New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:39 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
From the page that you see the yvr-jfk, click on the Asia link on the right.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...hart-asia.aspx
Thanks! Must be to early for my brain.

Can I connect HKG-DXB for the same price? (Never mind, I just clicked Africa) haha
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Thanks! Must be to early for my brain.

Can I connect HKG-DXB for the same price?
Note that it says "Between North America and Asia". This is the Africa, Middle East, and India section:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rt-Africa.aspx

If you're in F, yes. J or Y, not so much. Note that HKG-DXB generally does not get F equipment, so you will only be in F for the ex-USA-HKG segment, but you will get the new CX J seat for ex-HKG-DXB on an F redemption.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Dragon Air

I was once told that I can't use miles for Dragon air. I was hoping Dragon air would be to CX as Horizon is to AS. Has anyone else ran across this?

I'm looking to book award to CAN Guangzhou, China. I think the only award option is Emirates, but I'd prefer to not go the long way around and not pay the higher mileage.

While I'm happy with AS improvements with international mileage partners, I'd like to see better coverage in China. I think CAN is the top only top 20 most populated cities not served through mileage partner. I'd love to see China southern AS's newest partner.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Originally Posted by SFore
Yes I have booked CX F like this. Book the outward leg at 330 and then the return later when available.
I have as well -- or at least so far. I will know next week if the return can be booked (and if the outbound is still in place).
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JimmyJoe
I was once told that I can't use miles for Dragon air. I was hoping Dragon air would be to CX as Horizon is to AS. Has anyone else ran across this?
No, KA is not an AS partner, just CX. (KA is a partner for oneworld redemption purposes, though).

That being said, book CX to HKG and then take the ferry out of SkyPier to Guangzhou, or go into the city and take a ferry from there. You're only about 80 miles out.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...-a-glance.html
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:57 pm

Well, I was able to book the return flights this week. Outbound was LA/HKG/Brisbane. I was trying to book a return Auckland/HKG/LA -- but the Auckland flight was not available (might have been a problem with open jaw multiple countries, might have simply been that flight doesn't have award seats). But the agent was able to book Sydney/HKG/LA on the requested day. I can live with that.

We are looking forward to experiencing the Cathay 777 First class experience. I realize that the flights to Australia are business class -- figure we'll get our sleep time in on the LA/HKG flights.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
Well, I was able to book the return flights this week. Outbound was LA/HKG/Brisbane. I was trying to book a return Auckland/HKG/LA -- but the Auckland flight was not available (might have been a problem with open jaw multiple countries, might have simply been that flight doesn't have award seats). But the agent was able to book Sydney/HKG/LA on the requested day. I can live with that.

We are looking forward to experiencing the Cathay 777 First class experience. I realize that the flights to Australia are business class -- figure we'll get our sleep time in on the LA/HKG flights.
Good to know! CX business seats are still very good for sleeping.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:19 pm

Well I suspect we'll get some nap time on the HKG/Australia legs. Since outbound we'll have the 15 hour LA/HKG flight in 1st class we figure to get a decent amount of sleep there and the follow on flight to Brisbane at 9 hours -- well I expect a bit of nap time, but more a matter of getting ready for the early morning arrival in Brisbane after 24 hours airborne.

For the return, it is an early morning flight from Sydney to HKG -- so again probably nap, not sleep. Also a relatively short layover in HKG (1 hour 45 minutes) so we're likely to go pretty much plane to plane and board the 777 1st class.

I am hoping that as a result of the 'good sleep' in those wide 1st class beds, we'll be properly rested.

For the outbound flight set we'll arrive in LA the day before and get some hotel bed rest.

By the way, looking at what these flights would actually cost if one were paying for them, using miles for Cathay business or first class has got to be just about the highest yield one gets for miles -- well over 10 cents per mile (closer to 15 cents per mile).

For the return flight set since arrival in LA is early afternoon, we figure to change planes for our short flight home. I try to avoid that 'three flight continuous' scenario, but for this one I think it should be OK.

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Good to know! CX business seats are still very good for sleeping.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just booked to JNB for 2 pax. 1st pax is ticketed in 1st LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO and I'm in E+ LAX-HKG and 1st HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO. Seems CX releases 1 seat at a time on the 777 and 2 at a time on 744. When I was looking on Monday on BA's website I saw F on JNB-HKG, by Tuesday it was gone. However no seats were selected and today JNB-HKG opened up, so I was able to call the partner desk and secure F on this segment (although the upper cabin on the 744 sounded exciting)

If looking at mid Aug- any guess to when CX may open up more F ex-LAX?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP
I'm noticing the same issues as I plan the exact routing for next end-March. Although I can't search for the dates I need, if I search 330 days out, I'm hardly ever seeing 2 F seats put of the west coast, on top of that trying to get ex-US flights that coordinate with the every other day 747 to JNB with F.

I've never had problems booking 2 F seats 300+ days put before...
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by beckoa
Just booked to JNB for 2 pax. 1st pax is ticketed in 1st LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO and I'm in E+ LAX-HKG and 1st HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO. Seems CX releases 1 seat at a time on the 777 and 2 at a time on 744. When I was looking on Monday on BA's website I saw F on JNB-HKG, by Tuesday it was gone. However no seats were selected and today JNB-HKG opened up, so I was able to call the partner desk and secure F on this segment (although the upper cabin on the 744 sounded exciting)

If looking at mid Aug- any guess to when CX may open up more F ex-LAX?
I've had pretty good luck grabbing additional seats ex-LAX in CX F at around T-4...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:51 pm

The flights we grabbed -- LAX/HKG/Brisbane and Sydney/HKG/LA -- we grabbed them at 350 days out -- and pretty much our first choice (once we settled on not getting the return from Auckland) in terms of dates. These are 2 1st Class seats (realizing the flights to/from Australia are actually business class). So I was pleasantly surprised at the availability.

I had in view alternatives -- Qantas (though their flights are pretty much never available from what I've seen for 1st class or business class), Korean Air (business class only) or Fiji. We've taken Fiji before (as Air Pacific) and if we ended up with them again, we'd make sure our travel plans could withstand last minute cancellations and/or schedule changes with limited notice.

As has always been the case for us, the agent on the phone did a first class job. It is one aspect of Alaska Airlines where they truly are above the competition.

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I've had pretty good luck grabbing additional seats ex-LAX in CX F at around T-4...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
350 days out? Isn't it 330?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:21 pm

How does one use the BA website to check for availibity on Alaska air Cathay awards? I don't understand. Are CS awards shown with BA also available through the AS award system?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by northtoalaska
How does one use the BA website to check for availibity on Alaska air Cathay awards? I don't understand. Are CS awards shown with BA also available through the AS award system?
One needs to sign up for BA's Avios program and shop for award travel. For me what BA saw on CX I could book using AS miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.