Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 MVPG Guest UG certs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I requalified in mid December for MVPG.

The welcome packet for 2011 arrived two days ago, with 4 paper certs --- all dated 2011.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS
I qualified for MVPG around the middle of Dec and recieved my 2011 certs a couple weeks later. I just "used" my first one on a SEA-EWR upgrade for next week. The phone agent told me that I won't be able to check in on line as a result and need to present the ticket to a gate agent. Reading this thread is sounds like this means I can't use the kiosk at the airport. It also sounds like something was supposed to change regarding collection beginning 1/1/11.

Has anyone had any experience since this alleged change? While I don't mind relinquishing one of these for a cross country flight, if I don't have to hand it in I wouldn't say no. I'd also like to avoid in-person check in more generally because it adds extra time (albeit only a little) to the whole process.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Nope, this is actually not a change. This has always been the case, and phone agents have always told travelers using the upgrade certs that they would have to check in with a ticket agent.

It's just that when you check in with a ticket agent, it's more often than not (especially if you're Gold) they don't bother (or maybe don't notice?) to collect the cert.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jackal
Nope, this is actually not a change. This has always been the case, and phone agents have always told travelers using the upgrade certs that they would have to check in with a ticket agent.

It's just that when you check in with a ticket agent, it's more often than not (especially if you're Gold) they don't bother (or maybe don't notice?) to collect the cert.
End of Dec both in ANC and BOS the TA asked for a cert from my wife...now she doesn't have status but I checked our bags in right before her. It might be hit or miss or they've started to crack down.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by erikatcuse
End of Dec both in ANC and BOS the TA asked for a cert from my wife...now she doesn't have status but I checked our bags in right before her. It might be hit or miss or they've started to crack down.
Right, there has been talk about a change in enforcement, but there isn't an actual policy change.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 3:43 pm
HDK

Programs: AS MVPG 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, TR Seven Stars, Mlife Noir, TSA Pre
Had a 2011 paper cert collected at ANC last Wednesday night (red eye to SEA)...

first cert that I've had to hand over in over three years...

The agent scrutinized the first one I handed him and politely let me know that it was a 2010 certificate and no longer valid (I actually thought about handing over a 2009 cert but thought that would be bad form)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I believe the IT Dept has linked the cert-seat assignment, so that the agent's check-in screen reads : "COLLECT UPGRADE CERTIFICATE!"
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I believe the IT Dept has linked the cert-seat assignment, so that the agent's check-in screen reads : "COLLECT UPGRADE CERTIFICATE!"
You are correct, sir (or ma'am, as the case may be!).

I noticed that on my trip to ANC last week when I went to check in on-line. This was a trip that I had called in and upgraded with the 2001 Gold coupon. In the past, when preparing to embark on a coupon-upgraded trip, the system would not even allow me to check in on line. Now, as you have noted, it will print you out a faux BP bearing the "collect" message.

You're pretty much at the mercy of the ticket counter agent as to whether or not they collect the cert. My experience has been that if they do not collect it, your record is "unlocked" and for whatever segments remain on your trip, you can do the OLCI and print out de facto, unrestricted boarding passes.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
MVPG 2011 Card/Certs Package Status?

Does anyone know when the mailing of 2011 MVP Gold packets to those who re-qualified in 2010 will be complete?

(Not those who made a new level -- but those of us who stayed the same.)

I re-qualified for MVPG mid-2010 and would have expected to have received my 2011 MVPG card and upgrade certificates by now. But ... nada. I seem to recall last year, it may have taken until the end of January.

Any official word?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite, Avis First, Hertz PC
@Seattlenerd I was in the same situation and just got my packet yesterday.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Does anyone know when the mailing of 2011 MVP Gold packets to those who re-qualified in 2010 will be complete?

(Not those who made a new level -- but those of us who stayed the same.)

I re-qualified for MVPG mid-2010 and would have expected to have received my 2011 MVPG card and upgrade certificates by now. But ... nada. I seem to recall last year, it may have taken until the end of January.

Any official word?
Originally Posted by fooko2002
@Seattlenerd I was in the same situation and just got my packet yesterday.
Thanks for this info. Requalified on 12/30. Based on other posts above reflecting a couple of weeks after qualification, was beginning to wonder. I'll allow an extra 3 weeks for the mail to get to Alaska...
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

75K packets are delayed, perhaps we aren't alone
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Thanks for this info. Requalified on 12/30. Based on other posts above reflecting a couple of weeks after qualification, was beginning to wonder. I'll allow an extra 3 weeks for the mail to get to Alaska...
I was MVPG last year and made it on the 31st of Dec. The miles posted about a week later and my status was changed. Yesterday I received an MVP packet...hopefully next week a MVPG packet will come in.

Last edited by Snow n Sail; Jan 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I qualified for MVPG on Dec. 26 and got my MVPG packet today, with 4 paper upgrade certs.

It did say welcome to the "highest" level of Mileage Plan.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:21 pm

MVPG packet arrived today in the mail...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.