Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

ANC/LAX/DCA and Other Odd Routings for MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K

I was considering a MR to start the year off and to make use of my 50% off PFD cert. Using Alaskaair.com, I tried ANC/DCA but it won't give me the routing through LAX, only through SEA. I tried using multi-city, but that drives the price up. The AS web site gave me the LAX routing in the past (for the same price as the SEA routing) and it was easier to get an upgrade than going DCA/SEA and it racked up more miles. Any suggestions on how to get the LAX routing for the same price? Any suggestions for getting other odd routings just to accummulate miles?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pipeliner
Any suggestions on how to get the LAX routing for the same price? Any suggestions for getting other odd routings just to accummulate miles?
The lowest fare ($447ow) listed for AS on ExpertFlyer shows the following routing rules:

Code:
SPECIFIED          ROUTE: 0001                                 
ANC-CHI-WAS                                                    
ANC-SEA-PDX-SEA-SFO-LAX-WAS                                    
ANC-JNU-SEA-PDX-SEA-SFO-LAX-WAS
Looks like routing via LAX should still be valid.

I can play around with it a bit more when I have more time and see if I can figure out why. I had issues last year trying to get a route via LAX when choosing a stopover in SEA, even though the stopover shouldn't have affected things. Weird.

FWIW, the best CPM out of ANC right now is MCO. That's where I'm going on my 50% off certificate.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by jackal
The lowest fare ($447ow) listed for AS on ExpertFlyer shows the following routing rules:
UA, US, AA, DL, F9, and CO are all offering ANC - WAS at 1/2 that price. So, you could use your 50% off coupon to get the same fare offered there, or take a MR on AA or DL...likely to include 1 or more segments each way on AS as codeshares and save your 50% coupon for when AS offers a competitive fare out of ANC...
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
UA, US, AA, DL, F9, and CO are all offering ANC - WAS at 1/2 that price. So, you could use your 50% off coupon to get the same fare offered there, or take a MR on AA or DL...likely to include 1 or more segments each way on AS as codeshares and save your 50% coupon for when AS offers a competitive fare out of ANC...
Unfortunately, the PFD fare is only valid for purchase and travel through February 26, 2011. I suspect we won't see some decent AS fares until the competition starts ramping up for the summer, which is too late to use the discount.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
FWIW, the best CPM out of ANC right now is MCO. That's where I'm going on my 50% off certificate.
Smart choice! The weather is far nicer in Orlando than Washington and certainly it's better than ANC this time of year!
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I found some $431.30 OW AI - ANC-PDX-LAX-DCA. Fare Basis Code: T14JN5. Seems to be a bunch of availability in early Feb
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
I found some $431.30 OW AI - ANC-PDX-LAX-DCA. Fare Basis Code: T14JN5. Seems to be a bunch of availability in early Feb
Wow, weird. Can't find that fare on EF.

Still, I think MCO comes out at a lower CPM, even when routing to DCA via LAX.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Thanks for the info. To assist in the future, how did you come up with the fare basis code? If I call AS, can I get one of their phone agents to issue the ticket? I subscribe to EF, but don't use much of its capability.

Thanks, Jackal, for the MCO suggestion. I'll take a look at that too. I thought I'd have a better shot at upgrades with the SEA/LAX/DCA routing, however.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Actually it looks like some days have gone down. I tried feb 7 -10 and found 379++ each way on the route 805.10 AI. It ends up being the cheapest and the most miles. It seems to be avail days before and after

To view the fare basis on the alaska page. Once you select the itin and you get to the page where you get the upsell for hotels and cars. Right above the summary of charges there is a view Fare and Baggage Rules link. Click on that to expand. The fifth bullet down from there is View all Fare Rules. Click on that and follow the instructions.

All booking engines have a similar function. Its basically the fine print and its always hard to find if your not looking

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 4, 2011 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey, thanks, I followed your directions and found the fare basis code no problem. The AS web site is showing me the routing via LAX now, but for some reason it would only give me the direct flight from SEA a few nights ago.

I thought these 50% off PFD certs were going to be a really smoking deal, but the fares are so high right now that 50% off just brings it down to a really good fare sale. It's certainly not what I envisioned 50% off to be. That being said, it looks like a good opportunity to get a MR in and make sure I can requal for gold for next year.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:05 pm

Hey, thanks, I followed your directions and found the fare basis code no problem. The AS web site is showing me the routing via LAX now, but for some reason it would only give me the direct flight from SEA a few nights ago.

I thought these 50% off PFD certs were going to be a really smoking deal, but the fares are so high right now that 50% off just brings it down to a really good fare sale. It's certainly not what I envisioned 50% off to be. That being said, it looks like a good opportunity to get a MR in and make sure I can requal for gold for next year.
Agreed...I have a companion cert I was hoping to use in Feb for a short vacation...but AS's fares out of ANC are so high to everywhere that I might pass for now...

Do you think fares will drop as soon as the PFD coupons are no longer valid??
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Agreed...I have a companion cert I was hoping to use in Feb for a short vacation...but AS's fares out of ANC are so high to everywhere that I might pass for now...

Do you think fares will drop as soon as the PFD coupons are no longer valid??
...that would be ironic but doubt it won't be much until after Spring Break...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
...that would be ironic but doubt it won't be much until after Spring Break...
I thought that in the past there were always some pretty decent fares to be had in the after-holiday lull...always excluding spring break dates, of course.

Oh...yeah...and it would be almost as ironic as the fares that increased just before the PFD sale came out.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. I was almost tempted to not use it at all, but that would have felt like a waste (I know, not logical, but "getting the deal" is half emotional, right? ), and I finally found a rather creative routing that made it not quite as painful.

I know these high fares aren't due to heavy demand, since all of my flights are still F7 Y7...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.