Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by johnp012001
Shouldn't be. Were to traveling alone on your reservation?
I wasn't (was with DL Silver), which I now realize is important. But the GA still said that complimentary upgrades were processed after upgrades were sold.

The upgrade is no big deal, I just want to know what the policy is for DL elites. I'll be sure to split the PNR next time before flying.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by cmx
I wasn't (was with DL Silver), which I now realize is important. But the GA still said that complimentary upgrades were processed after upgrades were sold.

The upgrade is no big deal, I just want to know what the policy is for DL elites. I'll be sure to split the PNR next time before flying.
As an MVP I've had similar situation. Day of travel, 2 seats available, I wanted my complimentary upgrade, and pay for the other. No go, they wanted me to pay for both. Oh well, they got someone else to pay for both of them!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
Although this has been discussed, I'm still confused.

If I buy AS code share flights on Delat airlines (ticket issued from DL but flight is on AS) how do I get the AS record locator number?

Am I automatically on the upgrade list?
When I've purchased an AS flight through DL (usually one leg of a longer itinerary), I've always called AS with the flight info, asked them for the locator number, and they've manually put me on the AS upgrade list. Then it shows up on AS site with the indication that I'm on the first class waitlist for the AS segment.

Watch this like a hawk, though. At least once I've had to call them and manually process the upgrade when U space became available but I wasn't upgraded in the 72-hour Gold window. I don't know if that's an artifact of the manual process, or just a one-time glitch.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
When I've purchased an AS flight through DL (usually one leg of a longer itinerary), I've always called AS with the flight info, asked them for the locator number, and they've manually put me on the AS upgrade list. Then it shows up on AS site with the indication that I'm on the first class waitlist for the AS segment.

Watch this like a hawk, though. At least once I've had to call them and manually process the upgrade when U space became available but I wasn't upgraded in the 72-hour Gold window. I don't know if that's an artifact of the manual process, or just a one-time glitch.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. The last couple times I called about this the agents didn't seem to understand. I think I'll call tomorrow during the day.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Awesome. Thanks for the info. The last couple times I called about this the agents didn't seem to understand. I think I'll call tomorrow during the day.

Thanks again.
Update: A couple weeks ago I made a few reservations on delta.com with SEA/ATL and ATL/SEA segments operated by AS. I called AS gold line. After some confusio the agent the agent said that I was on the upgrade list.

Yesterday I ran into a AS CS Rep friend at SeaTac who looked up my AS conformation number for my DL flights operated by AS. I entered the conformation number into my trips on Alaskair.com. I found that I was Waitlist confirmed for all the AS operated flights except for the one I called customer service about. It appears that the agent broke something that now does not put me on the list.

The moral of my story: do not call anyone, do not let anyone edit your reservation and automatically you'll be on the AS upgrade Waitlist.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The moral of my story: do not call anyone, do not let anyone edit your reservation and automatically you'll be on the AS upgrade Waitlist.
Actually, the moral of the story is to get your AS confirmation number and check it on the AS website right after you get your ticket issued by DL.

I've always had to call AS to get on the upgrade list when I purchase a ticket from DL that has some AS metal segments. But I wouldn't make the assumption either way without checking.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:37 pm

Actually, the moral of the story is to get your AS confirmation number and check it on the AS website right after you get your ticket issued by DL.

I've always had to call AS to get on the upgrade list when I purchase a ticket from DL that has some AS metal segments. But I wouldn't make the assumption either way without checking.
Noted.... we need DL to give AS conformation number.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Noted.... we need DL to give AS conformation number.
I've had better luck calling AS to get the conf code- just need date and flt # plus name. It seems it does take DL a bit of time to ticket sometimes...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
I might need a basic description of how these complimentary upgrades work..like real basic..

1. buy ticket
2. wait til 72 hrs before flights..get your name on upgrade list(for mvpg)
3. Hope that your name gets picked off of the upgrade/waiting list
4. somehow get notified/emailed that you have been upgraded..

total newb to airline status in general...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bitachu
I might need a basic description of how these complimentary upgrades work..like real basic..

1. buy ticket
2. wait til 72 hrs before flights..get your name on upgrade list(for mvpg)
3. Hope that your name gets picked off of the upgrade/waiting list
4. somehow get notified/emailed that you have been upgraded..

total newb to airline status in general...
That's basically it. The process is almost all automatic, though, you don't really need to do anything other than make sure your Mileage Plan number is in your reservation. Basically:

1) Buy your ticket, make sure your MP number is in the Frequent Flyer number field.
2) If you buy an expensive fare, you're eligible to upgraded right away if there's space, or waitlisted right away if there's not.
3) If you buy a cheap fare, you're not eligible to be upgraded until 72 hours prior to the flight at the earliest. If there's space then, you'll be upgraded; if not, you'll be waitlisted.

In all cases, you don't need to do anything, and you can always check your status simply by viewing your reservation online. If you haven't been upgraded when you check in, don't worry, you'll stay on the waitlist until the flight departs. When you get to the airport, you can ask any ticket agent whether you've been upgraded or what your position is on the waitlist. They'll also show this information at the gate starting about an hour prior to takeoff.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by baliktad
That's basically it. The process is almost all automatic, though, you don't really need to do anything other than make sure your Mileage Plan number is in your reservation. Basically:

1) Buy your ticket, make sure your MP number is in the Frequent Flyer number field.
2) If you buy an expensive fare, you're eligible to upgraded right away if there's space, or waitlisted right away if there's not.
3) If you buy a cheap fare, you're not eligible to be upgraded until 72 hours prior to the flight at the earliest. If there's space then, you'll be upgraded; if not, you'll be waitlisted.

In all cases, you don't need to do anything, and you can always check your status simply by viewing your reservation online. If you haven't been upgraded when you check in, don't worry, you'll stay on the waitlist until the flight departs. When you get to the airport, you can ask any ticket agent whether you've been upgraded or what your position is on the waitlist. They'll also show this information at the gate starting about an hour prior to takeoff.
thanks for the response..

so this process works on any flights..any limitations on hawaii flights for this complimentary upgrades?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bitachu
Originally Posted by baliktad

thanks for the response..

so this process works on any flights..any limitations on hawaii flights for this complimentary upgrades?
Only limitation is if F sells out...
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa

Woah... I always thought Hawaii flights did not get upgrades - similar to Delta classifying Hawaii as "international". I assume that's a hard route to get upgrades on?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by lastquestion
Originally Posted by beckoa

Woah... I always thought Hawaii flights did not get upgrades - similar to Delta classifying Hawaii as "international". I assume that's a hard route to get upgrades on?
Ex-SEA or ANC yes.

Ex-SJC, OAK, SAN...much easier.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by johnp012001
As an MVP I've had similar situation. Day of travel, 2 seats available, I wanted my complimentary upgrade, and pay for the other. No go, they wanted me to pay for both. Oh well, they got someone else to pay for both of them!
IMO this is a major benefit reduction. As an MVP it would appear you are entitled to your free upgrade if space is available <48 hours. I understand the requirement that both people on a record must fly in the same cabin, but you should not be punished for flying on a companion ticket or for not splitting your reservation record or not booking separate rez. If you are willing to buy the upgrade with miles or cash then AS should make good on its promise to prioritize and provide complimentary MVP upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.