Wiki Posts
Search

More AS Flights to DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
More AS Flights to DCA?

It's not final yet, but one of the changes proposed in the four-year FAA funding reauthorization is:

"Slots at Reagan National Airport. The compromise authorized eight more round-trip, long-distance flights from the airport, which is close to Washington, D.C."

Wonder if AS will get any of these??

USA Today article.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
If Alaska obtains additional slots, what routes do you think will be opened?
PDX-DCA?
SAN-DCA?
SJC-DCA?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Maybe, but only maybe. I'm not an real expert on these things, but I've followed the issue of the DCA perimeter rule closely for some time.

As with all things in DC, this is highly political. I could see a third DCA-SEA, perhaps integrating a red-eye return. And maybe a DCA-PDX. The "perimeter" is 1250 miles, conveniently including IAH and DFW. My guess is that the most assurred slot would be a DCA-SFO for UA, which UA has been wanting for ages. DL would likely angle for another SLC slot, US another PHX slot, and perhaps AA or DL trying to get a LAX slot.

If I were AS, I would emphasize that granting them coveted spots preserves competition in transcontinental routes, and that DL, AA, US, and UA have considerable shares of that market, albeit mostly on routes requiring a change at a hub. Moreover, AS could credibly claim that a second LAX frequency would make their existing one more visible - its amazing how many people in this town have no idea that AS flies DCA-LAX nonstop.

Just my conjecture based on what I've observed over the years.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:11 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jfhscott
Maybe, but only maybe. I'm not an real expert on these things, but I've followed the issue of the DCA perimeter rule closely for some time.

As with all things in DC, this is highly political. I could see a third DCA-SEA, perhaps integrating a red-eye return. And maybe a DCA-PDX. The "perimeter" is 1250 miles, conveniently including IAH and DFW. My guess is that the most assurred slot would be a DCA-SFO for UA, which UA has been wanting for ages. DL would likely angle for another SLC slot, US another PHX slot, and perhaps AA or DL trying to get a LAX slot.

If I were AS, I would emphasize that granting them coveted spots preserves competition in transcontinental routes, and that DL, AA, US, and UA have considerable shares of that market, albeit mostly on routes requiring a change at a hub. Moreover, AS could credibly claim that a second LAX frequency would make their existing one more visible - its amazing how many people in this town have no idea that AS flies DCA-LAX nonstop.

Just my conjecture based on what I've observed over the years.
the last thing on the mind of AA right now is expanding. They are about to axe 1000s of staff
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I think getting a third to SEA might be a tough sell.

Also think they might throw one or two to FLWN or to B6 to keep up the pretense that there's competition.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
I think getting a third to SEA might be a tough sell.

Also think they might throw one or two to FLWN or to B6 to keep up the pretense that there's competition.
Me thinks that AS will not be a huge player in this upcoming slot fest. I believe they will end up with a pair for PDX-DCA, and possibly be in the running for a SAN-DCA.

The major winner here will be VX getting slot pairs for SFO and LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Since AS already has the most perimeter exemption slots ex-DCA, it will be tough for AS to obtain a fourth pair. There also has to be justifiable high business demand between DCA-PDX since SEA already covers the connection options, so weighting too much on connecting traffic won't really help them much in the application.

I think VX will be one of the high candidates to get some slots and UA will probably snag one or two for SFO to connect customers to/from Asia. WN might jump in the mix as well for DEN.

I am not sure if this is permissible, but who knows AC will be able to apply for YVR service.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hate to say it but SFO, and possibly even SAN, will probably get DCA before PDX gets a shot.

I remember back in the day when AS first got access to DCA, part of the selling point was that the flights would be through flights ex-ANC (AS1/2) and ex-FAI (AS3/4). Maybe they could apply for something like ANC-PDX-DCA and return. The scheduling would work out pretty easily.

Last edited by Chugach; Feb 1, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Hoping for at least one more pair, remember an article a year or so ago where Ayer said he hoped to get a PDX-DCA flight going.

AS is my primary transcon airline now, so will be too bad if this turns into a VX or UA slot grab.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Hoping for at least one more pair, remember an article a year or so ago where Ayer said he hoped to get a PDX-DCA flight going.

AS is my primary transcon airline now, so will be too bad if this turns into a VX or UA slot grab.
the SEA-DCA was an easy connection to Alaska, so perhaps Alaska could sell a PDX-DCA and return as an easy connection to Honolulu or something like that.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
PDX officials seem confident in getting a DCA flight:

http://www.kgw.com/news/More-direct-...138743549.html
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
PDX officials seem confident in getting a DCA flight:

http://www.kgw.com/news/More-direct-...138743549.html
Wow, reading the article the Oregon people literally guarantee that this will happen if the bill passes... While chances may be pretty high, it is a little overly confident since those authorities will be turned over to the DOT/FAA to grant them to various applicants.

We shall see... At the same time, I think this might mean the death of the AS LAX-DCA flight. Almost zero connectivity and I think UA or AA would be much more suited to serve this route with far more connectivity beyond LAX. AS simply got this route based on noncompetitive purposes since they are significantly smaller than UA, DL, AA, etc.

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 6, 2012 at 1:52 am
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Wow, reading the article the Oregon people literally guaranteed that this will happen if the bill passes... While chances may be pretty high, it is a little overly confident since those authorities will be turned over to the DOT/FAA to grant them to various applicants.

We shall see... At the same time, I think this might mean the death of the AS LAX-DCA flight. Almost zero connectivity and I think UA or AA would be much more suited to serve this route with far more connectivity beyond LAX. AS simply got this route based on noncompetitive purposes since they are significantly smaller than UA, DL, AA, etc.
Why would AS give up a lucrative DCA slot?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
Why would AS give up a lucrative DCA slot?
Would Congress or the FAA be okay with AS having 1/4 of the DCA perimeter exemption slots?

Perhaps they will allow AS the opportunity to give LAX to VX or UA to start a PDX-DCA route?

I will be surprised if they just gave AS a fourth pair. However, it is the DOT we are talking about...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Would Congress or the FAA be okay with AS having 1/4 of the DCA perimeter exemption slots?

Perhaps they will allow AS the opportunity to give LAX to VX or UA to start a PDX-DCA route?

I will be surprised if they just gave AS a fourth pair. However, it is the DOT we are talking about...
Politics rears its head in Washington, DC? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

--mcz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.