Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Positive Change in Electronic Device Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)

I know there was once a long thread about Alaska's policy requiring electronic devices to be turned off BEFORE the aircraft door was closed. Our flight attendant tonight announced that on May 25, the policy would be changed to having to turn off devices WHEN the aircraft door was closed.

This is similar to the policy on other airlines that I fly. This will certainly help for those times when the announcement is made to turn things off and then we sit there for several minutes (door open) waiting for baggage to load, maintenance to sign off a log, etc.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Great. Now people who think they are more important than they really, talking about crap that can wait until they land will be talking a few more minutes.

Old May 21, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
I guess I'm fortunate in that I really haven't sat next to many passengers who are actually talking on their phones. More folks I've encountered are texting or updating e-mail.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I consider this to be a most welcome development.

I'm usually cranking out a last minute email or text so this is good news.^
Old May 21, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by apodo77
Great. Now people who think they are more important than they really, talking about crap that can wait until they land will be talking a few more minutes.

As much as that can "be annoying" from time to time, there are plenty of people who are reading a book that isn't made of paper.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by apodo77

+1

I just hope this isn't the first crack in to allowing cell phone use in flight.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by makfan
I know there was once a long thread about Alaska's policy requiring electronic devices to be turned off BEFORE the aircraft door was closed. Our flight attendant tonight announced that on May 25, the policy would be changed to having to turn off devices WHEN the aircraft door was closed.

This is similar to the policy on other airlines that I fly. This will certainly help for those times when the announcement is made to turn things off and then we sit there for several minutes (door open) waiting for baggage to load, maintenance to sign off a log, etc.
^^^^

Originally Posted by PetePDX
I guess I'm fortunate in that I really haven't sat next to many passengers who are actually talking on their phones. More folks I've encountered are texting or updating e-mail.
Ditto. I can count on one (OK, maybe two) hand the number of times I've heard phone conversations during boarding. Either that's not a big concern, or most people are actually fairly reasonable with their vocal volume levels when on the phone.

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
I consider this to be a most welcome development.

I'm usually cranking out a last minute email or text so this is good news.^
Ditto! I'm lucky to now have a job that allows me to travel pretty freely as long as I stay caught up on work. And since all of my work is real-time (answering emails, processing transactions), it's not stuff I can just cache and deal with later. Time is often of the essence, since a missed window can mean the difference between one of the transactions going through or being denied.

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
+1

That's coming someday anyway. This has absolutely no effect on that. This is just a realignment of the way the current FAA regs about PEDs are interpreted for AS.

In hindsight, I did write the FAA about this some time ago--at least a couple years, I think. I wonder if my email had anything to do with this change. If so, it sure took 'em long enough.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
the rules have NEVER been a deterrent to those texting on smart phones. I'm sure you've seen them. They hide the device from the flight attendants in order to get a few more messages off. Now they'll just keep them on just that little bit longer.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL DM, UA Gold, & Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
+1

It's only a matter of time. Virgin Atlantic is now offering that service on some of its planes (except when over U.S. airspace).

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...eromobile.html
Old May 21, 2012, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
For me it is just a few more minutes to read my eBook or send another email/text. Such is the world we live in. I don't like being always on, but getting as much sent out before the 20 minutes or so of dead time from door closure to 10,000 feet can be important some days.

I'm very good about complying. When I hear the door close on an AA flight, I put my phone and iPad in airplane mode and then power off. But I hate having to turn it off on an AS flight, only to have the captain come on the PA two minutes later saying we are waiting for a mechanic to come sign off the log book and that it will be another few minutes before we really can leave the gate. My phone takes a while to restart from off.

It's a little thing, but from what I recall it irked a bunch of people. They also tend to have us shut down devices well before 10,000 feet on the descent. I do push this one a bit but if the flight attendant asks me directly I will turn it off. Once I hear the double chime, I shut down right away regardless of instructions.
Old May 22, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by makfan
I'm very good about complying. When I hear the door close on an AA flight, I put my phone and iPad in airplane mode and then power off. But I hate having to turn it off on an AS flight, only to have the captain come on the PA two minutes later saying we are waiting for a mechanic to come sign off the log book and that it will be another few minutes before we really can leave the gate. My phone takes a while to restart from off.
Good on ya for complying, makfan. I, too, have an iPhone and notice more often than not when a seatmate has one, that they haven't powered it down during flight. When they take it out of their purse/seatback/etc., they simply hit the home button, the screen lights up and they text away or make a call. No waiting for boot-up.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dave1013
I, too, have an iPhone and notice more often than not when a seatmate has one, that they haven't powered it down during flight. When they take it out of their purse/seatback/etc., they simply hit the home button, the screen lights up and they text away or make a call. No waiting for boot-up.
This is what I do nowadays...in airplane mode, though FWIW. I was recently on a SEA-PDX flight across the aisle from a pilot (in uniform) who did the exact same thing with his iPad...and didn't even wait for the 10,000 feet chime to turn it on.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 98103
the rules have NEVER been a deterrent to those texting on smart phones. I'm sure you've seen them. They hide the device from the flight attendants in order to get a few more messages off. Now they'll just keep them on just that little bit longer.
Or like my last flight on UA where my seat mate was texting even after wheels lifted of and was texting again about 2 min before we touched the ground
Old May 23, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
With all this texting, iPad usage and Kindle reading during take off and landing I'm surprised that planes haven't fallen out of the sky yet!

Oh wait - just remembered that there have been exactly zero incidents related to portable electronics.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
As an FYI both my flights yesterday (PDX-SEA and SEA-IAH) was the standard "can't shut the door until all electronics are turned off".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.