Search

QX cracking down on extra carry on...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:34 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

Is AS starting to as well? Yesterday I heard repeated announcements that if you had more than one carry on and a personal item to board QX you would be checking in a bag for a fee or consolidating it into 2. I figured sarcastically yeah I bet thats really enforced strictly. Well I was wrong, some guy 2 people in front of me had a back pack and a rollaboard with the smaller bag that can attach to the top of them. 3 bags, GA was addamant checkin one or stuff it in the larger bag. He then was removed from line and had to go deal with it. Id kind of like to see it on AS as well although they have created this monster by charging bag fees and most knew the end result would be more crap brought on board. In the end it is the FAA law as well. Read threads where UA is also cracking down. Perhaps an FAA memorandum/warnings went out
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'm guessing FAA inspector created a scare/fine. Isn't it a Federal regulation anyway to have only 2 items?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'm guessing FAA inspector created a scare/fine. Isn't it a Federal regulation anyway to have only 2 items?
It is - but I've had them do strict sizer enforcement prior to the bag going on ala cart even though they started giving grief for bags that go in any mainline bin lengthwise, but charging for them at the QX gate if they barely miss the sizer.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:33 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
IMO the 739ERs suck for stowage. Sure they are all fancy and pretty and smell nice but they will be all beat up in a year or two and we will still be left with crappy stowage bins that are smaller. Id almost expect to see the carry on size being allowed currently to shrink, some where close to the 732s old allowable size. Everytime Im on an ER they are asking for volunteers to check a bag for free at the gate due to less stowage
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ANC
IMO the 739ERs suck for stowage. Sure they are all fancy and pretty and smell nice but they will be all beat up in a year or two and we will still be left with crappy stowage bins that are smaller. Id almost expect to see the carry on size being allowed currently to shrink, some where close to the 732s old allowable size. Everytime Im on an ER they are asking for volunteers to check a bag for free at the gate due to less stowage
I believe they are already looking for a fix.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
UA is set to start cracking down as well

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2014-a.html

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm Reason: added link
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Isn't it a Federal regulation anyway to have only 2 items?
The FAA requires that each airline establish a carry-on baggage policy and enforce it. The FAA does not specify any details per se, but I suppose they might question a policy that was completely infeasible or could not be safely implemented.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

One actually exists? I had thought it was a bogeyman to scare passengers, like parents use when kids question their authority?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Bonvoy Titanium, NEXUS
There is a specific GA in PDX that runs the SEA shuttle who is brutally efficient with the policy. I had a small shopping bag looped over my wheel-aboard and she make a huge show of pulling me out of line and telling me that I would have to pay $75 and check one of my bags. I am Gold and said no way I'm paying a baggage fee but whatever. She made me put a different "gate checked" tag, which was supposed to indicate to the rampers that it was to be placed with the checked bag and delivered to baggage at the end of the flight. Somehow that special tag fell off before I got to the plane and it was Ala Carted.

Anyway, that GA has been there for several years and I certainly wouldn't challenge her again.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Not today they weren't. On my QX flight this afternoon, probably 2/3 of the female pax had one roller, one huge carry on and one beach bag sized 'personal item'. Not one comment from the GA. The woman beside me had her bag on my half of the footwell. Why? Because she had her legs crossed, of course, and it would have infringed on her foot space. Needless to say, it was gently nudged over pretty quick.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I was on a flight last week down to SAN from PDX and there was a guy in front of me who boarded with the extra assistance group who had five bags, including two roll aboards. I frowned at it In front of the FA who laughted with me, but did nothing about it. I swear the guy had everything but the kitchen sink with him. It was a classic Facebook photo but my wife wouldn't let me take one.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I was on a flight last week down to SAN from PDX and there was a guy in front of me who boarded with the extra assistance group who had five bags, including two roll aboards. I frowned at it In front of the FA who laughted with me, but did nothing about it. I swear the guy had everything but the kitchen sink with him. It was a classic Facebook photo but my wife wouldn't let me take one.
Maybe some of those items were exempt:

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
All items brought onboard count toward your carry-on limit except the following:

Coats, hats, umbrellas
A pillow for personal use
Food for immediate consumption
Reasonable amount of reading material
FAA approved child/infant restraint seats to be occupied by a child, strollers (based on space availability; space guaranteed only with the purchase of a ticket for the infant)
Service Animals, including properly documented emotional support animals
Mobility/Medical assistive devices such as wheelchairs, canes, crutches, continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines, approved portable oxygen concentrators (POC) etc.
Prescription medications and any medical devices needed to administer them (for example: syringes, auto- injections) as long as they comply with applicable safety, security, and hazardous materials rules.

Please note that to qualify as an exception to the carry-on limit, nothing other than medical devices or medication may be in the bag.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have seen some really brazen scoffers lately, one woman had a large rollaboard with strap on small case plus briefcase AND a large handbag. (On a 737). It bothers me when I see that but not enough to say anything.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by ctporter
I have seen some really brazen scoffers lately, one woman had a large rollaboard with strap on small case plus briefcase AND a large handbag. (On a 737). It bothers me when I see that but not enough to say anything.
There's a special place for them... LHR
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
One actually exists? I had thought it was a bogeyman to scare passengers, like parents use when kids question their authority?
I sure this comment was made with appropriate sarcasm. Yes, there are actual FAA inspectors and, yes, GA's can and have been personally fined for allowing passengers to violate FAA policy. And, no, the airline doesn't necessarily pick up the tab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.