Wiki Posts
Search

Perks w/ Paid Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
Question Perks w/ Paid Upgrade

Can't find a firm answer, so any help is appreciated.

If I do a paid upgrade, will I get the same F/class benefits extended to other F/class passengers, i.e. 2 free checked bags and a boardroom pass?

Thank you!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Once you upgrade, you are entitled to:
- 2 free checked bags
- priority security line access
- priority boarding
- a seat in F

As an upgrader, you are not entitled to:
- complimentary access to the BR
- Bonus "Class of Service" miles
- additional ticket flexibility (an upgrade to F does not make your ticket more flexible than it already was)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Also, if you've already paid for checked bags and are upgraded after the fact, you aren't entitled to a refund on bag fees.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baliktad
Once you upgrade, you are entitled to:
- 2 free checked bags
- priority security line access
- priority boarding
- a seat in F

As an upgrader, you are not entitled to:
- complimentary access to the BR
- Bonus "Class of Service" miles
- additional ticket flexibility (an upgrade to F does not make your ticket more flexible than it already was)
Maybe the best response I've had. Could not be any clearer. Thank you!

Last edited by airplanegeek; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reason: added quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Maybe offline, but this is what I want to do on my biz trip. Has anyone done this and/or is it possible?

I will be checking 1 bag - $20 (if I stay in coach)
I want to upgrade - $50
I can expense the bag fee, but not the upgrade.
Can I get a $20 bag fee receipt from an agent, thus making my personal expense just $30?

Thank you, again.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
You can choose to upgrade before or after you pay your bag fee. But the fee to upgrade will always be $50, for which you will always be issued a $50 upgrade receipt. There is no way to apply a paid baggage fee as a credit towards an upgrade.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SPG, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by airplanegeek
Maybe offline, but this is what I want to do on my biz trip. Has anyone done this and/or is it possible?

I will be checking 1 bag - $20 (if I stay in coach)
I want to upgrade - $50
I can expense the bag fee, but not the upgrade.
Can I get a $20 bag fee receipt from an agent, thus making my personal expense just $30?

Thank you, again.
I think what you're saying is... check the bag, pay $20. Upgrade for $50. Get refunded the $20 by Alaska. Expense the $20 using the original receipt.

Net out-of-pocket: $30.

Correct?

By Chugach's response it sounds like they won't issue a refund... but I suppose it's worth a shot. At the worst you'll be sitting where you are right now.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Based on replies, I apologize for not being transparent the first time.

If my company covers $20 bag fee, and the upgrade fee eliminates bag fee, I'm clearing trying to finagle my way into something likely not possible. Was hoping I could get a dummy receipt or something at the counter.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:02 pm

Based on replies, I apologize for not being transparent the first time.

If my company covers $20 bag fee, and the upgrade fee eliminates bag fee, I'm clearing trying to finagle my way into something likely not possible. Was hoping I could get a dummy receipt or something at the counter.
What's your route? On many routes it's a moot point since offering paid upgrades is so rare. But, if it is offered, could you submit the $50 receipt and explain to whoever approves your expenses that it was in lieu of the $20 baggage fee and claim the $20?

Note, you also have to be on a qualifying fare to do the paid upgrade before the gate. If you're on a lower fare basis you can only pay for the upgrade at the gate, after you've already paid the baggage fee.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just make a receipt up. Or carry on your bag.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
That has been the change. Every public fare pax including the award ticket is eligible for paid upgrades at the time on checkin- online or at kiosk.

"The link to upgrade to First Class during Web Check-In will only appear if First Class seats are still available for purchase.Fare categories are booked in Y, YAS, S, B, M, H Q, L, V, K, G, T, and W classes of service."

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Note, you also have to be on a qualifying fare to do the paid upgrade before the gate. If you're on a lower fare basis you can only pay for the upgrade at the gate, after you've already paid the baggage fee.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnp012001
What's your route? On many routes it's a moot point since offering paid upgrades is so rare. But, if it is offered, could you submit the $50 receipt and explain to whoever approves your expenses that it was in lieu of the $20 baggage fee and claim the $20?

SEA-LAS, F seats still available, and I have an applicable fare. I might just go the route of asking for reimbursement w/out a receipt for the $20 bag fee.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just make a receipt up. Or carry on your bag.
And by bag, I mean golf clubs.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by jimmychang
That has been the change. Every public fare pax including the award ticket is eligible for paid upgrades at the time on checkin- online or at kiosk.

"The link to upgrade to First Class during Web Check-In will only appear if First Class seats are still available for purchase.Fare categories are booked in Y, YAS, S, B, M, H Q, L, V, K, G, T, and W classes of service."
Are you saying that in the upcoming change all fare classes, including awards, are eligible for paid upgrade to first class? Also do you mean if "U" inventory, not F inventory, is available then the paid upgrade offer will appear?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Are you saying that in the upcoming change all fare classes, including awards, are eligible for paid upgrade to first class? Also do you mean if "U" inventory, not F inventory, is available then the paid upgrade offer will appear?
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...sUpgrades#paid
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:07 pm

Thanks, I'll assume that U inventory is what those who wants to upgrade at OLCI will need in order to buy the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.