Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KOA to GEG, which short layover?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, and the equivalents that I don't use.

I have a Dec 17th choice between KOA-PDX-GEG which has a 48 minute layover, or KOA-SEA-GEG which has a 57 minute layover. I would save $37 to go through PDX. It seems like both transfers are a bit tight for fighting headwinds all the way, should I buy myself some extra time or not worry about it?

Either transfer is the last flight to GEG of the night so if I missed it I'm spending the night.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Via SEA yields more miles and also a mainline flight SEA-GEG

If you have any upgrade instruments there is U class on KOA-PDX so that could be nice too...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
I wouldn't worry about the connection time -- it's a tailwind in this direction.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP

Take the mainline connection thru SEA.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Save your money, book through pdx.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Save your money, book through pdx.
$37 to have another hour or so in KOA (versus rushing to get to the airport for the noonish flight to PDX) and not have to wait for carryons in GEG (since you'll be able to walk right off the plane and not wait for ala carte)?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dgreen12
$37 to have another hour or so in KOA (versus rushing to get to the airport for the noonish flight to PDX) and not have to wait for carryons in GEG (since you'll be able to walk right off the plane and not wait for ala carte)?
I didn't know when the HNL flights left, and it wasn't mentioned by the OP. Guessing only they can decide if it's worth it in that respect. I was only commenting on their question on spending $37 for a slightly longer layover to increase the chances of making the connection. I don't think it's necessary. And, if something does go wrong with the pdx flight, apparently there might still be the option to get on the SEA flight and make it to GEG that day.

As for the Q400 vs 737, chances are if you are in the back of the 737 it's going to take longer to deplane than having to wait for ala carte bags. Plus if you have checked baggage, you'll have to wait for those anyways.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I am cheap so I would just save the $37. We are only talking a layover difference of 9 min. anyway. PDX is a lot easier airport to transfer.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:06 pm

I'd go through Seattle. Hard to trust Horizon these days. Most of their cancellations happen with last flights out. (assuming you'd be on the 11pm sea/geg flight)

Last edited by CommiseRate; Sep 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold, and the equivalents that I don't use.
dgreen12, I sent you a PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.