Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

cancelling and rebooking (dropping initial segment)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Hi. Husband and I are booked one-way BLI-SEA-MCO Wednesday night to end up on a cruise out of San Juan. Weather forecast iffy so planning to drop BLI segment since only 50/50 out of there in wintertime and rather not bother.

Scenario - he is booked one-way supersaver first class seat. I am booked paid first class seat.

For SEA-MCO, award availability still there - and I can rebook my seat.

Here's my question - we have three companion certificates. I'd like to rebook us, SEA-MCO, with one paid and one companion fare. Can I do that and THEN cancel the others? I don't want to cancel them first in the very slim chance that somehow between cancelling them and rebooking the paid/companion combo the availability disappears.

If I go ahead and do the booking, what will the computer do? Running around for a couple of hours and will call MVP desk on return but thought I'd see if there's any good input here before I do. A search didn't really turn up anything like this, that I could see.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I think if it is all done within a half hour to an hour, you should be fine. However, you might want to have the reservation about ready to ticket and then do your cancellations over the phone in prompt fashion. I recall that at some point in the past year I was double-booked for however long it took to complete reservation #2 and cancel reservation #1 (which had one common segment from #2), both online.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for input ... in case this is of use to anyone else, first called MVP Desk, verified availability and asked if this was possible. Told yes, and the award would cost $100 to redeposit, although i knew only $75 if done online. Went online, booked the "new" flight and immediately went online and cancelled the other two, all good to go.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
I also have done similar in the past, and had no problems. If you leave the duplicate bookings, the system usually cancels out the first booking in preference for the 2nd, but does not process a refund - it has to be done manually.

For some reason, I thought F awards were refundable - didn't think you'd have to pay the $75. I suspect if you had not wanted to rebook using the companion cert, you could have called AS and as a courtesy in the situation they would have cancelled your BLI - SEA segment on the award with no fee...of course that would be a maybe.

Glad it all worked out.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE

For some reason, I thought F awards were refundable - didn't think you'd have to pay the $75. I suspect if you had not wanted to rebook using the companion cert, you could have called AS and as a courtesy in the situation they would have cancelled your BLI - SEA segment on the award with no fee...of course that would be a maybe.
I did some research on the fee for redepositing the F award ticket and also was surprised that it seems you still have to pay the $75 fee. In any event, I wanted to rebook with the companion fare because husband is now MVP and wanted the double miles for the lengthy trip for both of us so am pleased with how it worked out. Am hoarding miles for hopefully premium economy on Qantas to Oz in October

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.