Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
For current information and discussion regarding one-way international partner awards, please see this thread.
Print Wikipost

AS to permit one-way international partner awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat LT, AK 75K, and the rest
Good luck using AS miles to Europe for even one-way. All 5 seats are gone 335 days before actual flight time. I've never had any luck with a rare exception of having to "upgrade" to Business on AF because that was all they had left (335 days before departure.....).

Better to use your AS miles on multiple Hawaii, Florida, Alaska and Mexico trips.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Andyman61
Good luck using AS miles to Europe for even one-way. All 5 seats are gone 335 days before actual flight time. I've never had any luck with a rare exception of having to "upgrade" to Business on AF because that was all they had left (335 days before departure.....).

Better to use your AS miles on multiple Hawaii, Florida, Alaska and Mexico trips.
There's plenty of Y seats to Europe... as long as you don't mind flying BA and paying enough YQ to pay for a coach flight on top of the miles.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA

FWIW I found a fair amount of availability from ORD to DUS on AA in July, and CDG-BOS in Aug.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:18 pm

Last year I booked a CDG-PDX roundtrip on AF/KL during the high season in coach. I also used AS miles to book a PDX-HAM roundtrip on KL/AF the year before. You have to be flexible about the gateway city you use (SFO for one trip, ORD for another), but it's entirely doable. I'm sure others here can report success as well. One-way international travel will make it easier still.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat LT, AK 75K, and the rest
Perhaps you are all correct. My cynicism is in full swing today. If you are flexible, you're right, you have better chances.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by tadc
Update... the agent (who had just completed his training) did confirm that it would be 1/2 miles for one-way and the starting date is supposed to be March 17th.
And March 17 rolls around...

maybe available via the call center, but not online yet
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:38 pm

I think there's a good chance of losing a couple of great values on Delta when one way awards become available:

90,000 Business Elite to Europe (100k on Delta)

105,000 Business Elite to Australia (150k on Delta)

I hope I'm wrong - I've redeemed several of these and it's pretty rare to be able to redeem at rates lower than the partner charges its own members.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I hope I'm wrong - I've redeemed several of these and it's pretty rare to be able to redeem at rates lower than the partner charges its own members.
It may be rare, but when you consider that SkyPesos are worth pennies on the dollar, it's not such a surprise. It's like saying that a Big Mac for 5 Euros and a Big Mac for USD$5 are equivalent--the EUR is worth more, so the Big Mac should cost less.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:58 pm

Looks like we have more waiting to do
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
But not much

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Looks like we have more waiting to do
I'd love to see an actual announcement but IT work to support one-way awards is scheduled for this week. March 17, no, but it doesn't look to be much longer.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SOCguy
I'd love to see an actual announcement but IT work to support one-way awards is scheduled for this week. March 17, no, but it doesn't look to be much longer.
Thanks for the tip.

And please stay around...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Flying AA to LHR in first in June. Wasn't my first choice with the higher fees into LHR but the wife wanted it so but the bullet.

Pleasant surprise on the return trip via JFK we will be on the new 777-300 for AA. They changed the departure time of our original flight to JFK to later and did not leave enough time for a legal connection in JFK. Schedule change worked out great IMO.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by baliktad
you might be successful avoiding the change fee.
Well I finally got around to doing this. I worked with a *very* kind/patient agent who was able to refund half my miles, change the ticket to a one-way booking and charged me $75 minus ~$7 in refunded fees.

IINM that's half the usual/former change fee?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tadc
Well I finally got around to doing this. I worked with a *very* kind/patient agent who was able to refund half my miles, change the ticket to a one-way booking and charged me $75 minus ~$7 in refunded fees.

IINM that's half the usual/former change fee?
Glad you were able to make the change! You're partially right about being given a discount. The normal change fee for AS tickets is $100 when made in person or by phone, or $75 when made online. So it sounds like you did get a bit of a break.

The (US domestic) industry standard change fee is $150, although UA and US have just increased theirs to $200 this week, and it probably won't be long before AA and DL match. Makes AS' $75 change fee look like a bargain in comparison.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
I'm sure I could just call the partner desk to find out if they have an answer to this but I thought I'd throw this out to the pros here first to see if anyone has any ideas...

I've noticed that at least for AA, on the AS site I could book a stopover in a non-gateway city for an international itinerary:

XXX-DFW-PDX stopover PDX-DFW-LHR

I created the itinerary by doing a multi-city search. The available flights and dates are extremely limited. That said, on any given day I can find availability in the XXX-PDX market and the PDX-LHR market but pairing them together cuts way down on the options. Does anyone know the logic in play here? Further, while the itineraries that appear on as.com are great because of the stopover that I want, they're not so great because the flight schedule on either side is not ideal. Do you all think I'd be able to book the stopover itinerary on the web and then call the partner desk to rebook each side to more ideal flights? Even if I had to pay a $200 change fee (this is for two passengers) it would be worth it to save 65,000 miles (it's an F award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.