Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
It's not clear where you will be on the waitlist if there is not U space available when you SDC, but I would expect that you would be below all other elites of the same or higher tier, and above all other elites of a lower tier.
Based on the way we now understand the upgrade waitlist to work*, I would expect you to be below every single person who booked the flight before you SDCed to it, including all lower elites, unless you happen to be 75K, in which case you remain above all MVPGs and MVPs (as 75Ks are on a separate, higher-priority waitlist).

*that is, how AS has managed to jerry-rig SABRE, which was never designed to deal with such things, to handle upgrade waitlisting...which leads to the process not working as equitably as you'd expect it to
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:02 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
Based on the way we now understand the upgrade waitlist to work*, I would expect you to be below every single person who booked the flight before you SDCed to it, including all lower elites, unless you happen to be 75K, in which case you remain above all MVPGs and MVPs (as 75Ks are on a separate, higher-priority waitlist).

*that is, how AS has managed to jerry-rig SABRE, which was never designed to deal with such things, to handle upgrade waitlisting...which leads to the process not working as equitably as you'd expect it to
That would have been my understanding too, but the last time I did this as a Gold I did show up on the airport waitlist above everyone else (presumably MVP's). So I do think there is a little extra logic for the airport waitlist to sort by status first, and then time added to waitlist.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would have been my understanding too, but the last time I did this as a Gold I did show up on the airport waitlist above everyone else (presumably MVP's). So I do think there is a little extra logic for the airport waitlist to sort by status first, and then time added to waitlist.
I think you're half-right. I seem to recall AS acknowledging that the airport waitlist would display priority by status, but I also seem to recall that the airport agents would no longer be working off of the airport list but rather the original (invisible) complimentary upgrade list, on which an MVPG booking (or SDCing) at the last minute would be behind everyone else. This means that upgrades don't necessarily happen in the order shown on the screens. :\

(I could be misremembering, but I'm fairly sure I'm recalling something along these lines.)
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still unclear as well as to whether SDC'ing will in effect put an MVPG below all other elites - including partner elites - at the very bottom of the list.

It makes no sense that AS would prioritise a DL Silver member over one of their own MVPG's, but I know there has been much discussion about this already up-thread, and from what I can glean, as sad as it it is, it seems to be the case if you SDC?

Airport list is apparently incorrect as the GA's go off the "invisible list" that would be ordered based on time added to upgrade waitlist, thereby putting any MVP or MVPG making same day booking or same day changes to the bottom...

And what about using the app - is that upgrade list ordered correctly, or is that also incorrect like the airport lists?

I'm surprised AS doesn't think this any of this is worthy of an IT investment? I know that Sabre is clunky, but if DL can get it figured out with the Delta-crapit system...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SamuelS
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still unclear as well as to whether SDC'ing will in effect put an MVPG below all other elites - including partner elites - at the very bottom of the list.

It makes no sense that AS would prioritise a DL Silver member over one of their own MVPG's, but I know there has been much discussion about this already up-thread, and from what I can glean, as sad as it it is, it seems to be the case if you SDC?

Airport list is apparently incorrect as the GA's go off the "invisible list" that would be ordered based on time added to upgrade waitlist, thereby putting any MVP or MVPG making same day booking or same day changes to the bottom...

And what about using the app - is that upgrade list ordered correctly, or is that also incorrect like the airport lists?

I'm surprised AS doesn't think this any of this is worthy of an IT investment? I know that Sabre is clunky, but if DL can get it figured out with the Delta-crapit system...
Unless you SDC to a flight with available U space, you should not count on sitting up front. I value the ability to switch flights if I really must get there earlier or leave later, but part of that flexibility is giving up your place in line for an upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Unless you SDC to a flight with available U space, you should not count on sitting up front. I value the ability to switch flights if I really must get there earlier or leave later, but part of that flexibility is giving up your place in line for an upgrade.
When I SDC I call. Easier to immediately get upgraded if there is space available (as happened recently LAS-SEA; I'd been in U space on my original flight and there was space in First on the earlier flight).

Yes, it requires talking to an actual human synchronously. But it works.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
When I SDC I call. Easier to immediately get upgraded if there is space available (as happened recently LAS-SEA; I'd been in U space on my original flight and there was space in First on the earlier flight).

