are designed to park in Utah for the night.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I did the KOA-ANC inaugural and heartily enjoyed the kona coffee buttercream cake with fresh coffee and juice in the outdoor waiting area. Everyone on the flight was in a great mood, especially Beckoa.

I've read that MSY puts together a small schwag bag for inaugurals including an MSY bag tag and beads, does water cannon salutes, has refreshments. I wouldn't be surprised to see a jazz band, tv crew, and the MSY board celebrating at the gate.

It'd be nice to enjoy louisiana fare on the flight too... ideally they'll cart pirogues of crawfish, gumbo, and red beans down the aisle, liberally dispense local lagers and cocktails. mmm... air bacchanal!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Dunkin Doughnuts, cake, live music and yours truely cutting the ribbon at the SAN-BOS inaugural. PDX-HNL inaugural had flight attendants wearing hula skirts and cake as well. PDX-ORD had cake, music and yours truely cutting the ribbon as well. If you are the highest level elite and/or have the mile miles on the inaugural flight you will most likely be invited to cut the ribbon too

A few photos for the SAN-BOS first flight which took place a year ago next week:

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 23, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Did they tell you ahead of time that you'd be taking part?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Did they tell you ahead of time that you'd be taking part?
Paged to the gate for one and tracked down in the boardroom for the other. Of course now that I'm refreshing my memory i believe it was PDX-ORD not PDX-HNL that was my other ribbon cutting. I've done 4 inaugurals so i cant keep track
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Paged to the gate for one and tracked down in the boardroom for the other. Of course now that I'm refreshing my memory i believe it was PDX-ORD not PDX-HNL that was my other ribbon cutting. I've done 4 inaugurals so i cant keep track
I've only done 2 er 3 (SEA-PHL and ANC-KOA-ANC)

Other FTer cut SEA-PHL, someone else ANC-KOA, and KOA-ANC I was late for the gate IIRC (spent too much shopping).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, AS Lifetime Gold (75K for this year), Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, OW Emerald
I would like to get on one someday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.