Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS has "responsibility to talk to others" if AS-DL relationship sours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:34 am
Formerly known as stellertony
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC

From Reuters:

The Seattle-based airline has come under increasing competition from codeshare partner Delta Airlines, which is expanding flights in Alaska's home turf of Seattle. That is driving Alaska to consider partnerships with other airlines, Tilden said. He declined to elaborate.

He said Alaska had strategies to allow it to succeed as an independent airline and that it intends to keep working with Delta. But if that doesn't work, he added "we have a responsibility to talk to others."
Who do you think he has in mind?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by stellertony
From Reuters:

Who do you think he has in mind?
Sidle up closer to AA. My opinion.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They seem to have an awful lot invested with Delta in terms of DL personnel performing GA duties from DL (sub-leased) gates at many airports. Is changing that around so easy?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
DL certainly seems to be pushing them away.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
They seem to have an awful lot invested with Delta in terms of DL personnel performing GA duties from DL (sub-leased) gates at many airports. Is changing that around so easy?
Delta already made that decision for them. They should be on all new ground contractors or in-house by 3/14.

http://wap.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/5888985
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Options are pretty limited there. Domestic airlines have been consolidated to the point that your choices are (to steal a South Park reference) the proverbial "Giant Douche" vs. the "Turd Sandwich".

They're already partnered with AA in some capacity - and given how stingy AA is, that's probably as good as that partnership will ever get. Southwest does its own thing. JetBlue seems like a natural fit given JB's strong East coast presence and AS's strong West coast, but how much does that really provide? Domestically, that leaves UA. As a former UA prisoner of hubdom, I can honestly say that provides absolutely zero value for me, as I find myself willing to pay up to double just so I don't have to ride UA metal anymore. Beyond that, UA doesn't really have a need for AS, unless they're willing to acknowledge they're being squeezed out of Seattle.

Joining the Star Alliance would be kind of cool, though. I'd love to have AS's partnerships extend to airlines like SAS, ANA, Lufthansa, and Singapore.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
were running out of airlines
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:13 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
well DL would still have to honor any ground contracts and AS could probably pull out of the contract if DL fails to provide a certain level of service. Airlines dont have to be partners for ground services. AFAIK its still done by UA in OGG
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:23 am
ANC

Originally Posted by CDKing
were running out of airlines
Thats what I said not to long ago we had 4 domestic partners. Through acquisitions we now have 2. AS may have to approach some of these other independants, not WN but perhaps an F9 in which there isnt a lot of overlap. Jetbule wouldnt be half bad either and they are starting to order a/c with F seats. Would UA even be in question?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
Thats what I said not to long ago we had 4 domestic partners. Through acquisitions we now have 2. AS may have to approach some of these other independants, not WN but perhaps an F9 in which there isnt a lot of overlap. Jetbule wouldnt be half bad either and they are starting to order a/c with F seats. Would UA even be in question?
F9 really isnt an option. Its being turned into a ULCC like Spirit.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:59 am
ANC

Originally Posted by CDKing
F9 really isnt an option. Its being turned into a ULCC like Spirit.
true true. It seems like Jetblue is starting to try to play on the legacy level with their introduction of some a/c with F starting this year to be used mainly on transcons
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: DL GM
Perhaps start a partnership with SY?

Also, DL will stop providing ground services for AS by March:
http://airchive.com/blog/2013/10/10/...aska-airlines/

From the article:

Alaska Airlines had been planning on transitioning out of these contracts to help lower costs, but it appears Delta Ground Services sped up the timeframe under which the shift to other providers will happen. Alaska Airlines will backfill these services with a mix of new ground handling vendors, plus in-sourcing with Alaska’s own employees.

Last edited by yaychemistry; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:16 am
ANC

Originally Posted by yaychemistry
Perhaps start a partnership with SY?
I think thats a great idea....er just buy them Id just like some AS metal to Central America and Carribean and a ANC/MSP non stop even if just seasonal

Anyhow I think a partnership could work and would help retain some connection routes in MSP if DL partnership ceased otherwise AS SEA-MSP routes could possibly have a decrease in loads without much in the way of connections there since most of the traffic AS has to MSP or ORD seems to be feeder for DL and AA respectively

AS could probably feed SY a fair amount of traffic into MSP and SY obviously needs some feed. Im waiting for the next step of the turf war...PDX-MSP?

Last edited by ANC; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:21 am
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Get closer to AA, make friends with Jet Blue. What else can Alaska do? UA already has a west coast presence, and they do plenty of business with Alaska without codeshare and FF agreements. I just hope AS keeps some of its partnerships with SkyTeam airlines if DL decides to cut the cord.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ill pass on Jetblue which is a revenue based program

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.