Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Will AS add any more flight from SAN to hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Right now Alaska only has a non stop from SAN to OGG. Has anyone heard whether they may add a non stop to HNL or LIH anytime in the near future? I love Maui but I would like to go to the other islands as well with my AS miles.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Right now I think they are a bit tied up with a/c, so probably won't be until 2012 until much expansion is possible...
Old May 24, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not use your miles to OGG and buy an el-cheapo interisland hop over to HNL?
Old May 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not use your miles to OGG and buy an el-cheapo interisland hop over to HNL?
No longer as elcheapo...

And one does not earn miless on *any* interisland
Old May 24, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by beckoa
No longer as elcheapo...

You would if your interisland included a connection in SEA.

This wouldn't be too ridiculous financially either; when I lived near Hilo in 2005 o/w interisland fares were sometimes over 200 and ATA had seats to SFO for around 149
Old May 24, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by evoG
Originally Posted by beckoa
No longer as elcheapo...

You would if your interisland included a connection in SEA.

This wouldn't be too ridiculous financially either; when I lived near Hilo in 2005 o/w interisland fares were sometimes over 200 and ATA had seats to SFO for around 149
Well... If AS sold flights for 149 rt thru SEA, I'd be happy as well Not sure they would be. They really need some partner or QX there though
Old May 26, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
As a data point, my May flights to and from OGG from SAN were COMPLETELY FULL. May is off season for OGG - and AS seems to be hitting a home run in this market. ^ I hope they do add more seats to HI from SAN!!
Old May 29, 2011, 10:20 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by kenhawk
As a data point, my May flights to and from OGG from SAN were COMPLETELY FULL. May is off season for OGG - and AS seems to be hitting a home run in this market. ^ I hope they do add more seats to HI from SAN!!
good to hear that route seems to run full because Ive heard chatter some AS employees as well as a couple passengers that some of the new cities serving Hawaii arent doing so swell. BLI-HNL I guess had 50 empty seats Friday(but one day doesnt mean a whole lot my HNL_BLI saturday was packed full). And from what I can gather the flights out of OAK arent going out close to full either a lot of the time.

Last edited by ANC; May 29, 2011 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Originally Posted by ANC
good to hear that route seems to run full because Ive heard chatter some AS employees as well as a couple passengers that some of the new cities serving Hawaii arent doing so swell. BLI-HNL I guess had 50 empty seats Friday(but one day doesnt mean a whole lot my HNL_BLI saturday was packed full). And from what I can gather the flights out of OAK arent going out close to full either a lot of the time.
Saturday is the peak day to Hawaii from the mainland so its not a particularly useful data point. A lot of airlines shift capacity to Hawaii on Saturday because the domestic mainland travel falls a lot, but peaks to Hawaii.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FreequentFlier
Saturday is the peak day to Hawaii from the mainland so its not a particularly useful data point. A lot of airlines shift capacity to Hawaii on Saturday because the domestic mainland travel falls a lot, but peaks to Hawaii.
In general, it is not useful to judge overall load factors by the fact that my "xxxday am flight is always full". A passenger is always more likely to be on a full flight because of basic probability.. Suppose the Saturday am flight from SAN-OGG was always full on Saturday and all the other days were virtually empty. Most passengers in this market would conclude that the "AS is making a lot of money on SAN-OGG" because most passengers flew on the Saturday flight. However, The actual route load factor is just over 15%, probably not a money-making proposition.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ANC
We have no idea what the cargo contracts/loads are on these routes. This is often the make/break for Hawaii routes. However, on 738s, I'd imagine that a good chunk of revenue needs to come from "above the floor."
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kenhawk
Wow! I can't believe it. They are so successful routes and more profitability. I would agree with you if AS will eventually to starts more nonstop SAN-HNL/KOA/LIH/ITO in a distant the future. Maybe AS could get second daily nonstop SAN-OGG, if necessary.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:35 pm

Still think another socal airport would work well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.