FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1142410-alaska-airlines-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2010-2014-a.html)

seacarl Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by sely (Post 18939199)
Hello-

Over the weekend I was on an award ticket on United. United canceled our flight and rebooked us on Delta (Y fare). I would like to credit the mileage to AS, but notice it asks for both a boarding pass and receipt. Since United paid for the ticket there is no receipt on Delta.com.

What are my chances of AS crediting miles for a Delta flight if I just submit them a boarding pass?

Thanks for the help.

This won't help you now, but I have found that you can indeed get award credit when you travel on another carrier due to IRROPs. As far as the other carrier is concerned it is a revenue ticket, they are being paid. Absolutely the easiest way to do this is to get your FF# entered at the time of check-in, or at the airport prior to the flight. Then it is automatic.

You probably don't have a ticket receipt, but a FIM (flight interruption manifest) - and even that may have been electronic. So probably all that you will be able to submit to DL is the BP. Does it have any kind of ticket number on it?

Good Luck

SanDiego1K Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am

I want to set up an alert on Expert Flyer, looking for coach awards that I will use Avios to redeem. I need the lowest category of awards. What is the fare code?

jackal Jul 18, 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 18955142)
I want to set up an alert on Expert Flyer, looking for coach awards that I will use Avios to redeem. I need the lowest category of awards. What is the fare code?

W = saver award space for coach
A = saver award space for first class

It *should* map to what BA sees for availability, but someone posted recently that they had issues using Avios even though AS showed saver availability.

SanDiego1K Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 18955594)
W = saver award space for coach
A = saver award space for first class

It *should* map to what BA sees for availability, but someone posted recently that they had issues using Avios even though AS showed saver availability.

AS has two level of coach awards. I just set up an alert and learned that W is for the higher level. BA can't ticket that. I need the lower level. For example, SAN-MRY can be 7,500 miles or 12,500 miles using AS miles for coach. BA can only issue a ticket for what AS offers for 7500 miles. (For this route, BA will ticket at 4,500 Avios.) Can you help with the code for the lower award offering?

jackal Jul 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 18956331)
AS has two level of coach awards. I just set up an alert and learned that W is for the higher level. BA can't ticket that. I need the lower level. For example, SAN-MRY can be 7,500 miles or 12,500 miles using AS miles for coach. BA can only issue a ticket for what AS offers for 7500 miles. (For this route, BA will ticket at 4,500 Avios.) Can you help with the code for the lower award offering?

Unless something massive has changed in the last two weeks, W is the code for Saver space--at least it was when I was booking several Saver tickets over the last month.

AS actually has three levels of coach awards: Saver, Choice, and Full Flex. I'm actually not sure what the code for Choice (mid-level) space is (Full Flex is the same as a full-fare ticket, i.e. Y), but I'm pretty darn sure W is for Saver.

SanDiego1K Jul 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks, Jackal. It's definitely pulling up the mid tier level on an Expert Flyer search. I've posted a question for the EF folks.

baliktad Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 18956784)
Unless something massive has changed in the last two weeks, W is the code for Saver space--at least it was when I was booking several Saver tickets over the last month.

AS actually has three levels of coach awards: Saver, Choice, and Full Flex. I'm actually not sure what the code for Choice (mid-level) space is (Full Flex is the same as a full-fare ticket, i.e. Y), but I'm pretty darn sure W is for Saver.

Coach Saver space comes out of W.
Coach Choice space comes out of Q. (confirmed by missy)
Coach Full Flex space comes out of Y.

GRALISTAIR Jul 18, 2012 5:39 pm

approximately how long before miles earned on AS (non DL codeshare) post to a Skymiles account?

SanDiego1K Jul 18, 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 18956982)
Coach Saver space comes out of W.
Coach Choice space comes out of Q. (confirmed by missy)
Coach Full Flex space comes out of Y.

Picture me posting with a bright red face. You and jackal are of course right. I set up the alert for 1 seat but was searching on the AS website for 2 seats. There IS one seat available. Thank you to the person who ever so gently pointed this out to me by PM.

golfingboy Jul 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 18957939)
approximately how long before miles earned on AS (non DL codeshare) post to a Skymiles account?

2 days to a week, 10 days at the most.

GRALISTAIR Jul 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 18958509)
2 days to a week, 10 days at the most.

Thanks - good to know. I flew Friday/Saturday AS 871 HNL-ANC then did the ANC-OTZ-OME-OTZ-ANC - these have not been credited yet. However, the DL codeshare 2.00am ex ANC to SEA Sunday morning has posted.

Happy Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm

CX F North America to Africa

I am looking into an AS F award North America to Africa on CX.

A few basic questions to ask as this is our first AS award.

1) Connection / Stopover / Open Jaw

How is AS defined connection for international award? Is it the <24 hours rule or a more restrictive one?

Does AS allow 1 stopover and an open jaw? either stopover or open jaw?

2) AS flies FLL to SEA, so the ideal route would be FLL-SEA-SFO-HKG-JNB

Since CX flights could open up earlier than AS flights, can I book CX flight first, and later add the AS portion on the itinerary, without paying change fee? Or it would incur fee? (that is to assume booking 3xx days out.)

3) Anyone has experiences in booking HKG-JNB? How is the CX pattern in releasing F seats for this route, similar to that of SFO-HKG for example?
The latter usually see plenty of F seats released starting 10 days before departure.

4) Does AS charge $100 change fee on ANY CHANGE? Or it allows day change for free?

I asked some questions on the HKG-JNB route on the CX forum, which while having almost 200 views, only 1 irrelevant answer that the poster claimed "I made a bad assumption using ASMP to book CX F award North America to Africa"... I honestly dont know what he talks about. The poster either has no knowledge how award booking works, or is having too many sour grapes. :rolleyes:

jackal Jul 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 18958824)
I am looking into an AS F award North America to Africa on CX.

1) I believe it's 24 hours but am not sure. If you want a stopover within the U.S., note that AS only allows stopovers at the international gateway--in your case, SFO--where you transition from AS to the partner carrier. Other stopovers at en-route international cities are dependent on the agreement AS has with the partner carrier.
2) I think I've heard of this working but am not sure. Best to ask AS or wait for someone with more knowledge to post here.
3) I haven't personally paid attention but my recollection of others' posts on FT indicates it is as you say--some seats being opened extremely far in advance and then some more seats being opened within a week or two of departure.
4) The change is on any change whatsoever. Date changes are not exempt. (AS does not discriminate between "simple changes" or "complex changes" or anything like that.) The one exception is that change fees are waived for AS MVPGs.

dsj22 Jul 19, 2012 10:03 pm

CC and Sky Miles

Hi. A couple of questions:

1) Am I able to combine skymiles and Alaska miles for an award flight?
2) When it is time to renew my AS CC, should/could I cancel, then reapply to get the bonus miles?

Thanks.

beckoa Jul 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

1. No- each award must be from miles in one program. There are ways to convert but at a *very* poor conversion.

2. Up to you- I've kept my original one as its one of the older cards I have. Some do try to churn.