Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tsunami 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Tsunami 2011

On watch here in Maui
T Minus 50 mins till tsunami hits
now projected to be a 6 foot surge
craziness tonight
my home is a nice distance above sea level so Ill be OK
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Apparently there's a coupe diversions in ANC due to NRT being closed- there's an FTer on location...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was in Waikiki about a year ago after the Chile earthquake caused a tsunami warning. Waikiki beach and all of the streets were deserted on a nice sunny day. Police cars were the only vehicles zooming by, looked like something out of a movie. Nothing really came of it, the waves didn't cause any damage and were much smaller then predicted. Looks like the waves are higher this time but thankfully still won't be too damaging.

Alaska is also being hit but doesn't seem to be anything major.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
This is a major event, but not the first event of 2011, there was a 7.2 off of Honshu earlier this week. The Pacific wide impact of this event is amazing and it is devastating - life and property all around the Pacific has been destroyed. Alaska did have some serious waves recorded at the tide gauges, but blessedly the energy of the earthquake did not go towards Anchorage but hit the Aleutians.

The Kahului tide gauge was topped. Crescent City is reporting major damage and we haven't even seen the impact on South America yet....
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Apparently there's a coupe diversions in ANC due to NRT being closed- there's an FTer on location...
AA's 153, my flight in two and half weeks spent the night in ANC. Glad I have a biz seat on my outbound.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lalala
Crescent City is reporting major damage....
In the millions. The harbor is destroyed. At least no lives were lost .
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:36 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Any word yet on Hawaii damages? I am planning to go to HNL and OGG at the end of May. If the area took a bunch of damage that wont be cleaned up by then there is no sense in booking the trip to get in the middle of a mess and in peoples way. The last I heard there want really any damage? The carnage in the other side of the pond is rather sad . Its a stark reminder of what can, did, and could happen in Anchorage. Considering the damage done in 64. I'd hate to see a 9 point something hit there again now that there are huge buildings like the Bank of America building which would send class chards down like rain, the BP building, captain cook, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ANC
Considering the damage done in 64. I'd hate to see a 9 point something hit there again now that there are huge buildings like the Bank of America building which would send class chards down like rain, the BP building, captain cook, etc.
Doesn't Alaska have earthquake building codes like California?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:45 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Doesn't Alaska have earthquake building codes like California?
yes but obviously theyve never been tested in real life 8.9 9.0 or 9.2 situations. Japan isnt a 3rd world place or anything and has codes as well covering such things. Nature can pretty much destroy anything it wants to
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Yes, Alaska has very stringent earthquake codes and was the first of fifty states to implement a "tsunami ready" system statewide. The hotel Captain Cook was specifically designed with quakes in mind just a few years after the massive 9.2 1964 quake. Many office windows are designed to fall inward vs. falling on the street too. A few years ago the Anchorage International Airport completed a seismic retrofit with earthquakes in mind.

Municipal and private industries conduct an annual earthquake drill and preparation; we also had a tsunami alert drill broadcast less than two months ago.

Of course, the 1964 quake occurred with a much smaller population to the real test will come when a major quake actually occurs (the last big one was a 7.9 in 2002 along the Denali Fault in a largely uninhabited area).

I know the public schools have earthquake drills as do many private companies since big quakes and tsunamis are a part of life in Alaska.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Sadly, someone in Crescent City died.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Originally Posted by BOB W
Sadly, someone in Crescent City died.
Is that the person who was trying to take pictures of an incoming Tsunami who was swept out to sea?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:24 pm

Is that the person who was trying to take pictures of an incoming Tsunami who was swept out to sea?
I believe so. A total of 5 people were swept out to sea, but they managed to rescue 4.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Some people....

Sad to lose any life, but you still have to a bit.

The second of the two AA 777s on the ground in ANC took off a little over a half an hour ago. AFAIK, the UA 747 is still parked at the N gates. I haven't seen a flight plan filed for it.

Article by a journalist on AA135 who overnighted in ANC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42033999...file_multiline
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I have inlaws who uploaded a very dramatic video in kona (although not to a japanese level)

some inlaws just landed in Maui ... scheduled to show up to some damaged area in west maui. no word from those guys.

Probably no big deal compared to a very good friend of mine, his wife, and baby in Sendai...i havent heard from them in about 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.