Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NextGen article in NYT featuring AS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, etc.
NextGen article in NYT featuring AS

An interesting read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/bu...l?ref=business
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Most interesting! Can anyone advise us on how this sat-based system will handle disruptions created by solar storms?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
All pioneered here back in the 90's in Alaska under the auspices of the Capstone program, as spearheaded by former FAA Alaskan Region Administrator Pat Poe.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JPat
Most interesting! Can anyone advise us on how this sat-based system will handle disruptions created by solar storms?
Someone else probably has more knowledge, but the aircraft gps do have safeguards in place to alert of the gps is accurate. So if there is an unexpected disruption they would just continue flying without the benefit of gps, which is perfectly safe.

I am curious if there has been any actual gps disruptions due to solar storms in aircraft. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been. But I'm sure it will happen at some point.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Someone else probably has more knowledge, but the aircraft gps do have safeguards in place to alert of the gps is accurate. So if there is an unexpected disruption they would just continue flying without the benefit of gps, which is perfectly safe.

I am curious if there has been any actual gps disruptions due to solar storms in aircraft. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been. But I'm sure it will happen at some point.
I'm sure there have been, but there are numerous other systems on the aircraft that monitor its position as well, including ILS, VOR/DME, and the Flight Management Computer. If the required navigation performance falls below a certain threshold, you can't continue the approach.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:12 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Skiff
I'm sure there have been, but there are numerous other systems on the aircraft that monitor its position as well, including ILS, VOR/DME, and the Flight Management Computer. If the required navigation performance falls below a certain threshold, you can't continue the approach.
and if all else fails they have flight training 101 to fall back on...VFR...albeit if over and ocean you have SOL training
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ANC
and if all else fails they have flight training 101 to fall back on...VFR...albeit if over and ocean you have SOL training
That's one reason why flight crews should still be trained on the use of the sextant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.