Yes, it requires talking to an actual human synchronously. But it works.
If there is U space on the new flight, you can upgrade yourself during OLCI just by clicking the "Request First Class Upgrade" button - no human involvement necessary.
If there isn't U space on the new flight, you're not eligible for a first class seat and can only go on the waitlist. I don't know if you get added or not, but human involvement here may or may not help you, depending on how AS handles SDC online and how much faith you have in phone agents to do the right thing.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
If there is U space on the new flight, you can upgrade yourself during OLCI just by clicking the "Request First Class Upgrade" button - no human involvement necessary.
If there isn't U space on the new flight, you're not eligible for a first class seat and can only go on the waitlist. I don't know if you get added or not, but human involvement here may or may not help you, depending on how AS handles SDC online and how much faith you have in phone agents to do the right thing.
I just get so nostalgic for human contact at the airlines, though. So sometimes I'll just call.

(Had a great experience using the new Partner Awards interface to book award travel next year, though, so tech does have its place. ^)
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:33 am

I think your recollection is from the first post of this thread. Maybe missydarlin can chime in and let us know if this has been fixed four years later, and what list the mobile app is using.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnp012001
I think your recollection is from the first post of this thread. Maybe missydarlin can chime in and let us know if this has been fixed four years later, and what list the mobile app is using.
Ah, you're right. Relevant excerpt:

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Now, the original waitlist runs automatically until 1 hour prior to departure, and the airport agents are also clearing upgrades manually from this same waitlist.

However … big screens at the airport still display the airport waitlist ..which is automatically re-ordered by tier, and doesn’t currently reflect the actual order that upgrades are supposed to clear.

Please note that the upgrades ARE clearing in the correct order… the issue is with how the order is being displayed at the airport.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
Talking

Originally Posted by missydarlin
However … big screens at the airport still display the airport waitlist ..which is automatically re-ordered by tier, and doesn’t currently reflect the actual order that upgrades are supposed to clear.

Please note that the upgrades ARE clearing in the correct order… the issue is with how the order is being displayed at the airport.
This is still the behavior. I was #17 on a recent U board and I was the first one to clear. Makes me feel much better when I'm looking at the SEA-DCA U board and see I'm like #34 as long as they are clearing in the correct order. Nevermind the fact I still haven't gotten a T-1 U on SEA-DCA

Cheers,
Kermee
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
After reading this thread and the DL thread, I'm a bit confused. Newly minted DL GM who has upcoming AS travel. AS website today updated to confirm I'm a DL elite, and offered me exit row seating. But doesn't show "Upgrade Waitlisted" anywhere. Agent said I shouldn't see this until 24h before departure (flight is on 9/22). Is this correct or am I not currently on the waitlist at all?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:45 pm

This is interesting. I'm about to board AS 315 SFO-SEA and there's currently one seat available in FC. This is the first time I've flown AS in quite some time where I haven't been upgraded when there was FC available. I watched myself crawl down the list (I think I'm currently fifth, and one person has been upgraded) as others checked in (I checked in at T-24), so I'm presuming that list isn't taking into consideration whether they're 75K or not, and is what's mentioned in the post at the top of this thread as far as the "airport" list goes. Presumably, if someone else gets the upgrade ahead of me, it means that they purchased their ticket before me and are a 75K, correct?

I'm good either way, just found it to be a different experience than I've been used to in 2013/2012. Gate agent didn't really have a firm answer one way or another on things, simply that I was on the list and that there was at least one seat available in FC that hadn't been assigned. Is it just that it hasn't been let go into U?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K / SPG Plat (100 Nights) / NEXUS
Originally Posted by tombiro
Gate agent didn't really have a firm answer one way or another on things, simply that I was on the list and that there was at least one seat available in FC that hadn't been assigned. Is it just that it hasn't been let go into U?
I've seen this happen before. It'll probably get released in between T-40m to T-30m. It's probably someone who received a FC UG but wasn't assigned a seat (that's happened to me many times before), and you can't pick your seat with OLCI and told to check-in with an airport agent. So that seat-assignment is probably being held open for that person who hasn't checked-in yet. If that person doesn't check-in within 30-40 minutes of the scheduled departure, it'll open up.

Least that's what I think is going on... We'll find out shortly.

Cheers,
Kermee

P.S. I see the FC UG board list shows 54. Never seen that many on an SFO-SEA leg before on a Friday flight. I was on AS331 SFO-SEA earlier today.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Two MVPs on the same reservation (using companion certificate), will still never be on the upgrade list, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.