Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by jhurwitz
Any updated data points?
I'm also wondering whether a status change after making a prior flight reservation requires removing/re-adding our MP #'s for the system to "see" the higher status.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by trek87
I'm also wondering whether a status change after making a prior flight reservation requires removing/re-adding our MP #'s for the system to "see" the higher status.
It is an automated process that sweeps during the week. Tinkering with the MP # has no affect.

🤙🏻
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not my experience. Takes 2-3 days to populate existing reservations.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Smile

Originally Posted by anteater
It is an automated process that sweeps during the week. Tinkering with the MP # has no affect.

🤙🏻
Originally Posted by dayone
Not my experience. Takes 2-3 days to populate existing reservations.
That's good news - thanks for the data points!
anteater likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If I'm able to move to PC but don't get a FC upgrade before check-in, I see myself on the waitlist as 'Premium Class' assigned. But does this mean I'm still on the waitlist for FC?
Yes. They are separate waitlists.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Unless this is another article that is old news, TPG is reporting new changes to the waitlist/upgrades.

From what I've gathered,
1) All pax will show up on the waitlist, even if not checked in, so there may no longer be a need to check in right at T-24
2) Companions will show up alongside the elite member
3) Fare classes will continue to factor into the waitlist into the elite windows, so elite pax who purchase their tickets inside the window won't necessarily be placed below all other elites in their level.

With this and the 100K rollout, AS IT will need to really be on top of their game
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by HeyItsMK;[url=tel:33900132
33900132]Unless this is another article that is old news, TPG is reporting new changes to the waitlist/upgrades.

From what I've gathered,
1) All pax will show up on the waitlist, even if not checked in, so there may no longer be a need to check in right at T-24
2) Companions will show up alongside the elite member
3) Fare classes will continue to factor into the waitlist into the elite windows, so elite pax who purchase their tickets inside the window won't necessarily be placed below all other elites in their level.

With this and the 100K rollout, AS IT will need to really be on top of their game
I don’t know if this section was accurate:

Previously, members were prioritized on the day-of-departure waitlist by tier and check-in time — without factoring in the fare class.
I definitely have been ranked above 75Ks with respect to fare class on last minute tickets. The T-24 waitlist was also an iterative: Elite Status, Fare Class, Time of Booking. I think Flying for Fun may be more of an expert on this.

That article doesn’t seem completely right, but I hope the proposed changes do occur.

Last edited by anteater; Jan 13, 2022 at 7:41 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska...tlist-changes/
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anteater
I don’t know if this section was accurate:

I definitely have been ranked above 75Ks with respect to fare class on last minute tickets.

The T-24 waitlist was also an iterative: Elite Status, Fare Class, Time of Booking.

That article doesn’t seem completely right, but I hope the proposed changes do occur.
It seems weird as I have definitely had companions show on the list next to me in the past.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
What if the companion is also an elite?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Alaska’s upgrade waitlist now lists all passengers standing by for a first-class seat, regardless of whether they’re checked in."

I think this was in effect on my flights this week. On one flight, I saw that I was second on the waitlist before I checked in and, oddly, moved to first after I checked in. I got the only upgrade on that flight.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Additional Criteria to Upgrade Waitlist

Congratulations to the Million Milers, as they have added this to the Upgrade Waitlist Criteria after Elite Tier and Fare Class

https://news.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...atus-benefits/
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
(Is it just me, or does this thread need a Wiki?)

Ok, so there's a major difference between the upgrade "request queue" and the actual upgrade waitlist

* I assume that 100ks are always ahead of 75ks on the request queue -- but if a 75k is on the waitlist with an eligible fare inside their window and a 100k is subsequently added to the waitlist, who is first?
(i.e. will a 75k who bought an M fare for August travel yesterday be ahead of a 100k who buys any fare on that same flight today?)

* Does reissuing the return segment "reset" one's upgrade waitlist position on an untouched outbound segment?
(i.e. Should you really always be buying one ways, even as a 100k?)
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
* I assume that 100ks are always ahead of 75ks on the request queue -- but if a 75k is on the waitlist with an eligible fare inside their window and a 100k is subsequently added to the waitlist, who is first?
(i.e. will a 75k who bought an M fare for August travel yesterday be ahead of a 100k who buys any fare on that same flight today?)

Whether or not within T-120, that 100K should always be ahead of the 75K. That being said, there is the ability to bypass the waitlist entirely which I have mentioned before. If the UG processor has not yet run, one can simply purchase a qualifying fare and immediately be upgraded rather than the waitlist be processed in order.

* Does reissuing the return segment "reset" one's upgrade waitlist position on an untouched outbound segment?
Not 100% sure as previously reported, but if they state they are re-issuing the ticket then yes; I would have to ping AS. However, I have moved to booking OW only fares because IMO AS generally dislikes modifying future segments unless the prior segments have been executed.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks anteater. I'm curious to see if flyingforfun, missy and others agree with you on those two points

Totally understand that waitlist jumping is possible when U is open but the processor has not yet run.

I believe AS also sells upgrades to F during OLCI when U is open, leading to even more potential jumping (!!)

But I'm more interested in understanding how things work when U doesn't come open. Are there cases in which 100ks buying or reissuing close to departure time are not expected to be ahead of all others on the day of departure upgrade waitlist??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.