Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS frequent flyer miles to Australia/NZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
I cannot echo this enough. It takes a special kind of patience to book a premium cabin QF award ex-USA. I routinely search for QF premium cabin awards LAX-SYD. The usual results, when I specify complete schedule flexibility to fly ANYTIME in the next year:
LAX-BNE-SYD in J: "best" availability. Usually around 10-12 total days available with 1 seat each, mostly at ~11 months out.
LAX-SYD in J: next best. Usually around 5 or 6 total days available, 1 seat each, mostly at ~11.5 months out.

Anything ex-LAX in F: joke availability. I've never had an agent find availability, and I have never even encountered an agent that has ever booked a QF F award. Some claim that they have heard it has been done, but it's the stuff of folklore.
I have largely given up on QF premium cabin awards. If you want reasonable availability, CX J through HKG would be my next choice, but as pointed out above, you'd have to book the intra-AUS/NZ flights separately.
I have personally booked pairs of first class tickets on Qantas from LAX-SYD-LAX and LAX-MEL-LAX. It is not impossible. In both cases, I secured them on the day they were loaded. These were both done in the past year.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by flytoeat
I have personally booked pairs of first class tickets on Qantas from LAX-SYD-LAX and LAX-MEL-LAX. It is not impossible. In both cases, I secured them on the day they were loaded. These were both done in the past year.
What was your source of miles? AS, AA/oneworld partner, or QF?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Has the OP looked into booking on EK?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
It's been a few years but we booked QF Business Class LAX to AUK and a return via SYD back in early 2009. I had made several futile phone calls until I got lucky one Sunday evening and caught a CS agent who was able to book the outbound for us and than advised us to call back routinely until we got our return trip tied down. It only took about two phone calls to complete the trip. It was well worth the time as it was a fabulous vacation and one of the best uses of Alaska FF miles ever.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What was your source of miles? AS, AA/oneworld partner, or QF?
Alaska - almost impossible to get them on AA due to Sabre's 330 day limitation.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Your trip is October 2014? Then you're about 6 months to early to start looking.
Not October -- February-March.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Just to sort of close the loop. We ended up with an 'Australia only' option. We had the miles and really wanted, this time, to sample Cathay 1st class.

We got outbound LAX/HKG/Brisbane, and then return Sydney/HKG/LAX.

I'd note that search tools and availability have seemed to improve -- we could have done a RT to Sydney from LAX using 105K miles instead of 160K miles for Cathay Pacific with Delta. It might be in future we'd consider that option -- as I understand that Delta has just about completed its migration from lie 'nearly' flat to full flat beds for the long haul flights. Delta is now readily searchable on the Alaska site for this.

I realize the most direct options would have been Delta, Qantas, Fiji, and that the more indirect flight options are Cathay and Korean. Further, Delta is just about the only option you can check directly from the Alaska site.

That being said, I know from reports that Cathay 1st class (especially the LAX/HKG leg) is something special so we're willing to experience that.

Also, from experience (16 months ago) on Air Pacific (now Fiji) I really wanted to avoid them -- even though they are replacing their aging 747-400's for the LAX/Nadi leg with new and seemingly well appointed A330-300's - with actual lie flat seats), their customer service and customer awareness has been (and from other reports remains) well below standard. We might place them back in the mix in a couple of years should their customer service become acceptable from reports of others -- especially since with them we'd be able to include NZ more easily.

Oh, and a note to Jpat -- Qantas killed off the direct LAX/NZ flights over a year ago. One could in theory use them routing from LAX to Sydney or Melbourne and on to NZ.

At the moment, no Alaska Partner flies direct to NZ. With Korean, you can get there from Seoul (but only using business class and Alaska doesn't have arrangements for first class). With Cathay, you can get there from Hong Kong (but it seems that they don't open frequent flier access for the HKG/Auckland leg) -- also, the flights from Hong Kong to either Australia or NZ are Business class (though an excellent business class from what I've been told). The only other relatively direct route would be Fiji via Nadi -- with the additional plus for them being the option to arrive in either Auckland or Christchurch.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

One thing we considered after the Australia only flights with Cathay was to arrange air from Sydney to NZ and back. We decided to simply focus on Australia for this trip (since we'd been to NZ back in 2011). Focusing on Australia for the entire vacation reduces 'pack/repack' efforts as well and means we can even include 'rest days' in our vacation.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, American
Thanks the feedback. I realize we are way to early, which is why we are planning and trying to understand options.

We had planned to use 270k Marriott Reward Points for a travel package, which would equate to 120k miles and a 5 night stay in a Marriott hotel. Including these miles and our current AS miles we would have 220k AS miles for 2 business class seats on Qantas. However, it sounds like we wouldn't be able to get 2 round trip business class seats from LAX to Sydney. I spoke with an AS rep and it sounds like one can get coach seats pretty easily. We plan to pay for the Australia to NZ flight.

I will look into BA as well.

What does QX stand for? Being new here I am not familiar with the acronyms.

Thanks again
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mjm1
Thanks the feedback. I realize we are way to early, which is why we are planning and trying to understand options.

We had planned to use 270k Marriott Reward Points for a travel package, which would equate to 120k miles and a 5 night stay in a Marriott hotel. Including these miles and our current AS miles we would have 220k AS miles for 2 business class seats on Qantas. However, it sounds like we wouldn't be able to get 2 round trip business class seats from LAX to Sydney. I spoke with an AS rep and it sounds like one can get coach seats pretty easily. We plan to pay for the Australia to NZ flight.

I will look into BA as well.

What does QX stand for? Being new here I am not familiar with the acronyms.

Thanks again
QX=Horizon, which is Alaska's regional turboprop airline subsidiary.
QF=Qantas.

While we don't have an AS-specific glossary (yet), the general FlyerTalk glossary can sometimes help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php Also, we use two-letter IATA abbreviations for airlines and three-letter IATA abbreviations for airports. In general, Googling "XX airline code" or "XYZ airport code" will turn up what you're looking for, too.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 13, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:46 pm

I strongly encourage you to consider Emirates (EK) as an option. Yes, you'd fly through Dubai (DXB), but Emirates ROCKS and they may (or may not) have availability (we'll see how that goes).

As far as getting to your point of departure from the USA, many partner awards allow you to book a certain number of AS flights in the USA to get to the partner's gateway. Furthermore, these seats are automatically first class on AS, if the seats are available and the partner award is a business or first class award.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:40 am

"AS partner awards can either have one stopover OR an open-jaw. Not both."

guess i lucked out as last year i did this with an AS award in iceland air.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by northtoalaska
"AS partner awards can either have one stopover OR an open-jaw. Not both."

guess i lucked out as last year i did this with an AS award in iceland air.
FI allows a stopover in KEF on PURCHASED tickets. They need the money.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
As someone who has flown first on CX and first on DL from LAX-SYD on the 777-200LR I couldn't imagine not taking the DL flight if available.

The plane on this route is lie flat and although nowhere near CX service (I found it to be just fine but am not very picky) the direct route and time saved is well worth the it.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by apodo77
As someone who has flown first on CX and first on DL from LAX-SYD on the 777-200LR I couldn't imagine not taking the DL flight if available.

The plane on this route is lie flat and although nowhere near CX service (I found it to be just fine but am not very picky) the direct route and time saved is well worth the it.
Maybe if you actually need to get to Australia for business. But for some of us, the journey is part of the destination.

I'm sure it's fine if you view the flight as just "transportation," but I can't imagine that DL's BusinessElite (they don't have a three-cabin First product like CX) is a memorable experience in and of itself like CX F seems to be (at least from all the trip reports I've read on it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.